The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya Spitfire MkXVIe Question

Getting ready to start my next aircraft build: the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk XVIe. I've ordered already quite a bit of AM detail sets from Barracuda and have the Quinta 3D Decals set as well. So far, I've built two Tamiya Spitfires so I'm not expecting any surprises 🤞

I wanted to try using the Montex mask set for this build (I never used masks before), but they specify it is for the Tamiya Mk XVI kit and Tamiya does not make that version, just the Mk XVIe. I know the differences between the two marks are exterior wise nominal, but the big difference is the Mk XVI has the RR Merlin 66 engine while the Mk XVIe has the US license built 266 version. From my research they aren't the same and are not interchangeable. There are also a few external differences on the cowling due to the different engines. Without being any more long winded, are the Montex markings marked incorrectly and are for the Packed Merlin version or are they in fact correct for the PP Merlin version? I'm guessing the RR version is also in the kit with so many parts not being used. I want to stick with the Packard 266 Merlin as the kit is intended to be.

dP608g.jpg

I found a set of Life LIke decals which seem to be direct replacement for the kit decals. I haven't bought either yet and hoping to be able to buy the Montex set.

ZziLns.jpg

Much appreciate

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kev

I've built more Tamiya Mustangs and Spits then any other type in my display case and this bad boy will bring the total to six. Biting the bit to start but need a few more modeling work sessions to finish  up my GT40 and then the Spitfire is front and center. I'm still waiting for my good size Barracuda Resin order but when I ready to start and it's not here, I'll jump on the engine first.

BTW, there are more Tamiya Mustangs and Spitfires in the stash - just can never have enough.

Keep 'em comin

Peter 

• Like 4

Peter, the Montex masks are fine for the Tamiya kit. As Dennis mentioned, the XVI denoted the Packard Merlin versus the RR one. So you could have both high- and low-back XVIs. One thing with the masks. Montex use a very thick and not very flexible material for the canopy masks. I've found on curved areas they tend to lift very easily. So use with caution. 

The Lifelike decals are very nice. They do several sheets but some may be sold out. 

Carl

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Montex use a very thick and not very flexible material for the canopy masks. I've found on curved areas they tend to lift very easily. So use with caution. 

I found that out on the He-111 nothing that a toothpick could not fix but still.:hsmack:

• Like 2

Peter, try the following. 

https://shop.maketar.com/

You have the choice of Kabuki or vinyl for the masking material. The vinyl is the grey one that most folks like. 

They often use the discount code Maketar so give that a try when you check out. 

Edit: if you do place an order with them, check out their Utility masks. I've found the sheet they do of circles to be very handy for masking small circles. 

https://shop.maketar.com/?product=yellow-kabuki-masking-circles

Carl

• Like 4

If in doubt, I would always chose the Kabuki variant if available. I had very mixed results with different types of vinyl masks. They are not as flexible, do not adhere as well, tend to shrink more, than Kabuki. I used masks from Maketar on several builds and they were perfect. The circular masks, Carl recommended are really very helpful.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Rob

I ordered the mask set from Maketar and when it arrives in 2-3 weeks, I'll post some pics in the upcoming build thread and do a test or two. Will be looking for all the advice I can get then as I never used a mask set for any of my builds.

Keep 'em comin

Peter 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1