The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

A Gutless challenge - Fisher’s mighty F7-U3 M. The work resumes …

• 1 month later...

The pleasure was for me, Fran. 
(Yesterday, we had a full-fledged meeting of the LSM Portuguese contingent, around a bottle of wine and some BBQ-grilled fish. To quote Fran seeing my in-progress builds, my bench and witnessing my tool-addiction : « You’re crazy ! » 🤣😂🤣. Guilty as charged you Honor 🤪 !)

And, btw, Fran’s WnW biplanes are fantastic, and one took a well-deserved medal 🥇 at Modelscala Montijo (knowing another one was not competing, having won last year).

A great time together 👍 !

Hubert

• Like 5

• HubertB changed the title to A Gutless challenge - Fisher’s mighty F7-U3 M. The work resumes …

Well, after a 9-months plus hiatus (enough time to have a baby - only this is waaayyyy beyond my current capacities :) ), moving to a new house, completing a mile-long to-do list, I have sat again at the bench in earnest.

So I’m back at the Cutlass. 

After adding a few bits and bobs in the front landing gear well, I have splashed some paint to blend everything together, and painted the details. The front LG well is now finished :piliot: !

IMG_3543-338x450.jpg

IMG_3542-338x450.jpg

IMG_3546-600x450.jpg

And I have started working on the boundary layer exhaust vanes. If you have followed Scott’s build thread, you know there is a gap (about 1.5 / 2.0 mm wide) on each side of the front fuselage, where it meets the intakes. The boundary layer exhaust vanes are flush with the front fuselage, so have to be modified.

Scott modified his, but I have decided to reproduce the original exhaust vanes system. It is a series of S-shaped plates, that start horizontally between the intake and the front fuselage, and duct the boundary layer air to exit on the top fuselage. I am using a thin Evergreen strip shaped by hand, and CA-glued to the intakes inner side. Each one has to be adjusted before gluing the next one, so it’s a time-consuming process, with long waiting times to let the glue and putty dry before adding the next strip. Here is  strip #1 glued on tne left intake.

IMG_3547-338x450.jpg

In the meantime, whilst I wait for the strip to be finished I am trying to improve my figures-painting skills. More on that in a separate thread :)

Hubert, happy to be back modelling.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Great to see you back at the bench Hubert. That's quite the journey to get back to it. 

The boundary layer vanes look to be quite the job but you're got a great if tedious solution to it. 

Carl

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It´s not often, that you get the chance to see two Cutlass´s being build. Now that you showed us your new beautiful cave, there is no way around progress ;).
It will be interesting to see, how Scott and you tackle the problem areas of this demanding build. Landing gear bay looks nice and busy.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DocRob said:

It´s not often, that you get the chance to see two Cutlass´s being build. Now that you showed us your new beautiful cave, there is no way around progress ;).
It will be interesting to see, how Scott and you tackle the problem areas of this demanding build. Landing gear bay looks nice and busy.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob,

I confess it’s a constant personal challenge to choose between my AMS that pushes me to add more and more details, and a realistic view that most of these details are invisible or unnoticeable for 99.9 % of the population, and that I am growing older with a significant stash to reduce, therefore I can less and less afford to spend a lot of time satisfying my AMS …

My excuse for the Cutlass is that the nose landing gear bay should be visible with the high stance of the F 7-U. I will spend far less time on the main landing gear bays ( but I’ll still add some details, because I can :) ).

Mind you, adding details is also probably a way of procrastinating before I have to paint the kit, as it’s never been my favorite part of a kit build. But then, seeing Peter’s and John’s builds always reminds me that this where you can get a decent-looking or a great-loooking kit ;).

My Cutlass will be a VA-83 F 7U-3M in NMF, so a challenge in itself …

Hubert

• Like 5

Hubert

Absolutely a treat to see your Cutlass back on the bench and underway as the first project to be worked on in your new home and Man Cave. Completely agree about as the years march on, learning to cut ties and limit the amount of AMS is so very important in my eyes as well.  I'm close to 77 now and just enjoying what is in the box has moved to the top of my modeling list, with detailing falling close to the bottom. 

As Rob pointed out, it's a rare day to be able to follow two Fisher Cutlasses under way - what a treat for sure. 

:construction: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to seeing this beauty continue to develop.  There is always the challenge of how much detail to add, versus how much will actually be seen, versus us knowing what work we've put into the build. These build threads are a wonderful way to capture so much of that 'inside' work that won't really be seen, but still adds to our satisfaction of the build.

Keep up the great work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now that’s a level of detail and attention that would have me tossing mine in the can next to Carl’s B-25’s.  
If anyone can do this, it’s you Hubert! 

• Like 2