The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya Spitfire IXc; UPDATE: 7/10/24: FUSELARGE AND WINGS

FINALLY, BACK TO 32ND SCALE

TAMIYA SPITFIRE Mk IXc

My GWH A-10C build is on hold as I decided wait not only for the Quinta cockpit set to be released but also a few bottles of needed MRP paints.

The Tamiya Spitfire Mk IXc in the stash kept calling my name and I knew it was time to finally return to 32nd scale for a good portion of my planned builds, other then jets, which are too large for my display cabinet. My intensions for the build are my normal practice of mostly an OOB build with the exception of adding a Quinta Cockpit Set and a few other pieces of AM: Barracuda’s cockpit door with crowbar, replacing the kit rubber tires and wheels and a set of Eaglecal decals. I’ve been as eager as ever to hit the bench since starting the Spit and a few nights have already worked until the wee hours of the morning.

Following the instruction sequence, construction started with the front office and I constantly kept referring to the Quinta instructions, making sure the needed Tamiya parts were prepared for the Quinta details.

Interior paints:

MRP-LPG Gray Primer

MRP -111 WWII RAF Interior Grey Green

The front office was lightly weathered using Tamiya Dark Brown and Black PLW’s and some dry brushing. The seatbelts and Sutton harness I’m still working on are from the Quinta set, that needed to slightly modified, as they tend to snap if bent or folded. Still working on the front office – just taking my time and enjoying the journey.  

yQOsRh.jpg

kSTCqO.jpg

Ye2ytI.jpg

tt66qW.jpg

cgooCF.jpg

eERjQJ.jpg

AoqQHi.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Wow! peter looking awfully good there Sir and I see you have not lost that touch for the fine details.The placards do they come with the kit are aftermarket?:unworthy:

I like pictures so went back and read the intro assume then Quinta?

• Like 4

Thanks, Kev, so very much appreciated.

Felt mighty good working in 32nd scale again and being able to actually see the details. All of the placards are from the Quinta set and took a good many hours to add, including prepping the Tamiya parts - well worth the time and careful work. I always use Micro Krystal Kleer to glue the details in place and when I reached for one of the four bottles I've had in the glue draw for years, I discovered they were all dried up and binned. From now on, I'll only order one bottle at a time, as it takes me a year or so to use it up.

• Like 6

Thanks, martin, so very much appreciated. making progress nice progress and absolutely enjoying the Tamiya Classic Spitfire. Just hard to believe the kit was first released in 2009, time has surely flown by. This is the fourth Tamiya Spit I've built and feel a good few more to come down the road.

• Like 5

Looks great Peter!  I understand the waiting on Quinta thing.  I emailed them two years ago about the KH T-28. Said they were going to make them after the harvest.  In the meantime I grabbed a set of Eduard interiors in case Quinta never comes through.  The B/D is out of production and was tough to find one in stock. 
Glad to see you back on a 1/32 kit!  

• Like 3

Thanks, Carl - very much appreciated and it feels good to be working again in 32nd scale and always now looking forward to working at the bench, something that has been missing for a long time. :) 

• Like 3

Thanks Scott ... Same here with Quinta. What I have been trying to do this past year is buy the sets I 'might' want/need for projects down the road as it always seems if I wait until I start a kit or even buy the kit, the Quinta set is sold out and restock takes forever. 

• Like 4

Quality stuff as always Peter, The cockpit and interior looks fantastic with all the eye pleasing detail. I hope this will be a fun and motivating project for you.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Hi Mike, thank you so much for the "wow" on the front office. Almost all the credit goes to both Tamiya and Quinta as I just spent a lot of time brush painting the details. As always, working on a Tamiya kit for me is just a joy.

• Like 1

THE FRONT OFFICE IS DONE

The Front Office is done with the addition of the remaining Tamiya parts and the Quinta Sutton Harness which didn't fit all that well. I managed to break it twice up to this point. The Quinta detail set is a nice upgrade to the already well detailed Tamiya cockpit and except for preparing the parts where the details go, no surgery is required.   

Next up after the fuselage halves are glued up, the wings.

npw7dL.jpg

HAP3tf.jpg

xnmnlJ.jpg

PE7nWv.jpg

g9f0Qo.jpg

XjMmEV.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Peterpools changed the title to Tamiya Spitfire IXc; UPDATE: 7/6/24: THE FRONT OFFICE IS DONE

Definitely looks the part, Peter.  Your washes bring out the detail nicely (and a reminder to do the same on my F-4!).   Spitfire cockpits are always loaded with detail and you brought it out beautifully.

Disappointing about the Quinta Sutton Harness should not have fought you that hard but it looks like you got it sorted.

• Like 1

Chris

Very much appreciate your comments on the Front office - Tamiya and Quinta are a perfect combo and mesh together nearly seamlessly. 

Just seems to be an ongoing issue with Quinta's seat belts sets as they need modification where they bend a good 90 degrees or more.