Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

On 2/4/2023 at 10:21 PM, CANicoll said:

Actually, I used to drive a '70 340 Duster!, with a 3/4 cam and the 727 Torqueflite trans.  That was a beast. But really would love to get my hands on a TA Challenger.

The Subie is a 2018 Limited as I really have to have a sunroof.  After I burned through the stock brakes in 4 hours at the track, I upgraded the brakes to the 6 Pot STI Brembos rotors, and 18x9.5 wheels with Michelin AS3+ tyres to get some wider rubber underneath.  It is a blast on the track (with track pads of course!  Big heavy car, front brakes take a beating). 

Chris, why the 3/4 cam?  Couldn’t afford to buy the whole cam?  
:rofl:

Man, that’s some real old terminology back to the Ford flathead days!  I always thought that was some street slang until I looked into the history of “1/4 race cam” or “1/2 race cam”. 
I was an old hotrodder from the ‘80’s. We cut our teeth on things like the Duntov 30/30, Competition Cams 280H if you had an auto trans and couldn’t afford a stall torque converter or a 292H if you were rolling in the dough! 

When I built the 5.0 in my ‘66 I was hit with questions like “Are you running the stock ECM or will it be tuned?”  How about no ECM?  I wound up using the Trick Flow Stage 1 cam that is their mildest cam that matches their heads. But I am running aftermarket EFI that has turned into a major PITA.  I’m going to play with it a little more this spring and if it doesn’t straighten out, I’m yanking all that crap and slapping on a Holly 600 cfm carb. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Those were the days.  You played with the timing by turning the distributor by hand. Changed the jets in the carb to get more fuel flowing.  Now it is all about the ECM tuning, and turbos are electrically controlled.  I can't even find my spark plugs these days...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

Those were the days.  You played with the timing by turning the distributor by hand. Changed the jets in the carb to get more fuel flowing.  Now it is all about the ECM tuning, and turbos are electrically controlled.  I can't even find my spark plugs these days...

Isn't that the truth, I love it when an older ride stops and you can smell the fuel from the carb.... I miss old school... older cars have a distinct smell and aura, unlike the rides of today, something the young dudes re missing out on..... I clearly remember, a number of years ago, I was in my '68 F-250 and my step son ( I think he was about 10) asks why the old  truck had two steering wheels.... I tactfully explained the second' steering wheel' was actually the horn ring.... he had also never seen one of those old school oil spouts we used to use on the tin oil cans, he had NO idea what it was, as all he had seen were the plastic oil containers with a lid.... oh how I long for the old days.....

• Like 1

TWO steering wheels!  :rofl:Oh man.  My dad had a Mobil Station which I worked at starting when I was 12 years old.  Oh yeah, I crushed some number of cardboard oil cans in my day!  And also checking the oil, the air filter (on the TOP of the engine - can you imagine such a thing!!), and the level of the water in the battery.  

Those oil spouts looked like a dangerous tool!  The kids these days have never driven a vehicle with manual steering, manual brakes (drum brakes!) and most can't drive a manual trans.  My oldest son, 29, drives a manual.  Loves it!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

TWO steering wheels!  :rofl:Oh man.  My dad had a Mobil Station which I worked at starting when I was 12 years old.  Oh yeah, I crushed some number of cardboard oil cans in my day!  And also checking the oil, the air filter (on the TOP of the engine - can you imagine such a thing!!), and the level of the water in the battery.  

Those oil spouts looked like a dangerous tool!  The kids these days have never driven a vehicle with manual steering, manual brakes (drum brakes!) and most can't drive a manual trans.  My oldest son, 29, drives a manual.  Loves it!

Yeah good old "Arm strong " steering, that's what my '68 F 250 has..... cardboard oil cans? ... naw earlier than that metal ones...  and yes that spout was a weapon ! LOL !!!  How cool, your pop had a Mobil station... oh to have some of that memorabilia in my garage ! Yeah what a hoot, looking back... we had it good.... I recall working at a gas station a my first job, actually pumping gas for the customer, checking the oil, and cleaning the windshield...... all that for 5 bucks an hour.... man  we had it good.....   love that your son drives a manual that's awesome !!!!

• Like 1

My youngest drives a manual 2002 Mustang he built from two cars.  He said I’m to blame for his career of building really nice custom cars.  He’s got a hell of a career going already at 27. 
I think I posted a pic from Mecum here last year with an LT4 powered ‘62 Corvette he built. Aww, screw it.  Here it is again  

I keep teasing him that it would have pulled another $50k if they didn’t black out all the chrome  😁

mNIDSK.jpg

Just yesterday I was trying to drive my 1990 F-250 to town to help a friend out.  Barely made it out of the neighborhood with zero acceleration and it got worse as I added throttle. Truck only has 57,000 miles on it. 
Put a new fuel filter on it today and it made a great improvement.  Now my catalytic converter sounds like it has a hundred marbles bouncing around inside it.  Trucks so old and we have no inspections here, so I was throwing around the idea of just putting in a bypass pipe, but man, I really hate the smell of a car now without a cat. 

• Like 4

Oh, man , you must be so PROUD of him, that is just too cool for words !!!! AND he does Corvettes!! I am an owner or rather caretaker of two of them, they have a special place in my heart.... I will be looking for him on Discovery Channel with his own show soon, I hope !! I watch Mecum all the time, I will have to keep my eyes open and pay a little more attention .... right on, that is just too cool !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yea, I think I built half that car with him from all the phone calls I got.  “Hey Pops, what about this, or that? Should I ….”

One of the best was the LT4 corvette style exhaust tips. He bought a bunch of stainless U shaped tubes, stated cutting them, got angles all off and called me for advise.  I simply did a Google search and found dual tips on line and sent him the link. Why make it when you can buy premade if you’re under a time crunch?  He was literally still bolting parts on the car in the Mecum tent where cars are displayed before the auction.  

He did get to meet Bruno Massel from Garage Squad at Mecum.  It was kind of funny because Bruno is the spitting image of my wife’s brother.  I’ve always told my son he’s his Uncles son because he favors that side of the family.  He told Bruno I’m always telling him he’s his Dad he never met.  :rofl:

The guy he works for is a very wealthy dealership broker that is living vicariously through my sons skills. But now he’s branching out with putting my son to work (and paying him very well too) and sending him all over the place doing work on restructuring dealerships, transporting cars across country, etc.  I keep reminding him he also needs to focus on the builds because his boss is in his upper ‘70’s and won’t be around forever. Focus on that resume building. 

Funny thing is, he got his start working the parts counter at Advance Auto while taking an auto tech class at Trident Tech in Charleston.  His boss came in and asked if he and his coworker could help him run some brake lines on a Factory 5 kit car.  They got there and realized they needed to blow the project all apart and start over since half the stuff was done wrong.  A few months later he got fired from Advance for doing a brake job on a friends car in the parking lot off duty.  I told him that was the best thing that ever happened to him.  He went to work for the guy full time. 

• Like 2

Off roading was a big part of my oldest sons early years. Many times I got the call to come help him get the Samurai out of the mud and stump pit.  It was almost like he wanted to get stuck.  I hated to sell that Samurai, but I got tired of the 11 pm calls (yea, no idea why a teenager has to do this stuff that late at night) and being his pit crew to rebuild after a weekend of stupidity. 
I enjoyed going on established backroads in the woods, but nothing like my boy did. 

• Like 4

So the old F-250 has been acting up since it came back from the transmission shop.  It actually started before then, just not quite as bad as it got two weeks ago.  Every time I tried accelerating up a hill, it would just fall flat on its face.  More throttle I gave it, the slower it would go.  I started thinking fuel filter.  Nope.   
Probably that rattling old catalytic converter that sounds like it’s full of marbles every time I hit a bump.  Ordered a manifold flange off evilbay for $40 and my local muffler shop set me up with a piece of 2.5” pipe expanded to 3” 

Few hours out in the driveway with some impacts, sawzall and a few choice words, it now runs like a scalded dog! 
7sAi8d.jpg

CMhb1O.jpg

Man, I love living in a no inspection state.   :D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Thanks Martin, unfortunately neither this or the new “pretender” defender will replace the sublime original. In some corners of LR Heaven the last true Defender was the TD5 and not the Puma engined substitute.  How to tell, the original, no hump / bump in bonnet……

• Like 3

A friend has a Series III 110 pickup. The ride was always incredibly stiff. One time a bunch of us went mountain biking and when we were done we all piled into his truck at the trailhead. 8 of us and our bikes crammed in. As we drove down the trail road, my friend commented that the Defender had never ridden so smoothly before due to us all loaded in there. 

Meantime my colleague's husband traded in one of the last Canadian Defender 90s  sold here for the new one. I didn't say anything but that was a trade down in my eyes. 

• Like 3