Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

MiniArt P-47D Thunderbolt: COMPLETED 2/13/24

14 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

IT’S AIR BRUSH TIME

While waiting for mask set to arrive, I tackled the cowl and cowl flaps which I thought would be a snap … oh, little did I know.

Trying to fit the nose cowling assembly onto the fuselage was a bit of a struggle, just too tight. Appears to have been a case of too many parts needing to fit together precisely and that wasn’t in the cards for me.

The upper fuselage radio mast I was so careful not to break off during most of the build, I managed to finally break it off and was not reusable. A new antenna was fabricated, test fitted but will not be added until the end of the build – I just know if I add it now, it’s a sure fired bet I’ll break it off again.

Finally, with the Eduard mask set in hand, the canopy glass was masked and glued into place. The front windshield required a lot of tweaking to get close but for sure, no cigar.

One last polishing, wipe down, initial masking and the Jug was ready for priming. I used the kit’s ‘In Flight” main gear doors to mask off the gear bays and they were a bit big, needing some slight trimming.

The correct underside color has turned into a minefield, as to what color the 78FS undersides actually were. One thing for sure, it was not RAF Sky. My main source for online research kept referring to both Dana Bell and Roger Freedman’s research, who both initially referred to the underside color as Sky and later on calling referred to it as light gray. I decided the color was a medium gray and my final choice was MRP Light Ghost Gray – close enough for me, as Neutral Gray seemed a bit too dark. Does all this really matter – nope, not at all, just a bit of Sherlock Holmes fun.

The freehand cammo went on without a hitch and after 24 hours to dry, it was time for a good two days of masking for the invasion stripes, which were then accomplished in two stages. What a pain and a test of nerves.

The engine cowling was masked off as the Tamiya Lacquer Gloss White would serve as a nice base for the checkerboard nose decals, the white stripes on all the tail surfaces were also air brushed. In the end, way too much unforeseen masking; but it’s done.

The painting guide showed the gear doors invasion stripes were not painted showing the stripes as straight lines across the undersides of the wings matching that of the wing's invasion stripes but rather the pattern is length wise across the doors. I’ve seen this a few times before in photos and always wondered why the ground crew painted them this way unless it was faster and easier – who knows.   

Still a good deal of detail painting to do but I'm making progress, slowly, oh so slowly.

hwVSGO.jpg

S0HtBt.jpg

N9lvKc.jpg

RBDrhC.jpg

That's looking great, Peter!

• Like 2

On 1/27/2024 at 9:59 PM, Peterpools said:

Thanks Kev. Started playing around with it and I'm planning on doing a bit of very light      heavy weathering ... OMG, what did I say? See how it goes.

Go on Peter give it the full monty ! 

• Like 2

Hi Kev

Not much bench time the past few weeks with doctor appointments and procedures for my wife and myself. Have been making progress and by the weekend hoping to have another update and the decaling finished.

Thanks for checking

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Rob. much appreciated.

Finger crossed for sure about the checkerboard pattern decals - their design looks a lot different from how I remember the Tamiya's decals looked. Today is the day🤞 

• Like 4

DECALING DONE

Bench time has been somewhat sparse the past few weeks, as doctor appointments and scheduled procedures for my wife and myself have occupied a good portion of our time.

The last few modeling sessions, I was able to finish the remaining air brush work, including the clear gloss for decaling with Tamiya X22.

The kit decals are by Cartograf and for the life of me they seem to have a different feel then other Cartograf decals I’ve used in the past. They feel a little stiffer and seem to have more of a matte finish. All the decals went down without a hitch except the checkerboard nose set of five individual sections.  

The top and two other sections had dash lines in front of decal on the paper and I thought they were for helping locate the decals, as there aren’t any precise, easy to locate points. It turns out they indicate cut lines you need to make to allow the decals conform. I used a lot more then indicated and even cut a few when they were on the Jug and still had fit issues as I went along.

I’m pretty sure since I struggled getting the cowl on, it may have been a tiny bit out of alignment and the start of the checkerboard decal issues. I started with the top section of the checkerboard, using the instructions painting/decal guide to locate the decal as precisely as I could. As I proceeded with each adjacent decal, the fit was off a bit more and there were gaps, which I filled in. Surely could have been designed to be a lot easier, taking into account there really wasn’t a positive starting point.

Of course, it’s the builder’s fault in the end, as I had trouble with the cowl and it went downhill from there.   

The panel lines and control surfaces were highled with a few different panel line washes.   

The Big PaddleBlade Prop – painted, decaled and waiting for the PLW to pick out the details. 

If memory serves me correctly, when I bult the Tamiya Bubble Jug, I used the kit decals and their checkerboard nose decals - went on perfectly, no cutting and no fuss.

yyEInX.jpg

utWbF9.jpg

AvGi7X.jpg

xnLikM.jpg

v6fFua.jpg

2ItdIa.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Peterpools changed the title to MiniArt P-47D Thunderbolt: Update 2/9/24

Peter,
Looking mighty good!  The panel line washes are excellent, really pulling out the details and I think you nailed the underside color. and the prop is perfect.  Can't wait to see how the topside green turns out when all is said and done.

I can't find the troubles you referred to on the checkerboards.  I remember my own tribulations trying to use the EagleCal Big Beautiful Doll nose checkers on the Tamiya P-51D, only to find out Eagle simply scaled up their 1/48 set instead of redesigning for the 1/32 kit.  I went through 3 sets before turning to Zotz...  Live and learn.

• Like 3

What makes a good modeler Peter? It´s when the result shows nothing about the troubles en route. The checkered cowl looks great and will even look better with some matte varnish on. The PLW gave a lot of contrast to the underside, bueno.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

Thanks Chris

I had the same issues with the EagleCal Decals for Big Beautiful Doll many years ago and wound up cutting them into strips to get a good but not great fit. As soon as I started the checkerboard decals, I knew I was in trouble as finding both the exact starting point and being square to the cowl flap line was going to be a problem. What I wound up doing is cutting a lot of clits in the checkerboard and working each section in place with a lot of Micro Set and Sol. Some touch up work was needed and, in the end, it looked pretty good.

• Like 2