The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

TWIN GB , yay or nay ?

11 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Hey Peter, thanks for making my decision for me.  The Boat it is 👍

If you like the Sikorsky, I also have these two super cool Sikorsky kits in the stash.  Only the S-38 has a twin engine - the S-39 has a single.  Interestingly, you can do the S-38 as the Osa's Ark with zebra stripes, and the S-39 with giraffe spots.  Maybe I'll tackle them after the JRS-1.

image.png.b7c6424ae92fb4c95e916aa0fb78aed3.png

image.jpeg.90360df1bdaf5e5aee46ef9cf65ca53b.jpeg

HI Mike

Great choice and PM sent.

Some days away without a computer an whoosh, there is a new group build. The theme initially didn´t ring a bell with me, having recently finished a Fly 1/32 Arado 234 and the Tamiya 1/48 P-38. I thought for a bit and came with the PBY 1H, converted from HKM´s B-25, but Ernie got that. Tamiya Mossie, meh, ME 262 also covered by Carl others in stash, also meh. 
I´m still undecided and need some persuasion to take part, as my modeling plans included everything except twins.

Possible candidates from stash (there´s more, but there is a little itch with these).

AEG G.IV, might be a bit too much work, but I thought about starting this one more than once.

P1011041.thumb.JPG.4f4d77f4a3791b514d9848e60cf09d03.JPG

The DO-335 with loots of goodies, also nearly started a while ago.

P1011040.thumb.JPG.f424e5574e346197a0495d064f6d8f90.JPG

A 1/48 Do 17 Z

P1011038.thumb.JPG.b63855177afa401bf12bd76a3c5b8d3c.JPG

Hmmh, forgot to take a pic, but there is also the 1/32 Horten from Zoukei Moura.

All German subjects, turns me also down a bit, I don´t know..........................................................................................................................................................:help:

Cheers Rob

• Like 8

I think the AEG is a big project, at least from what I've read.  If you have the time, would love to see you build that one as I have the kit and would learn a lot following what would be a stellar build from you.

If not the AEG, I'd say the Do-17.  I also have that one in the stash and selfishly would benefit from seeing you work your magic on it :)

• Like 7

Thanks for your opinions Señhores, the Do-17 is ruled out. If I take part, it will be Do 335 or AEG. Counting your input, the AEG is the winner even taking into account a redicule in code by @CANicoll :D.
I´m a bit more tempted by the AEG as well, but it is indeed a huge project with all the decaling and rigging.
@Bomber_County: The Tamiya Mossie is out of question, Bill is building one and that´s enough. I also don´t want to build a super kit now, even with tons of resin to add.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

I love the AEG kit, and of course WNW is/was in a class of their own.  For me, it is just all that rigging that kills me.  I never felt like I could do those kits proper justice.

Chris

Same here :(

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

I love the AEG kit, and of course WNW is/was in a class of their own.  For me, it is just all that rigging that kills me.  I never felt like I could do those kits proper justice.

12 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Same here 

I found rigging my wooden sailing boat is more complicated. I built three simple to rig planes from WNW and MikroMir, a Pfalz, a Hansa Brandenburg and a Fokker D.VIII and developed my method with Bob´s buckles and thin fishing line. The benefit of this method, is you strengthen the wing-strut connection and the plane will be more rigid in the end. 
I used a simpler effort with my two 1/48 SSW´s from Eduard with elastic thread.
It´s not that hard with these simple planes, but with the AEG this would be a step up. I still have to manage British rigging with flat wire.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

@Martinnfb One more question, before I choose. The new Sparviero kit from Eduard is a must build for me. This ugly flying tractor attracts me a lot. I know it has three engines, but could we just say, it´s a twin with an extra aggregate? There will never be a triple engine GB, so this poor fellow will never appear in one.

Cheers Rob

image.thumb.png.ffd1c2c9aa9cc1ee8c19705c74a2ced5.png

• Like 6

Sorry guys , twins only. It’s a pretty open concept allowing for a wide selection of subjects. 
However , we can plan this for the next GB,such as  Mediterranean GB, or the Made in Italia GB , or From Africa with love GB, Crazy camo patterns GB, ….List goes on. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Sorry guys , twins only. It’s a pretty open concept allowing for a wide selection of subjects. 
However , we can plan this for the next GB,such as  Mediterranean GB, or the Made in Italia GB , or From Africa with love GB, Crazy camo patterns GB, ….List goes on. 

Yeah Martin, I can see that being by one third out of the GB theme isn´t close enough. The Sparviero will have it´s chance later :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CANicoll said:

If I remember correctly, isn't EZ Line flat?

I think so Chris, I have to check mine, which is still unused. I have also some white Prym elastic thread thread, which I plan to use for my Camel and Gladiator  build.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Martin

Agreed with your reasoning. Just such a cool looking aircraft.

• Like 3