Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Meng 1/35 AH-64D Saraf: update: 10/5/24: The T700 GE Engines and Electronic Bays Done

Wow, Peter, these engines look awesome, and I hope they are not completely covered up.  Your dry brushing technique is incredible and really brings out all of that detail. You may not have a lot of bench time but you certainly make the most of what time you get!  I needed to some of that drybrushing inside the cockpit of my 109.  

• Like 2

Thanks Oliver, greatly appreciated. I've cleaned up some of the weathering which for me seemed a bit overdone and hoping to finish both engine sub-assemblies this weekend. Never realized how many parts are in helicopter kits - could be because I've followed yours for years and you're just so organized and scratch what you need - way beyond my abilities. 

Thanks Chris, so very much appreciated and a first time for everything, even for us old timers. I cleaned a bit of the weathering up in a few spots I thought were a bit overdone, as the Saraf's lives in the dessert and photos in the book shows, how well maintained they are.

Meng offers the builder a few variations of how to display the engine sub-assemblies and right now, I'm planning on having them pretty much full open - just need to see how it goes.

• Like 2

TWIN GE -T700 ENGINE ASSEMBLIES DONE

FORWARD ELECTRONIC BAYS DONE

Slowly making progress the past few days and have finally finished both T700 engine and engine bay assemblies. My build plan is to add the engine bay assemblies at the end of the build and they are in all reality, mini models unto themselves.

What I was worried about were the gaps and seams that could result and all the photographs I’ve seen and studied, those gaps are actually there. Paying careful attention to the loads of external systems and parts which cover the Saraf nose to tail, all seem to be easily removable for maintenance and repair and the actual fit does have seams and gaps, which appears to be a plus for the maintainers.

So far, all the paints used have been MRP, but as I move forward, the Hataka IAF Modern Helicopter Lacquer Paint Set is coming to the forefront.

Taking a short mini break from the twin engine sub-assemblies, I built up the forward electronic bays using the dedicated Quinta 1/35 AH-64D EFAB set and no question, Quinta has broken new ground with this set. I’ve been using Quinta sets since they first became available as their technology and expertise has moved forward, what they can do is incredible. Besides from the black boxes, all the electronic cables are added as small groups and the detail is incredible. The only drawback is the time and patience required but so well worth the effort.

KelSl7.jpg

The fuselage side wall still needs to be painted Chromate yellow and all the details painted 

N8jenl.jpg

gZNyp7.jpg

39ce0y.jpg

hakkxQ.jpg

AIcO6R.jpg

• Like 5

• Peterpools changed the title to Meng 1/35 AH-64D Saraf: update: 10/5/24: The T700 GE Engines and Electronic Bays Done

Thanks John, much appreciated. Building the Saraf is so different then most of my builds, keeping everything new and interesting. Now if I could only get a week of solid bench time in but that just doesn't seem like it is going to happen anytime soon this month.

Mike, much appreciated. The Saraf is an awesome kit and the details Meng has provided is right up there with Tamiya - just wish the instructions were the equal. Quinta, what can I say, with each new set I have purchased, the level and scope of detailing as expanded and improved. Same applies with Quinta, time to up their tiny instructions to match the level of the 3D decals.