The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Future + Tamiya Acrylics

David Hansen

Hi,

A technique i heard about from Roy Sutherland a while back involves adding Johnson's Future/Kleer/Pledge w/ Future Shine/ Whatever it is called this week to Tamiya acrylics to improve the durability of the paint. I have started doing this very cautiously and the results are encouraging, but i want to know if other people are doing this and the results they are getting.

I'm using Tamiya Lacquer thinner instead of their IPA to improve the "etching" characteristics of the paint.

As i said, would love to hear from those currently doing this.

-d-

• Like 2

Starting with a model that's been wiped down with methylated spirits - no primer - and detacked, I often found the matt Tamiya acrylic colours had a chalky/soft finish when thinned with X-20A.  They would mark up very easily during subsequent handling - but could also be buffed to a sheen if careful.  Thinning with Tamiya lacquer thinner helped to improve the finish, but I still got "fragile" finishes from time to time - seemed to vary a lot with the particular colour, and humid conditions.  Have since dabbled with adding around 5% by volume of Tamiya X-22 Clear Gloss to the mix as a way of further reducing the the chalkiness and improving the (?) hardness.  Seems to give reliable results.  Perhaps Roy was using Future as a cheaper alternative to X-22.

Have heard others say that thinning Tamiya acrylics with Gunze lacquer thinner or Gunze self-levelling thinner gives better results that thinning with Tamiya lacquer thinner.

Sounds like priming might be a big step forward.

• Like 1

I began using Gunze self-leveling thinner with Tamiya acrylics (as well as with my ever-dwindling supplies of Gunze Aqueous) a couple of years ago. I have always been delighted with the results, among which are a noticeably more durable (and smooth) finish with the Tamiya paints. The only downside is the Gunze thinners are a good deal more "aromatic" than the more benign Tamiya thinner.

I have not yet tried adding a bit of Future or X-22 to the mix, although I am now intrigued and will give it a whirl (on some plastic sheet first, of course).

Regards,

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Jim and Jeroen I just can't see why when I seal that coat as I go plus I only on occasions  thin my Tamiya paints preferring to spray neat!

With that said it's always nice to hear about and experiment with new techniques.

• Like 1

I'm going with Ed as I've been thinning Tamiya acrylics with the Gunze self-levelling and never had any issues with the results. Only thing to watch is that the ideal paint/thinner ratio seems to vary with some colours but a quick bit of testing sorts it out.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have found that a 50/50 mix of Tamiya Thinner and Future/Klear works great for re enforcing the paint when a ton of masking is taking place.  For me it has stopped paint peeling off with the tape.  It doesn't change the dullness of the flat paints unless you really focus it on.

Guest DannyVM

I all ready heard allot of thinning paint's with different sort's of fluid's, which has cracked my mind and gave me real thought's about peoples seriousness regarding the modeling hobby. This, again is something new, and it's a complete waste of your paint durability. Future and all it's brands are yellowing in time. So i won't use it in my paint. I use it only for dipping my canopy's and even then i'm very careful of doing that. for the rest i leave it alone.

All depends of the surface where you put your paint on. A good primer, and a smooth surface are the perfect mixture of a successful paint stick onto the surface.

One important thing, always use the proper thinning fluid with the paint, Tamiya acrylic paint's are thinned with X-20A or isoprophyl alcohol nothing else.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

I'd agree about the Future Danny but I happily thin Tamiya acrylics with Mr Levelling Thinner and have had no issues to date.

Everybody is free to use what he want's to thin his paint, who am i to say otherwise. I never used Mr. leveling thinner, but i read that it is a lacquer based thinner, so based on cellulose solvents. That mixed with Tamiya acrylics.....i don't see the reason why you should thin acrylic paint based on isoprophylicus alcohol with cellulose solvent based thinners, that's the world in reverse. Be sure you make a very poisonous paint mixture, i hope you know that.Again, who am i to say otherwise, i can only say i don't even bring it to my mind to do it that way.

Greetz

Danny

Yeah, I agree Danny, each to their own.

My reason for using the Gunze is that it's actually easier to get hold of here than IPA!?! :blink:

Well if you mean isopropyl rather than India Pale Ale! It gets drunk pronto.

I do always wear a respirator with it.

Cheers, Gus

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

This is interesting, and I'd never heard of it before.

Most of my paint is acrylic artist tube paint.  I thin it almost entirely with Future.  It makes for a strong paint that self-levels nicely.  But I never considered using it on my small selection of Tamiya paints.

Gaz

3 hours ago, GazzaS said:

This is interesting, and I'd never heard of it before.

Most of my paint is acrylic artist tube paint.  I thin it almost entirely with Future.  It makes for a strong paint that self-levels nicely.  But I never considered using it on my small selection of Tamiya paints.

Gaz

I had never thought of using it with tube paint...but I am now.

When I put it in with my Tamiya's, I have never had a peel problem with tape ( I hope I didn't just curse myself.)  I did have to experiment with trying not to alter the sheen or general character of said paint.  In the end I think it was well worth the effort.  I add X-20A Thinner if I have muddled the mix and to help over all spray ability and thickness.

• Like 1