The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Stress relief in a box!!! Tamiya Corsair

John

Amazing progress as always. The R2800 rear and exhausts look mighty good and the Victor cowl set looks; wow - love the details and crispness of the molding. Can you imagine what Tamiya could turn out today in detail and molding in 32nd scale, seeing how their new 48th scale kits are incredible. Just don't think that will ever happen as my gut feeling, is Tamiya have left 32nd scale when it comes to producing any new kits and all that is manufactured are the kits that are already in it's hanger. 

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Amazing progress as always. The R2800 rear and exhausts look mighty good and the Victor cowl set looks; wow - love the details and crispness of the molding. Can you imagine what Tamiya could turn out today in detail and molding in 32nd scale, seeing how their new 48th scale kits are incredible. Just don't think that will ever happen as my gut feeling, is Tamiya have left 32nd scale when it comes to producing any new kits and all that is manufactured are the kits that are already in it's hanger. 

Keep 'em comin

Peter

I've had that Vector set for a good while but just never had used it until now. Better late than never! I think it adds some nice detail to the model. :)

It's too bad Tamiya isn't issuing any more 32nd kits as there are many subjects they could address (F4U-4, P-47 razorback, P-51B/C, etc).

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, shark64 said:

Looks sharp. I think when Mr Tamiya died making new kits became to expensive and are concentrating on their RC line.

Thank you. I didn't know he had passed. I hope the folks running things now will some day soon remember us 32nd guys. :)

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Wings look spot on for sure, not that you haven't had any practice and a few Corsairs under your belt😉

Thanks Peter. As I found out, there is still room for screwups which I won't detail out here but suffice it to say they are corrected now.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 4:19 PM, Daywalker said:

John - I will be watching this one, as there are a couple of areas during the build that I have struggled with on all three builds of mine.  Especially, getting a good strong even joint between the outer wing panels and the center section with the wings extended.

Easy peasy Frank. Just clip off the end of the rod going to the outboard wing flaps. It is usually the culprit and isn't seen when the build is completed anyway. I have at times had to thin down the main spars that insert into the outer wings to keep them from interfering with a easy fit (add a little petroleum jelly on 'em if they still won't slide in easily 🤪.)

1521061631_4-28-23B001.jpg.130f15dc6fb33ce3ab82d898dd147a53.jpg

• Like 6

I built the Monogram Corsair in 1979.  I can still remember the terrible mess I made of the wing joins at the fold.

You make it look easy, John.  But I still don't think it would provide me stress relief...lol

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

I built the Monogram Corsair in 1979.  I can still remember the terrible mess I made of the wing joins at the fold.

You make it look easy, John.  But I still don't think it would provide me stress relief...lol

Thanks Gaz. After that ZM '109 and Hasegawa Oscar the Corsair is for sure a stress reliever for me. 🤪

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnB said:

Easy peasy Frank. Just clip off the end of the rod going to the outboard wing flaps. It is usually the culprit and isn't seen when the build is completed anyway. I have at times had to thin down the main spars that insert into the outer wings to keep them from interfering with a easy fit (add a little petroleum jelly on 'em if they still won't slide in easily 🤪.)

John

Great tip for sure and I still have a few more Tamiya Corsairs in my stash .. please remind me down the road if I forget.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnB said:

Good to know John, wish I knew that last night when I glued mine on. 🤪

While not perfect, I did get them a bit closer than the last two I built.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nice progress for sure, moving along at your customary mighty clip. 

I was undecided whether or not to paint the yellow stripes or use the decals. I think painting them is the right way to go though as they will look better than decals. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Agreed - painting is the way to go

I have to admit...   I'll take a easy good decal over some difficult masking every time.  Sharp work, John.

• Like 1