The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

F4U-1D Corsair - Tamiya

After visiting with my brother on our recent trip, I got the idea to build this and give it to him. He likes the corsair.

DpJJ6F.jpg

I thought I'd build it pretty much OOB. I might pick up some resin wheels. Probably one of the paint schemes in the kit, but I may make masks to paint the markings. See if I get it done in time for NATS, since we're going that way.

• Like 7

If you are going to build a Corsair you couldn't have picked a better kit!!! A real nice kit that builds up well and will be a standout.  I've built 16 of 'em! -1 Birdcage,  -1A Framed Bubbletop and -1D Clear Bubbletop. Needless to say, I like the kits!:)

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm slowly making headway. Still working on the Barracudacals Cockpit stencil decals, right-side console to go yet.

4YEbUJ.jpg

I did have wires attached to the wireway. In bending the first wire into place and placing the end at the cylinder head I managed to break it loose. While trying to place it, I broke two more loose. 😖 Soooo, I removed them all. 😡 I'm sure I can work out the wires to the front side of the front cylinders, but I haven't worked out how I'm going to place the other wires. I'm sure the wire I was using is too stiff for the purpose, so now to contemplate how I'm going to accomplish the task. Onward, lots to do!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Great work on the engine and cockpit parts, everything looks crisp and clean. For wiring, I use lead wire, which you can purchase from different companies, like PlusModel or Ask. I have an assortment of different diameters and they are supersoft and good to glue with CA.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ready to close up the fuselage. I like the results of the Barracuda cockpit stencils despite the work. Perhaps a Quinta cockpit for the next one. It worked out well in the Trumpeter F4U-4 I finished recently.

4V50sV.jpg

xVcS4W.jpg

AIAKHj.jpg

AYH15u.jpg

• Like 7