The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Meng Char 2 c

Finished. I had a heck of a time with tracks. The track pins are extremely small and

Weak. And the tracks easily came apart when trying to fit them.It was kind of frustrating but

I eventually got it done. Anyway, here's some pictures. Because of their fragility, I chose not to

do additional weathering on the tracks I did give A slight rust wash but it does not really show in the pictures.

https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/forum/57-lsm-work-in-progress/

DSCN0055_1.JPG

DSCN0053.JPG

DSCN0055.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DocRob said:

Very nice and clean build of an interesting vehicle. I believe it would have had more of a psychological effect, than physical. 

Cheers Rob

Thanks. Yes, I agree . Used in actual battle, these tanks would probably have been

sitting ducks against the smaller but more mobile tanks used by the Germans.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• belugawhaleman changed the title to Meng Char 2 c
  • 10 months later...

I really like this tank, and you did a very nice build on the Meng kit. The history of this monster makes for some fascinating reading, all the corruption combined with the "committee" build requirements made for a completely useless tank. But it makes a great model subject, I ended up scratch building a 1/16 R/C model of the Char just because I liked it so much!

2D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, larryb said:

I really like this tank, and you did a very nice build on the Meng kit. The history of this monster makes for some fascinating reading, all the corruption combined with the "committee" build requirements made for a completely useless tank. But it makes a great model subject, I ended up scratch building a 1/16 R/C model of the Char just because I liked it so much!

Thanks. I really would like to see that 1/16 Char of yours!

• Like 1

I took a couple of photos for you but I can't seem to get them to up-load on this forum. I just joined tonight, oh well. If you go on You Tube and put in "Char 2C in 1/16" a short clip of the model should pop up.

Sorry about that, I tried.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, larryb said:

I took a couple of photos for you but I can't seem to get them to up-load on this forum. I just joined tonight, oh well. If you go on You Tube and put in "Char 2C in 1/16" a short clip of the model should pop up.

Sorry about that, I tried.

Is this the video? Pretty Cool!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, larryb said:

... plus an outdated vision of future combats, where tanks were there to support the infantry, which had helped France win WWI. Not many officers believed something else could be done with this new weapon. One of these officers with good acumen was named Charles de Gaulle ...

Hubert

PS: VERY nice rendering. You state well enough the reasons not to touch the tracks anymore than necessary, but some more weathering would enhance them and the tank a lot.

• Like 2

Yes, thats the model running around in my shop. At the time this was taken I still had a bit more work to be done on the model.

Any idea why I can't post photos? Do you have to re-size photos for this site? 

I tried the "drop or drag files" and then it just says "uploading" but nothing happens?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, larryb said:

Yes, thats the model running around in my shop. At the time this was taken I still had a bit more work to be done on the model.

Any idea why I can't post photos? Do you have to re-size photos for this site? 

I tried the "drop or drag files" and then it just says "uploading" but nothing happens?

Not sure what's going wrong there. I simply use the ad files feature when replying, after

which my kindle tablet asks where your files are located and click on the desired file.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HubertB said:

... plus an outdated vision of future combats, where tanks were there to support the infantry, which had helped France win WWI. Not many officers believed something else could be done with this new weapon. One of these officers with good acumen was named Charles de Gaulle ...

Hubert

PS: VERY nice rendering. You state well enough the reasons not to touch the tracks anymore than necessary, but some more weathering would enhance them and the tank a lot.

Yes, I agree about the weathering. If I were to make this model again I would weather the

track links prior to assembly then,carefully, glue the links together using a different

cement. The Tamiya extra thin dissolved the little pins meant to hold the tracks together

making Assembly difficult. The tracks when clicked together without cement would break apart with very little movement. 

• Like 1

Just now, larryb said:

Yep, thats the difference between 1/16 & 1/35 scale.

Yes, I'm a big fan of 1/16 kits! In my stash I have  a lot of them: including those from

Takom, Trumpeter, Classy Hobby, and Das Werk. I'm kind of stalled on a big Trumpeter

T-72b. It needs only masking of the side skirts for final painting and assembly. It's been

dormant for months; but I'll finish it sometime.

• Like 1

I really enjoy the 1/16 scale armor stuff myself, the Tamiya R/C kits and scratch built models make up my collection. I occasionally go to the Danville tank museum and join in the 1/16 IR tank battles that they host. I mostly go to check out what the other modelers have been building, its like an IPMS show but they all run!

That is really irritating about my Apple computer, all of my photos are on this thing and its to much of a pain in the neck to send the photos over to my wife's lap top and then post them. There seems to be some fantastic modelers on this site but I don't see me posting much, I'll just be in the shadows checking out the builds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, larryb said:

I really enjoy the 1/16 scale armor stuff myself, the Tamiya R/C kits and scratch built models make up my collection. I occasionally go to the Danville tank museum and join in the 1/16 IR tank battles that they host. I mostly go to check out what the other modelers have been building, its like an IPMS show but they all run!

That is really irritating about my Apple computer, all of my photos are on this thing and its to much of a pain in the neck to send the photos over to my wife's lap top and then post them. There seems to be some fantastic modelers on this site but I don't see me posting much, I'll just be in the shadows checking out the builds.

Years ago, I built some of the Tamiya 1/16  RC tanks: I built the Sherman, Pershing, and

the Tiger 1. I haven't run them in years. I'm still a novice here when comparing skills

with others on the forum. I posted a couple 1/16 builds here: A Takom Ft 17 in Brazilian

markings and  Takom's type 94 in PLA markings.  I hope you don't decide to stay in the

background as your massive Char shows you have great skills!

Paul

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 6:44 AM, larryb said:

I really enjoy the 1/16 

Larry, your scratch built 2C is amazing, way above my building skills, please show more of your projects as it’s education and inspiration for everyone. LSM is not the kind of forum to be judgemental unlike a few we know. I use an iPad for all my postings and never had a problem, not sure why there is a problem. I’ll check on my Mac Air later. 

• Like 1