The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Stress relief in a box!!! Tamiya Corsair

After all the hassle with the ZM '109 and the Hasegawa Oscar I decided I need a break! So, I'm going back to one of my old favorites which I have always enjoyed building. Good ol' Tamiya F4U-1D!!!!!! (As this was my last one in the stash I HAD to pick up a couple more on ebay, another -1D and a Birdcage.) :)

Stay tuned Peanut Gallery!!!!!

s-l500.png

s-l500.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Daywalker said:

WOOHOO!  I am currently building the -1D myself, just can't get enough Tamiya Corsairs!  I know you've built quite a few of them, this is my third (with 14 more in the stash to build!)

Way to go Frank! Love those Tamiya Corsairs!!!! :)

• Like 3

John - I will be watching this one, as there are a couple of areas during the build that I have struggled with on all three builds of mine.  Especially, getting a good strong even joint between the outer wing panels and the center section with the wings extended.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Daywalker said:

John - I bet now you're regretting selling those F4U Decals! 😔

LOL Frank. I thought about that! No problem though. I'm planning to do one of the schemes in the kit, yellow markings. Not that exact a/c but one in that squadron with 1 kill marking.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

A double build! Now that's one way to challenge yourself John. 

No, just the -1D. I posted photos of the 2 I just ordered. Plus I set the Oscar aside for a bit so I can concentrate on the Corsair. I'll return to it in a little while. :)

• Like 1

Cockpit mostly done. I wanted to use a Quinta cockpit but was unable to find one available so I just used the kit plus Barracuda decals.:) This FG-1D is the a/c I plan to do. (Photo from Vol.2 of the F4U-1 Corsair by Dana Bell.)

FG-1D.jpg

4-22-23 002.jpg

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

With your skills John, i don't think you'd get better results with the Quinta set. 

LOL Carl. Oh I dunno, those Quinta sets sure are nice! I appreciate the thought though.:)

• Like 1

John ... 

You're going to end up building more Corsairs than Vought!! ... Have you ever thought about building any clipped wing FAA types??

Good to see you've built some other kits though ... Maybe a Tamiya Mosquito next? lol

Rog :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Artful69 said:

John ... 

You're going to end up building more Corsairs than Vought!! ... Have you ever thought about building any clipped wing FAA types??

Good to see you've built some other kits though ... Maybe a Tamiya Mosquito next? lol

Rog :)

Thanks! Yes, I have thought about a RN Corsair build and I have the decals on hand. I plan to build one of those sometime. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nice work on the front office - looking mighty good. 

I keep buying Quinta sets for rainy days as I've found out, as you did with the Corsair, don't wait until needed - they tend to sell out very quickly.

Thanks Peter. I'll have to consider doing that. The kit interior builds up nicely especially when you add some Barracuda decals. :)

• Like 1

• JohnB changed the title to Stress relief in a box!!! Tamiya Corsair