The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Italeri M.T.M. "Barchino" 1:35 - Completed

Last group build was so much fun, so I'll take the plunge again and dip my toes into the water 😛

As first entry I selected the small motor boat from Italeri, M.T.M. Barchino. These small modified recreational motor boats were designed to be driven towards an enemy ship. The boat would break up upon collision with the target and the 300+ kg depth charge like device would sink under the ship and detonate a few meters under water.

In May 1941 three MTMs managed to sneak into Suda Bay harbour in Crete and sink the cruiser HMS York and tanker Pericles.

There is only one sprue, a small PE sheet and a reference manual in the box.

MTM-1.jpg

MTM-3.jpg

MTM-2.jpg

MTM-4.jpg

• Like 10

• 3 months later...

I guess it's time for a small update. The next step was the tiny photoetched hinges on top the boat. I managed to lose at least two or three of of them while trying to glue them in place. Luckily, Italeri had provided plenty of spares. I almost gave up on them, but there they are, with unnecessarily large globs of glue.. :lol:

Some priming to be done later.

pe-1.thumb.jpg.fbd02b819794ffb50e128f93bb6dd150.jpg

pe-3.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The motor boat has been primed and it has gotten couple of layers of greyish paint on top as well.

Primed-2.thumb.jpg.fbf695cc2b423f245314cf9677025da8.jpg558469597_Greypaint-1.thumb.jpg.6fc93b3edd6d40c525380a68a9f4dc8e.jpg

I was going to do some painting on the depth charge but I'm losing interest in this project. The internal parts are most likely going to be hidden anyway.

Here is one picture of the driver's seat. The pe dashboard turned out quite nice just by painting it. The kit had decals, but they didn't provide much more detail in my opinion. Not much will be seen anyway once the driver's cabin is installed.

1307898667_greydetail.thumb.jpeg.f32aaf4eabd2b4fb99c119383f2df4fb.jpeg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 3:52 AM, GazzaS said:

Looking good.  Wonder if there are any Italian sailor figgies to go with it?

Sorry, somehow I missed your question. 😬

There is one "Luigi" in the box to stand proudly on the side of the boat. I would have liked to have a sitting driver inside the boat, but that'll do.

Luigi.thumb.jpg.6d3b206f54817ebb0b32494ed916db42.jpg

Figure painting was a new thing for me. I have watched some youtube tutorials, but there's so much to learn 🥵 Black rubber suit doesn't make it any easier to make it less boring.

I have pretty much finished the boat, I'll post some pictures of the finished model later.

Br, Jani

• Like 4

Last progress pictures before "ready" pictures.

The pilot's office is rather plain, but not much can be seen after the flotation device is attached

cback-1_crop.thumb.jpeg.fba4e56907e5141ead3ca4c9596a5651.jpeg.

This is a life raft for the pilot, the idea is to eject the cushion before impact. The driver would float on the surface and avoid the effects of the underwater explosion. Italians were not doing any kamikaze runs. The boat driver would most likely be captured, as the poor pilots early implementation of a SUP board doesn't even have a paddle. Of course, it would be quite a long paddle from Crete to Italy as an example. :lol:

leftback-2.thumb.jpg.f89014fa2af1d24f48ed137c81a493ba.jpg

The driver figure is here for showing the scale. These were quite small boats. The 330 kg charge was quite effective in the attack on Souda Bay, Crete. Six small boats managed to damage the heavy cruiser HMS York and an oil tanker, Pericles. All six Italian sailors survived the attack, but were captured by the British.

right-1.thumb.jpg.588f01844095574e3ff9a372380b176c.jpg

I was planning to paint the interior in more detail, but lost interest in the middle of the build. The top hatch and explosive remain unglued, so I have the option of returning to that part later.

Br, Jani

• Like 3

I'm not entirely happy with the figure, but now it is time to move on to next builds. I'm not really happy with the weathering on the boat either. More pictures in the ready for inspection section soon.

left-1.thumb.jpeg.808f26a3a1b43fb430ae0071faa24a8a.jpegopen-1.thumb.jpeg.870be3e9d844261186ce87a1d630f7f4.jpeg

back-1.thumb.jpeg.7b2d327a46f0c4353f54383ec99cc767.jpeg

• Like 2

• telepatu changed the title to Italeri M.T.M. "Barchino" 1:35 - Completed
On 6/8/2023 at 10:58 PM, KevinM said:

I still find it quite interesting and a worthy subject matter and the weathering might actually be overdone seeing these probably were put to use rather quickly?:dontknow:

Yes, that was my thought as well. I don't know if they had separate training boats, which would have become dirtier during their lifetime. Some surviving specimen were rather dirty. I retrospect I should've done more weathering on the sides since the top is "greasy".

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgZ1gMthcr5t3D_ZVhCe5teDt03FIY0eC3CZDsGeJST9rm-b2ThN3vpdcd9-np0xsl4mi-JP3Ly3XSfdihRxAReD7EILIpOOZj_rPAynpGBexl1jCAMR3A1Af0ukR_oAumNXKrZXpnbnW1Y5yUHC9EOhMqwk0xHfWxHUEr9_OM0-xocjSPcoaiDpXzG/s1088/MTM%20Barchino%20w%20Crew%20history%20(2).jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1