The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Hey Everyone,

I thought I would start this WIP with a little back info.  I came to the decision about this scratch project when I was working on the Maz build about a year ago or so.  I tend to work quite a ways ahead of myself.  I have spent that time now, gathering everything I need for this build and I'm almost ready to give this a timid start.  I say timid because this will be my secondary build for a bit while I finish my DIO. build for another site, so not as much time devoted to this project just now, but slow and steady to start.

MAZ 543/Scud B

GwvrnR.jpg

I have very good references for scratching this large Russian launcher.  There seems to be a number of good kits available on this subject. 

Taehgd.jpg

I really like all the body panels on this beast.  I thought I could stretch myself a bit with these body panels and I like the overall big feel of this.  You know me, big Russian trucks with many tires.  However after getting most of the materials together to the point that I have everything for this build, and really started looking at what I had for a scratch project, and I realized that underneath the body work is the same Straight Rail Ladder Frame with the same Suspension and Drive System that I just built in the MAZ project.  I didn't want to build another Maz.

This will be a great project later on, but I want to build something not a MAZ.

M25 DRAGON WAGON

cUEKSN.jpg

wtxvXs.jpg

My second choice to scratch was the huge American M25 Dragon Wagon.  I like this monster large tractor very much, with so many possibilities to work with.  And for me, the single thing that really makes me want to attempt this project is the idea of scratching a Quad Chain Double Axle !!  Oh! the chains of bondage and torture we model builders put ourselves through.

fifGfG.jpg

I was a bit worked up to start this project when everything stalled.  I need to find clearer, cleaner references for the engine and transmission components.  So for now that is where this project is.

FROG-7

Now it brings me to this. 

SVzaq3.jpg 

A,  Zill- 135 carrier, with a Luna-M Tactical Missile, and a 9P113 Launcher.  That's a bad boy!  That can be nuclear armed.  The 9M21 missile is the very one pointed at my back yard during the Cuban Missile Crisis when I was a kid.

jI0m89.jpg

I finally chose this for a lot of reasons, that I know are just going to hurt me.  The main thing that grabbed me about this, is the idea of these rounded body panels and how molded they appear.  In fact, they are molded.  Sprayed into a mold, fiberglass body panels.  All the body panels on the launcher are fiberglass with the main chassis and drive line iron and steel.  I have no clue how I'm going to do that.

Thinking back, I could just kick myself for not thinking of how to do a lot of things on the Maz build.  So keeping that in mind I have a list of things that I want to accomplish with this build.  The very first thing with this build is the scale.  I'm so used to building in 1/16 and 1/20 scale, that anything smaller is getting to hard to see and work with.  I had considered building this ugly Frog prince project the same scale as the Maz so I could put it in the same  junkyard.  But when I looked at how big this is, even at my build scale, 1/25, the frame is just about as big as the Maz was at 1/20 scale.  I also considered that at 1/25 scale I have a new world open up to me with all the aftermarket details.  Just about anything I need to accomplish the details I want to try.  I have recently discovered something that i'm sure that all you guys already know.  In that, it is a hobby unto itself just collecting items for our hobby. 

I would like to articulate the doors and panels.  I tried this with limited success during the Maz build.  But also the suspension, the steering, the windows, the launcher and the crane...  I also need a good stretching in the detail department with hose fittings and wiring and such.

vJTGIy.jpg

Look at all that junk to detail.  This going to be a real royal pain!

I've been here a few years now and have seen some great builders with great techniques and materials usage, and I'm looking forward to stealing everything I can from everybody to help me work in a smaller scale with more details.

The last thing I do in my personal build style is , after I get all the patterns and references together.  I gather the build materials.  I have all of the basic styrene material, and I'm looking for the 3rd party details as their need arise. 

The first part of the build is the main, Straight Rail X-Frame.  I'll be back, Thanks All.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

So I sort of knew that this WIP would be a slow one to start.  I have managed to put some time into this new build, but only about an hour at a time.

The cutting of the frame components is on going and tedious.  Working on this project in small amounts of time, it's hard to see any progress.  Only when I get things together dose it look like I'm making progress.

The first step is to release the patterns from the sheet styrene.

eXRLMx.jpg

Then the rough cuts...

043kop.jpg

Then clean up the parts...I take a bit more time and get my cuts closer to the mark...

CQdDlZ.jpg

Then I get everything close to install finish...

wrAhZC.jpg

The last step is to the final install cleaning.

I'll be back with the final cleaning and some details that are put on to the frame components before assembly.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 6

Hi Rich, another of those russian beasts, seems to be an addiction. Yeah these vehicles are very appealing in their brute functionally design.

I found one pictue of a Frog, taken by me three years ago north of Berlin in the open air museum "Flugzeugmuseum Finowfurt" an abandoned airfield of the Soviets in the former GDR. It's only black and white  and therefore just a teaser.

Have fun with that new project 

Cheers Rob

P1080727.thumb.JPG.0c3303b6eae9637b679043b4c72b8203.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for the interest guys!  I have a ton of photos for this build.  Some of the photos are from several open air museums around Europe.  I just happened to chose a subject that is quite plentiful.  I hope you guys enjoy this build.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Hey All,

I have started assembling the frame for this project.  I know I'm building rather slow on this WIP for now, but everything is going according to plan...so far.

I have all the parts cleaned for install...

saMtlI.jpg

Some parts of the frame are quit thick for this scale.  The main frame is 1mm thick.  That seems to be a bit much, but the measurements work out at this scale.

Instead of trying to cut the frame parts out of 1mm thick styrene, (thicker styrene always gives me a really hard time of it), I cut two patterns at 0.5mm to bond together to get the thickness I was after.  I had better control over the cutting and keeping the cuts clean.

RBw2Hi.jpg

Once I got the two parts bonded together, I just had to clean up my cuts and get ready for install.  The small clamps I use for the frame work are from a sewing supply store.

bTnlcM.jpg

The cleanup looks a lot uglier at this close viewing range.  Just a bit of sanding and I'm ready for install.

YikJ93.jpg

This is it!!  The first two parts to be joined on this monster build.

Almost every one of the references I have for this build is a clean military version of the vehicle.  However I do have references for an old beat up version that has been repainted a somewhat blue/turquoise color, an old copper green, and is starting to rust out.

I'm not going to rust this up as much as the Maz, but I would like to build this as a used abused repainted machine.  The colors I chose are, the faded Russian military green under, with a top coat of the blue/turquoise.  You will see plenty of reference photos of the colors as I build.

The frame needs to be closed up to support all the junk that fits onto it.  However I would like to add some details before I close up the frame.

I'll be back to show how I have added the details and the colors next time.

Thanks All for watching and following along.....and thanks Jeroen, that was funny!!

• Like 3

Hey All,

The X- frame is slowly coming together.  I have installed the cross members with a small amount of detail added to the beams and also the bottom side web supports.

The first step here is to do the final install finish and custom fitting into the correct location of the cross beams.  Even tho I take a bit of time finishing all the items involved, nothing is perfect here. 

The side rails went together easy enough.  The trick was to try to keep everything square.  

NTp5EH.jpg

I got the install to the point at least, where it all looks and feels good.  Not that I'm a liberal at all....... not sure where that comment came from...

UgaqPu.jpg

The bit of detail I wanted to add is the strength beads and rims.  Just to add to the visual tension when looking through the frame.

zBg33U.jpg

Flipping the frame over, I started the install of the strong webs.  Like all the parts, custom finished to the location...

5OHsQr.jpg

Sort of look a little wonky at this scale, but things look fine at full scale...

rwNR43.jpg

The next thing to detail are the X-beams, and install.   I'll be back with all the X factor stuff....

Thanks guys, Happy Looking.....

• Like 3

Thanks Doc!

Hey Guys,

The Frog is starting to take shape.  The frame anyway.  I got the x-beams built and ready to install.  A bit more fine tuning and I'm ready to fit these into place permanently.

I finished the little detail work and got things ready for the next step, and continued the beam work.

DdVBlZ.jpg

The X-members still need to be detailed in this photo, but you can see how thing will fit together.

vH6vaj.jpg

A sunny summer day to paint...

This is a coat of Russian military green,  then a misting of rust.  You can see I painted the x-beams separately so I could get the paint into the creases.  I only stayed out side a few minutes,  85F / 29C.

62iksb.jpg

I thought I would try the salt technique to get the color change I wanted.  But, as you will see, the color went onto the project so subtle, the the salt technique was non visible.  So this was the only time I took a photo and after this I did not use this technique, no need.

sTlGkm.jpg

The weathered copper color looks a bit more intense out in the daylight, but I really like the color as a ground for the dirt and grease to come...

sXSkmj.jpg

Inside lighting, the color is not nearly as intense, but still shows the nice old copper color...

owGpRi.jpg

sFmqeM.jpg

Now I'll take this apart again to let it all set up for a day or so, then permanently install the X-beams.  Once I get these installed I will rust up the areas that I wont  be able to get to later on.  All the little creases and corners.  I'll have some close up photos of the weathered rust and junk next time.

Thanks Everyone for looking......

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

Just a quick posting. I thought I would post some photos of the rusting frame as I go along.  This is all going to get covered up and wont be seen again.

After I painted the frame the green color, I started the rusting process.  This will be somewhat modest compared to the Maz build.  

I start my rusting by building layers of color.  Like one of my gallery paintings, I start with a light wash of the various colors and let everything dry.

3WJ9RM.jpg

Then I start to add the layers of rust and texture...These are drying on an open window sill.  

EOtQOb.jpg

You can see below on the section of frame, on the left, I have rusted the corners, and on the right, not yet, just my original stain.

QvLadQ.jpg

The rust is gettin' there...

VtGkuC.jpg

This is just about as much as I will do for this part of the frame.  When this all sets I will install the X-beams and then do the final weathering for this part of the frame.

MNeOoH.jpg

Once I get the X-beams installed I will tighten up the rusting in the corners and then I want to add a light layer of dull coat to seal all this together.  Then a greasy pin wash layer of Black or maybe Raw Umber.

I'll be back with more frog romance later........Thanks All.

• Like 3

Hi Rich, interesting method of building up corrosion. I like these kind of short tutorials, it's always good do see different approaches used by different people. My method of rusting is quite different from yours, but I will try your way because I like the results. The salt technique is another thing I will try soon.

But after your MAZ Project, I think you deserve the title as the "Corronator"

Cheers Rob 

• Like 1

Thanks for checking in guys!

Hey All,

The frame detailing continues.............

59cGiv.jpg

I have the frame suitably greasy and oily...

icasRU.jpg

The shine dose not show so good here...but it looks grimy enough in person.....

3uxbG0.jpg

That's it for the frame for now.  It's time to move on.  I'm starting with the suspension parts first...

LS0CQl.jpg

I'll be back with more of the suspension system.

Thanks All..........

• Like 4

Hey Guys,

I have spent the last week or so building the central supports for the middle wheels.  These little things were a pain in the wheels.  As far as I can figure, the central wheels are mainly for support of the central portion of the frame.  I can not find any suspension components for these, and the rigid housings are bolted directly to the frame with no shock equipment anywhere.  I know that these inner wheels do have drive components built into them.  I'll build the drive components later tho.

The first thing as always, the parts...

76mCgB.jpg

There were a few more parts involved with these than I first thought.  Just cutting out the parts took days...

Then I had to bolt everything together....

J6n8Pd.jpg

The wackiest part of this mini build was to get the styrene to bend around into this cone sort of shape.

7Cuge2.jpg

I managed to get things bent into shape and bolted together...and starting the strength webs that are placed all around these little things...

wEkb3R.jpg

I just had to build four of them.  With all the little strong webs and bolts, these had a a fair amount of parts each...

u78g1j.jpg

Fresh back from the paint shop...

rdVmOO.jpg

Fresh dirt and rust...

NUyfb9.jpg

I think the photo below is still wet paint...

2dZMnT.jpg

Now I have all four of the central supports installed.  The remaining components are attached to the inside of the wheels.  I'll build the wheel stuff later...

DIcqWc.jpg

The white styrene on the frame is where I have sanded the frame level...

KJXzHK.jpg

Greasy, grimy wheel mounts...

Xk8l7U.jpg

Now that I have these installed, I want to move to the suspension components at the four corners.  However I need to install the front and back "bumpers" that will hold the open ends of the frame, closed and square.

I'll be back with closing up the open ends of the frame next.

Thanks for looking and leaving comments all.........

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

'Bout Ye?

Closing up the open ends was a simple enough task.  The shapes are just flat sheet cut to shape.  Test fitting the size and shape below.

31vaHA.jpg

The bolt pattern secures the sheet metal to the frame...

GpzjZb.jpg

Fresh paint...

nbWLuY.jpg

The back frame closure is simple sheet also...

vBnwBl.jpg

Blending...

H1nmDg.jpg

SyTBcp.jpg

NSysQ3.jpg

Now that I have the ends closed I can move on to the corner suspension elements,  and there are a lot of parts to deal with.

I'll be back later.........Thanks All.....

Hey Guys!

It's been a wacky week trying to come to terms with how much cutting there seems to be with the corner suspension units.  I have a few parts that are 2mm thick and the rest are 1mm thick.  I needed to cut multiples of each to get the dimensions that I needed.  I was cutting 16 of some items to get everything correct.  The process of building the corner units is only about half way done.

First thing, cut out the parts and bolt them together...

k3mU2v.jpg

cvH3kM.jpg

Parts and more parts....

ovBSSj.jpg

zT9pZ4.jpg

After cutting and gluing all these items together, I had to test fit everything.  The test fitting is good and the parts move freely...

wmmTgR.jpg

I see just now that I assembled the parts wrong, but will be rearranged when I install these.

That's the report to date.  I am starting to work on the Shock Absorbers and Mounts at the moment.  Once I get all that finished this whole unit gets installed at the same time.  I'll be back with building and installing the rest of the corner units.

Thanks All..........

• Like 2

Great skills Rich, I seem to be made of a different Kind of Styrene :D, to much scratching involved, phew, your Patience must be endless. You should try smaller russian beasts with less axles for reduced redundancy ;).

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

It's been a while since my last report.  A week off with a summer cold.  

The last report was of building the corner suspension.  The build continues.  Getting back into the swing of things, I still had much cutting to do to get all the components to come together.  I have managed to get things mounted onto the frame tho.

The components of the corner suspension.

1DXkSh.jpg

I used some jewelry items for the stock bumpers...

7w5Qma.jpg

BnSGN5.jpg

I have the corners painted and mounted to the frame.  Everything will get blended together and never seen again.

QrXHvo.jpg

av8uAd.jpg

Now that I have the main components mounted, I have a ton of parts that can not get mounted until I get the top of the frame secured down to the main frame.  I don't want to secure the top of the frame just yet.  I have several items that I want to build inside the frame.  

I need to build and install:  Air Bottles, Steering Components, Drive Axles, Gear Boxes, and Transfer Cases, all on the inside before I put the lid on.  With all that said, I canput the lid on, and work around the top, but at this point, I'd like to make life easier on my self.

kBn3YR.jpg

The rest of the suspension components are finished and ready for install, after the top is secured. I have the Shock Absorbers and their mounts that are secured to the top outside of the frame.  These in turn are mounted through the bottom wishbone of the suspension and hold the whole assembly together.   That's it.

I'm now ready to get to some of the inside frame details so I can get back to finishing the suspension.  I'll be back with starting the inside frame details.  

Thanks for looking!

Hey Guys,

I have a few photos for this report, but not as many as I should.  I sort of got into a ZEN mode when I was building the Air Bottles and didn't get any photos of the build.  I just woke up from a deep meditation and they were built.

Just like this........

dSG3E1.jpg

I didn't have clear photos of the bottle mounts, but a good idea of how they fit the frame...

YJw6YP.jpg

Getting things to blend in........

aCt8yj.jpg

This a bottom side view of the bottles and lines.  I used lead wire for the lines......

dh0lyp.jpg

GbtUiZ.jpg

The next part of the build looks to be some sort of duel compressor system inside the frame.  I have good references for these items, I just don't know what they are.  I'll show you next time.

Thanks for Looking.........

• Like 4

Hi Rich, Looking great, keep continuing, whatever the components are, you add :D. I might call you ScratchO in near future :D.

6 hours ago, harv said:

Looks great, but why are your pics stretched?........Harv

@harv, on my laptop evereything looks fine.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Hey Martin,

If you have seen my other build you will see that I rarely paint my vehicles a military color.  The references that I use are of post military service vehicles. That is, they are usually scrap and junk and have been abandoned in place.  The photos I am using for this build has the Frog repainted ( or seriously faded ) a turquoise color that I thought would look great as a contrasting color for the rusting.  Green and rust are complimentary colors and work great together.

The only clean military vehicles that I try to keep military colors, are OOB kits.  I have a stash of kits, but lately I have been on a scratching binge.

Thanks!

• Like 4