The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Burning Hellcat photos

JohnB

I've seen the 1st photo before and the other three also but had never put 2 and 2 together that they are all the same Hellcat (as near as I can tell). He landed on the USS Cowpens on fire. The fire crews had their work cut out for them. You can see in the 1st photo the a/c number on the fuselage is #3. The 2nd photo is a/c #3 also as is the 3rd photo (and you can see in the background the stacks of the carrier which shows it's a light carrier which Cowpens was).  Can't see any numbers on the last photo but it obviously is the same a/c. Very interesting I think! It would be great to see other photos of this incident. :)

#3 on fire.jpg

#3 on fire 4.jpg

#3 on fire 2.jpg

#3 on fire 3.jpg

• Like 3

I'm amazed the underwing tank didn't go off.  If flame and smoke weren't so diaphanous, it would make a great diorama.  I know...  there are dios out there showing flame and smoke...   but they only work when seen from a distance.  One hint of a cotton fibre or a hard edge...   and the illusion is gone and it looks like crap.

• Like 5

24 November 1943

Caption says:

The pilot was Lieutenant (Junior Grade) Alfred W. Magee Jr., USNR  from Fighting Squadron 25 (VF-25) aboard the light aircraft carrier USS Cowpens (CVL-25) evacuates his burning Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat (BuNo 66101) after landing unaware that it was on fire, during the Gilberts Operation, 24 November 1943. Firefighters are rushing to the plane, and put out the flames in a minute and a half, with no casualties. The fire started as the Hellcat approached Cowpens for an emergency landing.

copwens.thumb.jpeg.090c6b3eb2f2f284654446ee36a29903.jpeg  

43 b.jpg

43 a.jpg

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

24 November 1943

Caption says:

The pilot was Lieutenant (Junior Grade) Alfred W. Magee Jr., USNR  from Fighting Squadron 25 (VF-25) aboard the light aircraft carrier USS Cowpens (CVL-25) evacuates his burning Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat (BuNo 66101) after landing unaware that it was on fire, during the Gilberts Operation, 24 November 1943. Firefighters are rushing to the plane, and put out the flames in a minute and a half, with no casualties. The fire started as the Hellcat approached Cowpens for an emergency landing.

copwens.thumb.jpeg.090c6b3eb2f2f284654446ee36a29903.jpeg  

43 b.jpg

43 a.jpg

Thanks for the additional photos and info Martin! :) I wonder if they dumped the F6F overboard. Probably.

• Like 3

My pleasure John, you are right. The structural damage caused by the heat sealed its fate. Ignition temperature of aluminium alloy is approximately  1000 degrees celsius, melting point is reached at around 700 C. Gasoline burns on max. flame temperature,  slightly over 1000C degrees. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I'm amazed the underwing tank didn't go off.  If flame and smoke weren't so diaphanous, it would make a great diorama.  I know...  there are dios out there showing flame and smoke...   but they only work when seen from a distance.  One hint of a cotton fibre or a hard edge...   and the illusion is gone and it looks like crap.

Diaphanous? Were you not a Marine at some point? I thought it was illegal for Marines to use such flowery language. 

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, biggtim said:

Diaphanous? Were you not a Marine at some point? I thought it was illegal for Marines to use such flowery language. 

This is what happens when you read a lot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 months later...