1:32 Fw 190 undercarriage and wheels

James H

• Administrators

1:32 Fw 190 undercarriage and wheels

Eduard
Catalogue # see article for code and price
Available from Eduard

DSC04774.jpg

Well, barely has the brand new Revell Focke-Wulf Fw 190F-8 hit the shelves, and there are already aftermarket items starting to appear. Having built the kit already, and despite it being a great release, there are a number of things which can indeed be improved, and these two new items from Eduard, tackle the biggest bugbear with this kit; namely the wheels and undercarriage.

632055, Fw 190F-8 wheels, €11,25
632057, Fw 190 undercarriage legs BRONZE, €17,25

Fw 190F-8 wheels

DSC04779.jpg

The kit parts are pretty crap, to be honest, and not too inspiring, despite the hubs being more than passable. A problem with two-part treaded tyres is of course removing the seam adequately. It was pleasing to see that Eduard planned to tackle this and produce a corrected set of wheels, along with replacement hubs. This set is packaged into the familiar Brassin blister pack, with the contents protected with the use of soft form inserts. To add a little more cream, a set of masks is also included.

DSC04775.jpg

This set represents the main 700 x 175 treaded tyres of the F-8, as well as supplying a single piece tailwheel replacement. All tyres are cast on their own blocks, and connected via the weighted area, and a thin web which runs around the bottom on the wheel. These are, through experience, very simple to remove and clean up prior to use. Tread detail on the main wheels is excellent, complete with raised detail showing the tyre size and the DUNLOP text. Yes! Dunlop! Here’s an image of a German tyre carrying the name.

The tailwheel carries the CONTINENTAL logo, and has excellent hub detail moulded integrally.

DSC04777.jpg

Even though I thought the kit hubs to be fine, they pale in significance against these resin replacements. Detail is sharp, with various plate and bolt head detail, plus the tyre inflation nipple on the recessed section of the outer hub. The hubs are cast over two blocks, and have a key on their reverse face, allowing correct orientation to the wheels. One small quirk I notice is that the hub locating hole for the bronze leg replacements, will need opening up slightly to accommodate them. The reason for this is that Eduard have made the struts with a more realistic axle diameter to the scrawny one in the kit. If you decide to use the kit legs, then they will fit exactly.

DSC04778.jpg

Masks are supplied to help you paint these items, but I admit I prefer to paint the hubs separately, if at all possible. All masks are supplied on a single sheet of Kabuki masking material, and the cutting is nice and sharp. The instructions supply colour codes in Mr Hobby format, and mask application is clearly shown.

Fw 190 undercarriage legs BRONZE

DSC04780.jpg

Now we’re talking! Along with the poor tyres of the Revell kit come the anorexic and poorly detailed main gear legs. The axles on them are also so thin that simply gluing the wheels in place, caused the thin protrusions to melt and make the wheels sag. Eduard have now fixed this and produced a perfect product for this kit. Of course, there is also another reason for metal legs, and that is because the thin plastic ones would have to take more load if you add the resin components, such as the forthcoming cockpit and gun bay. I have asked if an engine will be made available, and as soon as I know, I’ll announce.

DSC04781.jpg

DSC04782.jpg

This set is packaged in the same way as the wheels, and contains two beautifully cast bronze leg replacements. They actually look so good that it seems a shame to paint them! There really is no comparison when you look at these parts. A small mould paring seam needs to be removed on the compression strut, but that’s the only clean-up I see. These legs look more accurate with regards to diameter, and they contain all the detail that the kit missed, including a nice, thin brake line. The holes in the oleo scissors are also hollow.

DSC04783.jpg

These struts also have the lower clips cast integrally to them. These are the parts which I believe were sometimes removed from service machines, although I don’t know if that’s correct. Connection points on the struts will mean that the correct angle is instantly attained.

This set also provides replacement resin main gear doors, which are just stunning! Both are cast on their own block and connected via a thin resin wall. Door detail is first rate, both inside and out, and the strut fits perfectly to them, with no ambiguity. I just wish the retraction arms were also included in this set, but not to worry!

Again, paint codes for Mr Hobby paints are supplied, and illustration is easy to follow.

Conclusion
For me, these are quite simply MUST-HAVE for the Revell kit, and addresses the shortcomings in this area. As I said, if you plan to load this model out with other resin and etch sets, then I consider at least the undercarriage legs, to be absolutely vital. With Eduard’s standard quality and attention to detail, you really can’t go wrong with either of these sets.

VERY highly recommended

My sincere thanks to Eduard for these review samples. To purchase directly, click the links in the article.

James H

eduard-LOGO-2.jpg

• Like 2

Nice review James.  The thing about the treaded/ribbed FW190 tires (tyres to you UK chaps) is I rarely see photo of Wurgers with treaded/ribbed tires.  I have all 3 volumes of Creek & Smith's FW190 and Valiant's #7 FW190 I can count the number of photos of FW190's with treaded/ribbed tires on both hands, perhaps a few toes as well.  Any feedback on this is most welcome.

My Revell 190's are due here tomorrow, one is destined to be a captured "Butcher Bird".  Very excited to drool over the sprues, also have a set of Eduard undercarriage.

• Administrators

All very nice - but man I hate how Eduard molds their wheel hubs. Such a pain to remove the pour stubs on them. I'll still use them, of course...

I use a junior hacksaw and grind flat on wet'n dry paper.

Jim,

There is some information being bandied about elsewhere, that the Revell struts are too long, especially at the oleo. Are these Eduard struts the same length or shorter than the Revell parts?

S

• Administrators

Jim,

There is some information being bandied about elsewhere, that the Revell struts are too long, especially at the oleo. Are these Eduard struts the same length or shorter than the Revell parts?

S

I'll do that later today, Steve.

Thanks Matt, Jim...

The Fw190 undercarriage legs were of course pressure-adjustable (the reason for the stencils seen on the outside of the doors). If the Revell legs are the same length as those on the Hasegawa kit, then they are not at full extension, and within the tolerances seen on even heavily-laden period photos of Fw190's.

S

• Like 1

Great looking accessories

Great photos too - I really need to learn to take better pictures.

I've already posted this elsewhere but for anyone interested who's reading this thread, I emailed Eduard to ask about a full "brassin" engine (as per the 109 set for the Revell kit) and their response was that they're working on it now & plan to release it around September. The firewall/gunbay is already out.

To me, very few aircraft models look as eye-catching as 190 with its engine panels opened & dropped. I can't wait to tackle this in 1/32 scale...

Now then - what are the odds that Revell will combine their 109/190 with a Ju88 and offer us a mistel? Not sure there'd be anything left on my wish list after that :-)

The firewall and gunbay set looks good...

Hopefully it won't be long before we see a review of that set here too. But I can't help thinking that it's just another add-on to cover the inadequacies of the original kit.

It's no sleight on Eduard, they're only offering sets that they think there'll be a demand for. And that's fine if you're in the US and you're paying $24 for the base kit... but quite different if it's 3 times that price where you happen to live.

http://metrohobbies.com.au/revell-1-32-focke-wulf-fw190-f-8.html

S

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hopefully it won't be long before we see a review of that set here too. But I can't help thinking that it's just another add-on to cover the inadequacies of the original kit.

It's no sleight on Eduard, they're only offering sets that they think there'll be a demand for. And that's fine if you're in the US and you're paying $24 for the base kit... but quite different if it's 3 times that price where you happen to live.

S

I think you're on the nail there Steve.

Still, there are modellers who'll add AM to a £150 kit, and double the price, so the market will always be there.

We'll publish the new Eduard gun bay and cockpit later this week too. ;)

S

Good Grief sir!!! ... Please consider using Sprue Bro's or Amazon ... Even with postage I paid less than $50 AUD!!!

Metro's must be on drugs charging that! ... Shame is - they'll nab it from un-expecting clientele too!

Rog :)

It's a fair point Rog...

Metro's must be on drugs charging that! ... Shame is - they'll nab it from un-expecting clientele too!

But Metro/VH have to run a business and make a profit all the same. After all, they're a Hobby business on a different continent across an ocean from the point of manufacture. But then again, so are Sprue Bros as well. But even at $50 it's still twice the price that our US compadres pay.

All these new Eduard sets look really nice, but I think I'll see whether they can be made to fit some of the Hasegawa kits I already have in the stash.

S

It's a fair point Rog...

But Metro/VH have to run a business and make a profit all the same. After all, they're a Hobby business on a different continent across an ocean from the point of manufacture. But then again, so are Sprue Bros as well. But even at $50 it's still twice the price that our US compadres pay.

All these new Eduard sets look really nice, but I think I'll see whether they can be made to fit some of the Hasegawa kits I already have in the stash.

S

Steve ...

Would you consider running a comparo' on the Hasegawa V's Revell kit for us? (I'm inclined to trust your judgement!) ... A complete knob did one elsewhere - it started well, but went south pretty quickly. because he couldn't admit error and ridiculed everyone else ... I'll be happy to forward you a Revell kit for the job - assuming you've got a comparable Hasegawa kit???

I would Rog...

Even though I was the "Steve" that sent Darin the photos on the other site. But it will need to wait for a time unfortunately, received some very bad news on Thursday so it's all stop here for the time being.

Will send you a PM...

S

• Like 1

there is a comparison pic of these, revell, Hassy and G-Factor all together over on LSP - the Eduard ones look *extremely* compressed compared with the other three

any thoughts chaps?

Hi guys,

I kind-of covered this earlier in the thread, but not specifically regarding the accuracy of the Eduard undercarriage set.

The Eduard set appears to be correct for a Fw190 with low pressure in the strut, for whatever reason that may be. The weight or specific load on the airframe has no great bearing on this compression. The struts were pressure-adjustable, as indicated by the graduated stencil often seen on the outside of the main gear door. The main gear door attaches to the main strut, while the wheel door bolts to the wheel and telescopes up and down with the compression... the small wedge at the rear of the main door also moves with the wheel, and it's position indicates the strut pressure on the stencil guide.

The way Eduard have cast the resin gear door is consistent with the length of the gear leg they have provided, and represents an aircraft with low strut pressure. As I said before, this in not dependant on aircraft load, but more for ground clearance - an aircraft operating from tarmac without bombs or tanks required less clearance than one taking off over a bumpy grass field with ordnance underneath. Furthermore, low strut pressure may simply be a case of the lack of facilities to be able to increase the pressure, for instance at a forward field etc.

So in short, the Eduard undercarriage set is not "wrong", but simply a variation of the circumstances seen on the Fw190.

S