The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya P-51 racer Bardahl Miss #49

Wing tips clipped and ready for reworking. As you can see by the photo they have a bit of a angle from top to bottom. That's why I cut them off uneven so I can "mold" the tips into the desired contour (I hope!). 😀

1-21-22 001.jpg

1-21-22 002.jpg

1-21-22 003.jpg

Tip.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Some mighty delicate work and a good plan for sanding in the concave wingtip shape.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Yes indeed Peter. :) Now comes the nitty gritty of shaping the tips. My fingers and toes are crossed!!! LOL

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

This is a whole new genre to explore, looking good John…….

Yes it is! Lots of neat subjects to choose from and a nice change of pace. I plan to do several racers. Thanks!!!:)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Hi John

Clipped wing tips look outstanding and spot on the money. Looking forward to your next update with her wearing the white primer.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter. I'll finish priming this evening and, if it's adequately dry, I'll start with the yellow. This one's coming along a bit faster than I anticipated. I'm still waiting for some props from Grey Matter but I doubt they will arrive soon. Maybe but we will see. Meantime I'm looking around in my stash for a suitable temporary stand in. A Skyraider or Bearcat prop would likely work but I'm not going to rob the prop from my ZM Skyraider and I don't have a Bearcat. 🤪

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John 

Nice find for the prop. Your stash is amazing .... mine is thinner then thin these days.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

LOL Peter! My stash is like a bunch of rabbits! Multiplying all by themselves. Sure comes in handy though! 😄

I plan to start applying the yellow today. The Draw decals arrived Saturday so that's good to go.

Last night I ordered 3 more sets from them: 1/32 P-51C, 1/48 P-38L "Bardahl Lightning", and 1/48 A-26 race # 76. Nothing like planning ahead! LOL

• Haha 2

Now that's a yellow airplane! LOL For now the canopy and prop are not attached, just set in place for the photo. Got all the yellow applied so, after that's had time to adequately dry, I can look at applying some decals. That ought to be fun with all those checks!

1-26-22 B 001.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2022 at 7:49 PM, JohnB said:

I found a suitable prop in a Trumpeter F4U-4 kit I know I'll never build

The Racer looking Good!John what you going to do with the canopy?I gave mine to a guy some 12yrs ago with the intention he replace it on another board never saw that happen.:hsmack:

• Like 1

John

Just catching up as it’s been crazy here with all the construction for the Reno. We’re just about at the point of a needed break, time to start packing up what seems almost everything, so we’re ready for painting and floors.

Awesome progress on Bardahl Miss - just love the multi colored prop and the gloss yellow paint looks perfect. Yup, the checkerboard decals are going to take time but are looking tremendous. She is going to be a ‘stunner’ for sure.

Beautiful work
Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 1