The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:32 Focke-Wulf Fw 190F-8 cockpit and gun bay (for Revell kit)

James H

• Administrators

1:32 Focke-Wulf Fw 190F-8 cockpit and gun bay (for Revell kit)
Eduard
Catalogue # see article for code and price
Available from Eduard

DSC04839.jpg

Following hard on the heels of the undercarriage struts and wheels that we looked at recently, are two brand new sets that are designed for Revell’s recent Fw 190F-8 kit. Having built the test shot, and being in receipt of the production kit, I do know there are a few areas where the new Würger is let down a little. Whilst the cockpit is passable, it isn’t state of the art, and the forward gun bay is probably the worst feature of the kit, due to being both poor and lacking in much detail. The plastic parts, for me, were quite rudimentary, and the gun cowl was thick and lacked any interior detail. That pretty much kills that area for me, and you would either need to be a super-scratchbuilder or simply not bothered about it, to be able to display this area. Again, Eduard come to the rescue with these two new Brassin releases.

• 632056, Fw 190F-8 cockpit, 37,45 €
  • 632060, Fw 190F-8 MG131 mount, 29,95 €

Fw 190F-8 cockpit

DSC04840.jpg

This set, presented in Eduard’s familiar satin black box, is designed to be a simple, drop-replacement set for the kit plastic parts. A quick scan of the instructions shows that to be the case, with no surgery needed to the host plastic, whatsoever. Inside the box, we see the three-sheet instructions, folded over some soft grey foam. Lift this out and you will find a one-piece resin cockpit tub, three small zip-lock wallets of resin, two photo-etch frets (one in colour), and a small decal sheet.

DSC04841.jpg

Just as Revell made their tub in one piece, Eduard has designed theirs to fit the kit using the attachment points already present on the Revell styrene. As I know the Revell part very well, I have to say that, for detail, there is no comparison. The detail here is more numerous, accurate and certainly sharper. The ugly moulded-on throttle of the Revell part is a separate part here, which will attach neatly to the lever channel. Eduard really have made a beautiful job here, with a better looking foot plate and shield that covers the control column linkage, and the turtle-deck is a big improvement too. Not only is the stowage door is provided as a separate piece, there are two PE options provided. Removal of the casting block should be fairly easy too, and remember to also remove the resin web from the wall behind the pilot’s seat.

DSC04842.jpg

DSC04843.jpg

DSC04844.jpg

Packet 1

DSC04846.jpg

Six parts are to be found here, cast in the same light grey resin that the tub itself is made from. Eduard’s seat really is excellent, being both thinly cast, and containing neat rivet detail and mounting attachment points. Two optional parts are also included for this. These are the main seat cushion, and separate lower back padding. The latter was missing from the Revell release. Also included here are resin replacement parts for one headrest option. Eduard supply a new instrument coaming too.

Packet 2

DSC04847.jpg

Cast in a darker grey resin, the second canopy internal frame option is included. The armoured headrest for this is in the next package. Here you will also find a perfect-looking control stick (vastly different from the weedy looking thing in the kit!), the rudder pedal frames. Connection of the frame and canopy interior are easy to saw through, being thin resin membranes that require minimal effort to remove.

Packet 3

DSC04849.jpg

Notice that Eduard have opted NOT to include a colour PE instrument panel here. The bezels and other detail on the Fw 190 instrument panel, perhaps don’t lend themselves too well to the 3D relief that is required? Maybe. Either way, the split level panel is supplied as resin parts, with blank instrument dial faces into which you can apply the decals that come with this set. As you can see from photos, the detail is really very good, with wiring also included.

Optional panels are also included for WGr.21 rockets, or for the MG FF controller unit. These themselves are attached to one of two panel options. Another floor mounted instrument panel is included, as are two gun-sight option, with clear acetate parts for the lenses. Other parts include hood release handle.

Photo Etch

DSC04852.jpg

As standard, Eduard seem to include the colour-PE seatbelts in these cockpit upgrades. If I’m really honest, I’d much prefer to see the inevitable textile set included instead, as these are far more realistic and easy to manipulate. Still, a full set of belts is included, and printing is very good.

DSC04853.jpg

The brass fret contains the bulk of the extra detail for this set, including stowage panel door options, levers, rudder pedals and mounting frames, forward hood facing, sliding hood elements etc. As you can see, quality is everything you would expect from Eduard, with narrow, thin attachment points, and fine detailing.

Decals

DSC04854.jpg

All instruments are supplied as separate decals, and ideally, you should punch them out so as to eliminate every trace of carrier film. This will make them easier to apply. Decals are included for the warning shield on the pilot’s headrest. Just a thought, but if these are included, maybe some replica placards would be good too, such as those that Barracuda produce for the Mustang and Corsair. Again, just a thought….

Printing is very good, and is thin, in register and there is minimal carrier film.

Instructions

632056-3.jpg

632056-4.jpg

You really should have zero problems in assembling this product. Illustrations are clear and concise, and optional parts are self-explanatory. Mr Hobby paint codes are supplied throughout too. There are three folded A4 sheets here that makes use of different coloured inks to show the demarcation between resin and plastic parts.

632056_5.jpg

632056_6.jpg

Fw 190F-8 MG131 gun mount

DSC04855.jpg

This set corrects perhaps the weakest element of the Revell kit. Discard those plastic parts and install this beautifully detailed gun bay, complete with a thinly cast and amazing looking gun cowl! Packed into a clear blister packet, this set contains TEN resin parts, and a further NINETEEN photo-etch pieces, all designed to totally transform this area of the host kit.

DSC04856.jpg

Resin parts are cast in a combination of light and dark grey resin. It seems that the darker resin tends to be used for the more fragile parts, perhaps with a slightly different and more flexible property to them. The light grey parts include the upper weapons tray, ammunition boxes, feed chutes and empty shell chutes. Just compare the kit part against Eduard’s resin weapons tray, with its connectors, wiring and other detail. Then look at the guns for comparison. Now you can see why I consider this set to be essential, if you wish to pose this area in an open position. I think these MG131 guns are an absolute work of art.

DSC04857.jpg

DSC04858.jpg

DSC04860.jpg

DSC04862.jpg

Ammunition boxes have their riveting, neatly cast strap handles, and of course, hollow shell ejector chutes.
It did seem that Revell perhaps knew their gun bay detail was more than a little bit pants. They made no real effort to produce a thin, detailed cowling. The clunky and internally featureless affair isn’t very good. However, Eduard’s resin alternative is a world away in terms of quality. It is so thin that light streams through the resin when it’s held to the light. Externally, the detail of this looks great, with neat riveting, and recessed cowl latch areas. Internally, all the constructional elements can be seen, including the rear of the latch recesses. Also the hinge matches up perfectly to that moulded on the weapons tray. Now….who will be the first to try and drill/pin these so they move?

DSC04863.jpg

The PE parts include a sheathing for the kit bulkhead, providing some good detail, as well as a couple of frames that attach to this. You will also find the cowl latches here and a nice addition too, namely the windscreen wash tubes. With the latter, I would still possibly make these from thin lead wire, but at least Eduard included them.

632060-2.jpg

632060-3.jpg

632060-4.jpg

Again, the instructions are easy to follow, but you will have to conduct the most basic of surgery to the internal bulkhead. Colour call-outs are supplied for Mr Hobby paints.

632060_2.jpg

Conclusion.
I love what Eduard has created for this kit. Revell did a great job with the new 190F-8, generally. The look and feel of it, to me, is correct, and these sets add that detail that I just love to see. Both sets are reasonably priced, and won’t break the bank. Surgery is minimal, if any is required at all, and as a result, a relative notice should be able to fit these to their model too. What I now wonder is if we’ll see a super-detailed BMW801 engine to compliment these sets. I really do hope so!

VERY highly recommended!

My sincere thanks to Eduard for these review samples. To purchase directly, click the links in the review.

James H

eduard-LOGO-2.jpg

• Like 7

Guest Dekenba

These are absolutely perfect for the Revell kit.

The kit is a great kit in it's own right, but is also a superb base for adding AM - it's cheap enough to satisfy OOB builders, yet Eduard allows super-detailers to go to town without breaking the bank.

Everybody is happy!

Sweet! I'm still staggered by the quality of resin up-grades these days ... Man, we're lucky that our time in this hobby is now and not 30 years ago (if that makes sense...). Those guns look wonderful - just look at those complex shapes and "negative" spaces. Delicious.

• Like 1

looks tip top

the cockpit is very sharply cast indeed cf the Eagle Editions Dora...

gun cowling:

will Eduard release this part on its own as a cheaper correction option for the Revell part, which I understand is not as good as it could be?

• Administrators

looks tip top

the cockpit is very sharply cast indeed cf the Eagle Editions Dora...

gun cowling:

will Eduard release this part on its own as a cheaper correction option for the Revell part, which I understand is not as good as it could be?

....not that I know of. It could be worth asking if they would be willing to help you out though.

hey Jim

i don't have the kit (yet!) but this would be one of the things i would look to correct

more of a commercial suggestion to Eduard than anything else, as I am sure others will bring part out - just that Eduard have it ready to go, so might as well take advantage etc etc

:)

Yes, and yes.  This is a USD$24 kit which builds really nice OOB.  It's all relative, add another USD$90 and you have a complete uber kit.  A few pits and MG131 upgrades will be ordered.

Nice review Jim.

Along with a small serving of Henri Daehne props and spinners (I'm assuming you'd get the tongue-in-cheek referencing here James!!!) ... these would make an awesome 190! ... Thanks very much!

Rog :)

• 3 weeks later...

oh boy oh boy oh boy!

I'm going to start accumulating these sets (& others like the wheels, undercarriage legs, decals etc) in anticipation.

Eduard responded to my customer inquiry with an affirmative, in that they are working on a complete engine & mount.

This is indeed a great time for large scale aircraft enthusiasts - some of Tamiya's big birds as well as the stunning stream of Wingnuts kits come to mind, but an accurate butcher bird with all of its panels opened up in 1/32 scale will probably be my ultimate kit & I literally can't wait to tackle it!!!

Thanks for the review & keep em coming

Doug

• 3 months later...

Something I've just noticed...

As exquisite as the Eduard cockpit set is (and it really is spectacular in it's detail), it is lacking the correct back armour piece for the blown canopy option, which is a slightly different shape and has a round padded headrest at the top. Eduard seems to have only looked at updating the parts actually present in the Revell kit, as this too only has the one armour plate option included despite having a choice of clear rear canopy parts.

S

• Like 2

• Administrators

Something I've just noticed...

As exquisite as the Eduard cockpit set is (and it really is spectacular in it's detail), it is lacking the correct back armour piece for the blown canopy option, which is a slightly different shape and has a round padded headrest at the top. Eduard seems to have only looked at updating the parts actually present in the Revell kit, as this too only has the one armour plate option included despite having a choice of clear rear canopy parts.

S

Cheers! I want to build another of these, so I'll correct that when the time comes. 

Yeah, but I wouldn't sweat it Jim,

There's the usual 3 options: a spare from the Hasegawa kits, scratch your own or leave it as is. And it's not that it's so noticeable, the Revell kit's been out 6 months or more and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

S

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the engine with panels & latches etc arrived at my house today. I've always liked detail sets, having previously built an "opened" butcher-bird in 1/48 using the excellent Aires set but I have to say that this is the most amazing resin detail I have ever seen - for any aircraft in any scale. Its absolutely stunning! The cost of all these detail sets (firewall, engine, cockpit, undercarriage etc) will easily make this build more expensive than a new Tamiya kit (the relatively paltry cost of the Revel kit itself aside!) but the potential is amazing. I'll tackle it as soon as I finish my current JV44 D9 and can't wait to start seeing 1/32 butcher-birds appearing on the web and on contest tables with their guts exposed...

• Like 1