Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Marine Mud Mover: PBJ-1H Gun Ship “Love Bug” VMB-613 in early 1945

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

The new A-20 is miles away in terms of fit and finish. 
Not saying that Mitchel is mediocre, we just got spoiled   Looking good Ernie. 

Thanks. The good new is, that only about a half inch width of panel lines need rescribing after all this, and NO raised detail or access panels.  
So the damage kept to a minimum.  
The kit is really not for anyone who doesn’t like filling gaps.

• Like 5

• Administrators

This is one seriously big ol’ boy.  Coming together slowly, and a lot more sanding, fitting, sanding, and filling than I thought, especially after the A-20 shake the box Super Kit that almost assembles itself. 
Not too bad though, kind of like a Hasegawa kit.  I’m just spoiled after the A-20

IMG_8284.jpeg

IMG_8285.jpeg

IMG_8283.jpeg

• Like 9

I have been suffering from the Chronic Spoiled Brat Syndrome for years, so I know what I am talking about when I say:  Ernie is anything but spoiled. He builds everything, but mostly the most challenging kits of the  "be a man" type of things. :)

This is the living proof of it, unique subject, impressive results. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
On 2/24/2024 at 4:04 PM, Martinnfb said:

I have been suffering from the Chronic Spoiled Brat Syndrome for years, so I know what I am talking about when I say:  Ernie is anything but spoiled. He builds everything, but mostly the most challenging kits of the  "be a man" type of things. :)

This is the living proof of it, unique subject, impressive results. 

OK, what do you need?  How much?  No need to bribe or butter me up. 😂

• Haha 6

• Administrators

Chasing seams. Oh what fun! 
This plastic HATES solvent bases cements.  I’ve tried straight Tenex, and even that gives me attitude. Copious applications of Tamiya extra thin eventually did the job.  Finally, Mr Dissolved Putty on the seams. This is the third go round  we’ll see

IMG_1843.jpeg

IMG_1844.jpeg

IMG_1845.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Ernie

Nice progress and a good work around the glue issue. I've seen videos and some discussions that some of the newer kit's plastic doesn't respond well or even glue-up when using some of the solvent based cements such as Extra Thin but does work with Fast Drying Extra Thin(?). I've avoided the entire issue and with the slightest hint of an issue, jump right on the case with Revell Contacta Professional Glue (blue applicator). Works like a charm.  Matter of fact, I've been using it more and more in all my builds - great stuff for sure. Almost like the old days when Revell tube glue was the glue of choice.

:construction:

• Like 5

On 2/26/2024 at 11:18 PM, Clunkmeister said:

By Jove I think we’ve got it!  Or at least most of it.  
still some low spots, but we’ll fix those.  

I am glad I am not that much of a perfectionist with plastic ...wood I take it up a notch.I wood never get done great work Ernie.:unworthy:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

This looks too bloody new.  No worries, instant destruction to follow shortly.  That intermediate blue is seriously lightened, and still looks dark. But a bit of grey and grime, and she’ll look like crap.

plus chip the crap out of the nose. 

IMG_8328.jpeg

• Like 6

Looking good Ernie and will look better, when everything got blended through filtering and weathering. I always thought the camo to be soft edge, but looking at period pics shows, it´s hard edge.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

• Administrators
4 hours ago, DocRob said:

Looking good Ernie and will look better, when everything got blended through filtering and weathering. I always thought the camo to be soft edge, but looking at period pics shows, it´s hard edge.

Cheers Rob

I thought that too.  Profi’s profile pics show soft edges as well, and I’m going to blend them A bit with some 15,000 grit and some careful blending. The Non Spec sea blue tends to chalk up, not necessarily fade, but the Intermediate blue fades a ton. Profi’s profiles show an almost primer grey very close to the early war blue-grey as seen on the earliest of Birdcage Corsairs.   I know it’s wrong, but it can mislead.  
Lots of beat up metal, and plenty of coral dust damage on paint. I’ll be tearing up the front as soon as I get the shading and blending I want on the sides. 

IMG_7908.png

IMG_7906.jpeg

IMG_7910.jpeg

IMG_7905.png

• Like 6

Nice paintwork Ernie. The 3 tone USN camo I think is my favourite. It sure got beat up and weathered and then throw in touch-ups and re-pains and you have a huge range of options. 

• Like 2