The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

ICM 1/48 He-111 H-6 N.Africa campaign-Finnished

So I went back over the upper surfaces with the 1942 Africa  Sand toning it down a little more about as Far as I go.The bottom sides I used a M.Grey for the panel lines one side I went back over with the RLM 78 better than the other I like the heavier coat but notice I used some sand on that side also blow up the pic me likee!I stopped on the other side knowing I am going to sand the L/S and the R/s some more and go back w/78 and do the white also.The top once the decals get laid I will use some pastels from Tamyia I hope it works any tips on Rob,Gary etc. mucha appreciated.;)

He-111 001.JPG

He-111 002.JPG

He-111 003.JPG

He-111 004.JPG

• Like 7

Looking great Kevin, but can't help with the Tamiya pastels. I bought three packs lately, but haven't used them since. So naturally, I'm interested in your results and observations.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That's looking fantastic Kevin - really nice job!  Subtle indication of the panel lines, great base as you move forward with decaling and weathering.

I've always liked the He111 - I have the Hasegawa 1/72 kit in the stash and was thinking about a desert scheme as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thks for the comments guys I am actually having fun now for I feel some success is happening.I went through with the Sand on the rest of the bottom of the plane including the white then I added a bunch white almost pink and did the top wing,tailplanes and spine I likee toned it down some more one touch-up.I then went back over the bottom with 78 and white to blend .;)

He-111 001.JPG

He-111 002.JPG

He-111 003.JPG

• Like 5

Decals have been applied I know we like thin but man some of these were just to thin I lost several.I have several mistakes in the paint all on the undersides 1) the white under the wings went one panel to far inboard.2) the white band on the tail is 1/16" to wide hint the "A" hit the white centering the "Z" and 3) the RLM 78 was to go much lower between the wing and tailplanes live and learn.I think when done 9 out of 10 people will never notice those mistakes so I march on.I made up the colors for the props,bombs and prop covers.;)

He-111 001.JPG

He-111 002.JPG

He-111 003.JPG

He-111 004.JPG

• Like 9

Kevin, just catching up, work and life getting in the way. Looking absolutely amazing, I did very similar process on the Ju88 North Africa but yours came out so much better. It’s a balancing act when to stop over spraying the Sand. I did like the ICM decals albeit the red lines were tricky. Looking forward to the reveal, congrats on a stunning build….

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh Yeah by the way ICM did not provide a swastika  so that one was supplied by Trumpter from a 1/24 scale Me-109 kit.The pic that Martin through up in the beginning of the post make it look about the right size.;)

• Like 3

On 5/31/2022 at 4:59 PM, KevinM said:

Oh Yeah by the way ICM did not provide a swastika  so that one was supplied by Trumpter from a 1/24 scale Me-109 kit.The pic that Martin through up in the beginning of the post make it look about the right size.;)

Fell foul of that one to, I bought a sheet of crosses and crooked crosses in 1/48 from Techmod only about £6.00….

B87BD979-083D-42A8-BC4F-44AB4E81F84E.thumb.jpeg.fb0f67a86360898adce8eca210752b91.jpeg

• Like 2

I busted out a box of pastels using a light white grey and an even lighter sand mixed started some blending.I had the airbrush set up with some flat I coat spray coat till I was happy....I think I am happy with the wings and the L/Tailplane.The build is starting to come together just longer than most for me at least it's getting artistic ATTM.;)

He-111 001.JPG

He-111 002.JPG

• Like 7

Phil that 1/24 decal gets me in the 600MM range.I am for the most have completed the shading on the plane and it starting to look like a He-111 methinks.The fuse itself on the sides did not get as much dusting as everything else seeing the top surfaces would fade faster.The bombs well I plan to use some dr. green pastels to blend it in better.I have small things from here on out nothing mayor I hope unless I cause it.;)

He-111 001.JPG

He-111 002.JPG

He-111 003.JPG

He-111 004.JPG

• Like 7

Very nice weathering up top!  Depending on the amount of suffering you desire...   The Jumo 211 could lose a fair amount of oil and belch a lot of...   stuff.

16-1.thumb.jpg.55bf3f33f1d3dfedb271a29315fb65a0.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• KevinM changed the title to ICM 1/48 He-111 H-6 N.Africa campaign-Finnished

I can't say enough about the quality of ICM kits another little jewel I have never seen before maybe you guys have?The wing tip light have a long extension that fits into the wing being clear you paint the extension and the tip becomes the color thought it was neat and well thought out looks more natural.

And then theirs my boy Gaz aka Gary  just prodding me along :lol: So I did a little not much to the bottom Gary these planes could lay down some really serious exhaust staining I went light.

Then the ole Boy(Gaz) had to go say this"No German plane looks right without external gunsights on their defensive weapons. " :brickwall: So I added them Gary just for you.;)

He-111 001.JPG

He-111 002.JPG

He-111 003.JPG

He-111 004.JPG

He-111 005.JPG

He-111 006.JPG

He-111 007.JPG

• Like 4