The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RNZAF F4U-1A

Since I haven't done a New Zealand a/c before I guess it's about time to do one. Tamiya -1A (of course) with Eaglecal decals for this nice looking bird. In keeping with my usual procedure I paint most of the parts while they are still on the sprue. A little touch-up will be needed later but this process works well for me. Finished off the seat first using Eduard steel belts which are very flexible and not real stiff.

RNZAF F4U-1A-1.jpg

5-17-23 001.jpg

5-17-23 002.jpg

• Like 9

John

Great choice for your next Corsair build - decals and markings look mighty interesting. I'm just the opposite and remove move all the parts needed for each step and then paint them. Your method sure seems a lot faster and a lot less repetitious. 

Nice start on the seat and the belts look good. Did you anneal them to make them more bendable?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Great choice for your next Corsair build - decals and markings look mighty interesting. I'm just the opposite and remove move all the parts needed for each step and then paint them. Your method sure seems a lot faster and a lot less repetitious. 

Nice start on the seat and the belts look good. Did you anneal them to make them more bendable?

Thanks. Didn't have to anneal them as they were very bendable unlike other steel belts I've used and had to anneal.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Looks great John. The RNZAF Corsairs really got beat in use. This give lots of opportunity fora weathered finish or something even more extreme like one that's half tricolor and half GSB.

Thanks Carl! It will have to really be weathered for sure. :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Base cammo looks perfect. Looking forward to your next update with the weathering applied and on the homestretch. 

Thanks Peter. We'll see how it goes with the weathering as it's easy to overdo it, etc. The RNZAF birds were usually very weathered and ratty looking. 🙄

• Like 1