The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon 1B on the flight line...

Hi folks: 

I was going to defer posting this until Monday 28 April but I've come away to Bournemouth on the CWU annual conference and the hotel wi-fi has been a 'challenge' to get on to, so now I have a connection I'm not risking a gamble on Monday, so let's rock! 

The Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon was unveiled at Telford last November. A while before this, I received contact from Chris Clifford at Airfix Model World, who said he had something that would be 'right up my street' and would I be interested? No details were given, so I did what you never do in the army and volunteered. 

To my stunned amazement I found myself landed with the big Tiffie gig. A trip to Telford to see my plastic adversary was a must, so I wandered up on our first date and went a little wobbly at the knees (as you do in the first throes of love...). I had a bit of a chat to Sam, the designer, a disconcertingly youthful guy, full of charm and brimming with enthusiasm for 'his' baby, displayed in various stages of undress around the Airfix stand. "Can't wait to see the first one fully painted up!" he said to me at the close of our chat. 'You and me both' I thought. 

Come the following January, two complete test shots landed at the modelling bunker ('just in case of catastrophe' - they obviously know me lol) and with instructions still outstanding, I did a little prep to ease things into first gear. What followed was the ten most mental modelling weeks of my life; 230+ steps shoe horned into a time frame that evaporated at Warp 10. The brief was 'full engine plus one gun bay open'. Given that the Tiffie has been produced to celebrate Airfix's 75th birthday and as a tie in to the 70th anniversary of D Day one felt just a touch of pressure. 

An indication of its significance was sharply illustrated on Britmodeller on the Saturday it was displayed at Telford. Someone opened a thread to discuss it and post images. No surprise there. What was a surprise is that in the first 48 hours, such a post may attract circa 4-500 views and maybe 20-30 replies. The Tiffie topped 15,000 views and over 200 replies in the same time frame. 

And now it's done. Normally you keep what you build for AMW. On this occasion Airfix have asked that it reside at the Hornby Visitor Centre in Margate and I'll be driving over with it some time in June I'm guessing, to exchange the built test shot for a full production kit. 

I grew up on Airfix kits - the bagged ones with the card headers. I remember I would literally run to the shop on the green every Friday, pocket money tightly gripped in hand. 

I'd then trot home with my prize and rapidly translate the parts into a Beaufighter that did sterling duty over the channel or a Mk IX Spitfire that knocked lumps off the 109G-6, that it routinely shot down innumerable times or anyone of more kits than memory can now recall. Happy days, steeped for the most part in Airfix plastic; although Frog, Revell and Monogram all made cameo appearances from time to time. 

It makes me smile to think of what the small boy would have said to be told one day he'd get to play with the biggest Airfix gig in their 75 year history. 

The model is scheduled to appear in a supplement I share with Tiffie expert Chris Thomas and I must thank him here for his kind assistance during the build - scheduled for the June issue of AMW, out next Thursday, 1 May 2014. 

What you see is the best I could drum up in the ten weeks I had - I'm normally much (much!) slower. One of my brothers asked if I was happy with it. "Yes and no" was my honest answer, not that I'm complaining (I'm not) as a time constrained test shot build is what is and you have to stop somewhere - looking forward to my second though and for that it's sprayed markings all the way... happy.gif

My thanks to Airfix too for entrusting their baby to my tender mercies happy.gif

Happy days. 

Steve

1_zps89b4d4c1.jpg

17_zps0778d406.jpg

19_zps12a406e2.jpg

21_zpseea0734c.jpg

22_zps6953daf4.jpg

27_zpse888d172.jpg

29_zps2e7867f2.jpg

33_zps2f37c364.jpg

43_zpsd7c9cd76.jpg

41_zpsda853cb6.jpg

46_zps9db4f32a.jpg

49_zps16a70c54.jpg

56_zps2d224e2c.jpg

64_zps3eda6650.jpg

52_zps605dd10f.jpg

67_zps238aec19.jpg

53_zps49c7e8ec.jpg

73_zps64a9605a.jpg

76_zps13160637.jpg

82_zps5769321e.jpg

83_zpsf8e74544.jpg

80_zps1a7f12fd.jpg

84_zpsa85d92c3.jpg

103_zps98a0a811.jpg

79_zpsaba3ecf7.jpg

86_zpsf47d447c.jpg

100_zps9f3e7398.jpg

98_zps601d698a.jpg

106_zps56458950.jpg

112_zpsd1676e70.jpg

118_zpsc848a3f5.jpg

121_zps18187447.jpg

124_zps8a21903c.jpg

127_zpsc2d7d3dd.jpg

132_zpsc3ea968f.jpg

133_zpsc561abdd.jpg

134_zps7596d8e9.jpg

137_zps1325a7f7.jpg

139_zps709c331f.jpg

142_zps64511e62.jpg

143_zps4bed2056.jpg

144_zpsacd2ad1b.jpg

146_zpsb1204795.jpg

B_zpse0c2bef9.jpg

A_zpsacaea51a.jpg

E_zps3ec7c3e9.jpg

G_zpsd1fb43f8.jpg

I_zps235792ee.jpg

K_zps41617b4b.jpg

C_zps4ab1d80a.jpg

D_zps0e520549.jpg

F_zpsf12470fb.jpg

• Like 6

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......................................

*Faint*

I want one...... Looking toooooooooooooo good Steve!

Errrrr.... what happened to the second test shot?......

hypocrite.gif

Cheers,

Your Triumph friend with a 2011 SpeedTriple 1050...

shiny.gif

EXCELLENT just that ........... speech less ( i hope i manage to buy this as my next build ) 

Hi S - thanks for that. In truth, it was the best I could jam into the ten week timeframe. I'm looking forward to the second, plus sprayed markings (if I can track down a reputable source of masks that is).

Beautiful!! I want one NOW!!!

Thanks N - you'll not be disappointed.

Sweet Jesus!

Indeed...lol

Wow! 24th isn't my bag... but I think you just temped me to get this kit!

Should've ticked the commission box after all...lol. Thanks!

WOOWW!!!!!

:-)

Absolutely stunning! :unworthy:

Thanks Mike - much appreciated.

Steve

Like everyone I'm speechless. Your craftsmanship is amazing!! I have never seen such beautiful detail!

Fabulous effort!!!

Hi Ralph - That's way kind, thanks. Do try one...

Can I have one please? :D  This just looks stunning Steve, well done :notworthy:

I feel a set, of masks for the shark mouth scheme calling, plus the camo and plenty of other schemes ;) Although the decals look really good you just know that you need to paint the markings on this beauty :D

Oh, you're a bad man lol...

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......................................

*Faint*

hypocrite.gif

Cheers,

Your Triumph friend with a 2011 SpeedTriple 1050...

shiny.gif

Lol 'interest in second test shot now overtaking primary build'. It's fate is already sealed...

Yes I was wondering the same :o

:-)

I'm definitely drooling along with everyone else - this thing is the hotness all around.

BUT...

I'm curious, how well does she build? Everything looks like it goes together very well, but looks can also be deceiving sometimes. Were there any parts that weren't carried off well? Do the 20mm blast tubes really slide over the actual barrels? Is there any part of this kit that just screams for aftermarket or scratchbuilding?

Hi D - Thanks for that. It's a honey. I'm a 'mid table obscurity' modeller and an all round klutz. I still managed to get end to end without incident. There are certain things to bear in mind but that's what the build article in the mag (out Thursday 1 May) will cover off.

To be frank (not that I'm an expert) anyone with one is welcome to mail me if there are any queries along the way.

In terms of aftermarket or extra detailing, in the first case I'd use HGW belts if they come on stream. I've already buttonholed Master over scaling up their Tiffie Hispano stuff (within ten minutes of seeing it at Telford lol). As far as scratching - there's always scope for extra wiring, remodelling and so on on any kit, so yer pays yer money and...but OOB is still amazing.

What a lovely beast!

Thanks! But that's enough about me - what did you think of the kit...?

Woooooooooooow....just sublime :-)

Martin.

Cheers Martin - much appreciated.

Steve

Super happy to hear that! I've been slobbering over this one since it was announced, but my one big hesitation was how it would go together. I'll be holding some room on the bench for sure!

When I saw the draft instructions for the first time and the fact that you build it 'ground up', starting with the main cockpit tubing, engine bearers, spars and firewall I thought 'This is going to need to go together very, very well if it's not going to cascade angle, alignment and fit issues all down the build'.

So I dry fitted those bits together. No glue. They held together so well I dry fitted them onto the lower wing section (something you don't get to until about halfway through). Fit was nigh on perfect. I was one very happy little bunny, what with having to get it done in short order and all.

Again, the mag will point out things so invest in that. Beyond the text, I'm open to any questions and entirely happy to help anyone, anyway I can, so buy with confidence and have yourself a Tiffing great time...

Steve 

Like I said, I was wondering the same. This arrived today:

001573.jpg

But it isn't what it seems inside:

002428.jpg

Can you tell what it is yet?

004377.jpg

What about now?

009205.jpg

OK, yep the second pre-production shot! :o Thanks Steve, it is even more amazing in the flesh and the instruction, although not in the final format are fantastic. I will be producing camo masks for this plus, of course all other markings. Steve has asked for the shark mouth of 245 Squadron, so that will be available. I would like to build this for my Trade stand at Telford but that will be pushing it as I have several other kits on the go but I may be able to get it to a stage to show the camo masks fitted. I am thinking about doing it wheels up and prop spinning?

I will be buying a production model as well if for no other reason than to help the sales so that Airfix feel that they can continue in this vain and I really do feel that they should re-do the Spitfire Mk Ia to this standard next and then all the other 1/24 scale series of WWII aircraft.

Thanks again Steve, a beer or 3 when we meet :D

001573.jpg

002428.jpg

004377.jpg

What about now?

009205.jpg

OK, yep the second pre-production shot! :o Thanks Steve, it is even more amazing in the flesh and the instruction, although not in the final format are fantastic. I will be producing camo masks for this plus, of course all other markings. Steve has asked for the shark mouth of 245 Squadron, so that will be available. I would like to build this for my Trade stand at Telford but that will be pushing it as I have several other kits on the go but I may be able to get it to a stage to show the camo masks fitted. I am thinking about doing it wheels up and prop spinning?

I will be buying a production model as well if for no other reason than to help the sales so that Airfix feel that they can continue in this vain and I really do feel that they should re-do the Spitfire Mk Ia to this standard next and then all the other 1/24 scale series of WWII aircraft.

Hi Mal:

It's gone to a loving home and no mistake - much looking forward to a glass of suds with you when we hook up and chewing some of that modelling fat... :D

Take it easy Von Maskmeister.

Steve  :)

001573.jpg

002428.jpg

004377.jpg

What about now?

009205.jpg

You certainly done good there Mal, nice one, I'll probably be in the market for some masks in the future then.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Mal:

It's gone to a loving home and no mistake - much looking forward to a glass of suds with you when we hook up and chewing some of that modelling fat... :D

Take it easy Von Maskmeister.

Steve  :)

It sure has Steve, I just have to make sure that I do it justice ;) Me too a glass or two of suds  :D  to toast this wonderful kit ^_^

You certainly done good there Mal, nice one, I'll probably be in the market for some masks in the future then.

Cheers

Dennis

:) I'm thinking that I might just do a special offer on masks for this as painted on markings are a must but many will be too "scared" to try them, we'll see :huh:

Hmm electric motor too.

Cees

No, it doesn't come with the motor but there is provision for it and a stand :)