13 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

Yes, I like these things. They were kind of hard to find before for me but

there recent availability an some online shops has been great. I get most

of them from a supplier that charges a decent price for them....about

$ 39.00 U.S.. Sprue brothers charges a bit more. I put in an order from

the manufacturer in Hungary for some less commonly offered tracks

but they haven't been shipped yet. I find them fun to assemble and I like the

added weight they give to the model. 

I usually try invest on friul tracks when they are prominent feature(tracks are not covered over fenders). Or i do not like included rubber tracks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FullArmor said:

I usually try invest on friul tracks when they are prominent feature(tracks are not covered over fenders). Or i do not like included rubber tracks.

As an aside, I recently read a complaint about the Takom Ontos kit having

rubber tracks.....the real ontos had rubber tracks! Anyway, I try to save the

Tamiya link & length tracks I don't use...perhaps they'll come in handy. Recently, the working tracks in an Amusing Hobby kit were so bad I had

to buy Friuls. ....I still have to finish that one.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

You're welcome to your opinion but seem uninformed regarding Tamiya

Afv kits these days as most include their link & length tracks  including some of their prior kits which have been re-released now with link

and length tracks. Their Somua, Mk Iv, char b1 bis, and russian Matilda include working tracks. Tamiya makes working track kits

for their Panther Tanks.

Their Sherman tanks do have rubber tracks , but the Sherman track system

Never shows sag. Most of the Tamiya kits I buy them for don't need them

but  I find the Friuls fun to build and I view them as a kit in themselves.

Anyway, I mostly buy the Friuls because they weren't available to me before and are still kind of a novelty for me...I like them.

All I can say is, you're missing out on a lot of very fine, well engineered kits

due to this bias you have. I am now determined Never to buy another

kit from Dragon after looking at my Welbike kit in 1/6 scale. It's missing

a lot of detail ; an oil filler boss on the crankcase, the projection for the clutch cable on the crankcase, a bracing strut for the cylinder head, fuel connections on the fuel tanks, and the engine manufacturer logo cast into the

crankcase is missing..a prominent feature on the original. No decals are provided in

the kit despite the  original having unit markings and instruction stencils.

Also no cables are included.  The instructions are very bad  and don't include  placement of some of the parts.

Very sad. I only bought the kit as my uncle brought one back from the war

but now, I'll probably never build it. The Chinese Communist Party got me with that one.

I think most of Dragon's 1/6 kits are just upscaled from 1/35 so no additional detail that one would expect given the size. Their 1/6 Sherman line is pretty much this way. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Recently, the working tracks in an Amusing Hobby kit were so bad I had

to buy Friuls. ....

The Meng Magach I'm currently working on has individual track links. They're designed with a single plastic pin to mount to one side. The other side has a tiny moulded on nub instead of a pin so the tracks clip together and then you insert a single pin. I guess the idea is it's half the work.

Nub on left, pin on right. 

PXL_20240924_192247651.thumb.jpg.fda7857c4ac0f9df2bd0c90d59273aab.jpg

Unfortunately Meng made the pin you insert just slightly too short so they sometimes still fall apart. I'm going to just glue them together for the most part and use them that way. 

Edited by BlrwestSiR
Fix typo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The Meng Magach I'm currently working on has individual track links. They're designed with a single plastic pin to mount to one side. The other side has a tiny moulded on nub instead of a pin so the tracks clip together and then you insert a single pin. I guess the idea is it's half the work.

Nub on left, pin on right. 

PXL_20240924_192247651.thumb.jpg.fda7857c4ac0f9df2bd0c90d59273aab.jpg

Unfortunately Meng made the pin you insert just slightly too short so they sometimes still fall apart. I'm going to just glue them Tigger for the most part and use them that way. 

That's kind of a cool system for the tracks. I have a couple of sets of TREX

Resin tracks that require small resin pins for each side of link. The pins are

extremely fragile Causing me to worry about my set for an upcoming Comet tank build but the tracks have excellent detail edging out the friul

tracks for the Comet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I think most of Dragon's 1/6 kits are just upscaled from 1/35 so no additional detail that one would expect given the size. Their 1/6 Sherman line is pretty much this way. 

That's sad to hear and in my view shows lazy engineering. Too bad. I still

would like to build the kit. I even bought some Milliput to add the detail on

the crankcase....the script missing from the crankcase I figure would be impossible, but the other detail I think I could scratch build....It might

even be fun.  I sure Phil is a nice guy , and he's a very talented builder, no doubt, but I always get this Tamiya thing when I post. To each his own...

sorry if I sounded annoyed. Sorry Phil if you read this.

• Like 3

We had to make a trip to PA for a wedding. On the way up I81 through VA, we stopped in Staunton, VA and visited Frontline Models and Hobbies. Nice place, wish we had something like it in the Nashville area. Picked up a few things. :D

The F/A-18 is for use with my grandsons.

5pJVIQ.jpg

The catapult should make a nice display for the Arado when I build it.

Tmi7vi.jpg

4V4w3I.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

That's kind of a cool system for the tracks. I have a couple of sets of TREX

Resin tracks that require small resin pins for each side of link. The pins are

extremely fragile Causing me to worry about my set for an upcoming Comet tank build but the tracks have excellent detail edging out the friul

tracks for the Comet.

All this talk about tracks and pins and stuff makes me want to run out and grab some armor models... Not.... :lol:

• Haha 3