Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

USS Arizona - 1/350

Thank you Hubert, I think, cutting and sanding will come first and rebuilding and putty only second, thanks to many PE parts substituting the plastic.
I wish, could be so confident like you. Until now, it's an experiment for me.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

Rob, You are doing amazing work and your patience is being well rewarded.  Can't wait to see more of your PE work since I'll NEVER undertake such an effort myself!

I used to cut PE on a glass plate.  It does dull the knife blades, but I've started using a sharpening stone on those blades.  That works pretty well, actually.  Lately, my go-to for PE cutting is a pair of Xuron PE Shears and I LOVE them, the Xuron 9180ET shears.  They are super sharp scissors and cut PE beautifully.

image.thumb.jpeg.8dee9e75e7c8cec352e9415cb2082e16.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Rob, You are doing amazing work and your patience is being well rewarded.  Can't wait to see more of your PE work since I'll NEVER undertake such an effort myself!

I used to cut PE on a glass plate.  It does dull the knife blades, but I've started using a sharpening stone on those blades.  That works pretty well, actually.  Lately, my go-to for PE cutting is a pair of Xuron PE Shears and I LOVE them, the Xuron 9180ET shears.  They are super sharp scissors and cut PE beautifully.

5 hours ago, KevinM said:

I use the cardboard backing that comes with the PE on glass with a new blade.

Thank you CANicoll and Kevin, I will try the tips from both of you, as I have some PE scissors and sharp bladed cutters. I don't think, the cardboard /glass combo will work with the ultra fine railings and I doubt my hand is stable enough to cut them loose with a scissor or cutter either, but for other parts this might work perfectly.
I have a Japanese grindstone with two different grains, to re-sharpen my blades.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

Rob

Delicate and beautiful work. Nothing as demanding as the precision of PE work. especially on ship models. Terrific work on correcting the Big Guns and the gun turrets are looking so good.

One channels I've been following for years is The Model Shop and Steve is in a league by himself with his 1/200 ship build plus he also does aircraft. I've followed his HMS Hood build to conclusion and now he is about halfway through the 1/200 Bismark. His intricate PE work, mainly full Pontos sets is amazing and he always cuts the PE from the fret with a sharp blade. How he even sees the parts is beyond me and I find his work inspiring and well beyond my capabilities. 

• Like 3

On 1/22/2023 at 11:58 AM, Bomber_County said:

Nice PE work Rob, it can be frustrating as hell but when it works it brilliant, carry on we need to see more……..l…

Thank you Phil, I continued with the PE and as far as it works, it has a relaxing component, but I fear, there will be issues later. I hope, I do not blow away half of the detail with the airbrush later.

I finalized the first catapult today, where a ton of parts went in. This is mounted on turret #three and is luckily the more complicated of the two catapults, which sent the Kingfishers skywards.

P1000234.thumb.JPG.4b54c309abf206ff3614ddeb9ab7be47.JPG

P1000236.thumb.JPG.7e44218e035129e0539a881bd1a31d66.JPG

P1000237.thumb.JPG.84ec971f190d24c200eb5f0ebad26210.JPG

P1000238.thumb.JPG.de6033ea8b7060dee6774b315dc86f65.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

That looks awesome, Rob.  One thing I hate to bend so far is ladders.  They actually sent a build to the SOD.  But I just saw a video the other day on how to do it.  So, hopefully I can get my Marinenmojo back on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, HubertB said:

Wow, Rob, I know I’d never be able to fold and glue PE, especially of this size, without sending it on a Moon-circumventing trajectory ;)

There is no verdict on this build until now. Your choice isn't too abstract at all, Hubert ;).

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Awesome PE work and it looks so good. PE work of this level is something I have never mastered.

I'm working on piecing together decals and markings for my Kingfisher as she looked with her Yellow Wings aboard the USS Arizona. 

Thank you Peter, I haven't done this kind of PE work either. First, I considered soldering, but I fear, some parts will become too weak through the necessary heat. My whole bench is cluttered with tools and I use two different types of CA, one liquid, fast- and one gel like slow curing.

Can't wait to see your yellow wing Kingfisher, mine will be blue, as I build the late USS Arizona.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

12 hours ago, KevinM said:

You are doing some Nice work there Rob sure you are no surgeon?:hsmack:

Thanks Kevin and yes, it's called plastic surgery :D. The good thing, there is no loss of blood other than bad blood, when I fail.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GazzaS said:

That looks awesome, Rob.  One thing I hate to bend so far is ladders.  They actually sent a build to the SOD.  But I just saw a video the other day on how to do it.  So, hopefully I can get my Marinenmojo back on.

Thank you for pointing out, that I glued the ladder flat onto the turret, except bending it properly Gary :D. It's 1/350 and nobody except you will ever see it and I will burn my macro lens.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Rob

Originally, I was leaning towards the tri-tone scheme but you started me thing about the Pre War scheme and that's all it took. I discovered one extra bonus so far building the Kingfisher: the Oldie but Goodie kits from the 1960 and 70' shed a new light and appreciation on the incredible kits of today 

• Like 2

Looking great Rob!  I’m playing around with PE on my Seaview build currently.  My next challenge, if I accept it, is tiny 1/128 scale lounge chairs and a table.   I might skip them since I feel they might clutter up the area and I’m afraid they might come unglued and roll around in the interior. 
Your skills and patience is amazing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DocRob said:

Thanks Kevin and yes, it's called plastic surgery

Dentist are good at Wooden Ships and PE also that's why I asked.I will say should you  dive deeper into 1/350:dontknow: I did bend the ends of the ladders on the Chikuma i liked the effect.;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

Looking great Rob!  I’m playing around with PE on my Seaview build currently.  My next challenge, if I accept it, is tiny 1/128 scale lounge chairs and a table.   I might skip them since I feel they might clutter up the area and I’m afraid they might come unglued and roll around in the interior. 
Your skills and patience is amazing. 

Thank you Scott, I had some PE items folded up for my 1/144 build of the Nautilus, like the chair and the railings. Until today, they are in place. I'm sometimes astonished about the bonding capabilities of CA, given the tiny gluing areas.

IMG_6975.thumb.JPG.22302151136486ea8119a0ebcdad5ccd.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, KevinM said:

Dentist are good at Wooden Ships and PE also that's why I asked.I will say should you  dive deeper into 1/350:dontknow: I did bend the ends of the ladders on the Chikuma i liked the effect.;)

It's not so much about the bending Kevin, it's more that I try to achieve a bit of robustness with my builds. I hate parts cluttering around and these ladders are very exposed during painting and weathering.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DocRob said:

I hate parts cluttering around and these ladders are very exposed during painting and weathering.

Oh they are Rob I did the turret ladders in the end and hand painted them have fun with it and do what pleases You!;)

and do remember breaking one of then and redoing.

• Like 4