The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

4 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

You’re thinking of the last version, NC / MkIII. They have made them more angular and added edge back to the design. The colour is Machine Grey..........

I could be , although I must confess, I really don't look for them, although that is changing somewhat as a good buddy from work has one, to which I would ' guess ' as I don't know is a first gen? It is very round and soft, almost like a jelly bean , a little roadster with 1/2 an engine :rofl: ( 4 cyl ) the guys at work teased him ( NOT ME ) that it was a girls car..... but he likes it and asks me all sorts of questions about convertible top care and paint care etc....it's an older ride, black with a saddle interior. It is starting to show it's age , but he and his girlfriend took it on a long trip into the USA just a few weeks ago, and had a blast...... with 1/2 and engine, probably didn't buy a whole lot of gas either.....;)...................but they had fun and that's what it's all about especially going topless !

• Like 2

Martin, this Fiat is a MX5 shipped to to Fiat and then they add the body and tweaked engine I believe. Not that nice in reality, there are really some nasty unresolved design junctions on the body that IMHO just spoils the lines. Having worked in the design industry for the last 40 years, the mantra has to be “nothing needs to be ugly”........

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Martin, this Fiat is a MX5 shipped to to Fiat and then they add the body and tweaked engine I believe. Not that nice in reality, there are really some nasty unresolved design junctions on the body that IMHO just spoils the lines. Having worked in the design industry for the last 40 years, the mantra has to be “nothing needs to be ugly”........

With design ( and I know NOTHING about it) there seems to be a lot of tech, that needs to be incorporated with aesthetics, like the C-8 Corvette, some of those scoops and cooling gills look cool, BUT also perform a function for cooling the engine, brakes etc....that is where design gets really difficult, in my eyes anyway....to try and incorporate the functionality with good looks..... sometimes it can be an epic fail and others an epic success...... again on the new C-8 , the door handles, hidden, yet functional....................... and there is 10,000 other things..... not sure I'd be up to the task...... BUT I do know what I like and what I don't like..... and that is what makes the world round....

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jeff said:

When you guys say Miata, this is what I think of... see what I mean by ' soft '

1990-mazda-mx5-1.jpg

But Jeff, you do know that a 302 fits in the engine bay right?

Look up Monster Miata. They sell the conversion kit. Scary thing is the Ford 302 isn't much heavier than the 1.6 that you're swapping out.

• Like 4

You guys :lol: and BIG blocks..............my MX is averaging 40 mpg ( yep we still use gallons for mpg over here and litres for fuel) how mad is that.........what would a 302 average let alone Mr Mazda’s 50-50 weight distribution.......just a question :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Phil................. actually, my 2003 50th Anniversary Corvette is my 'economy' car  I can easily glean 34 mpg with it, as long as I am not punching the throttle and blasting around.... the new gen engines are incredible....  I can't really speak for the 302 ( old school ones I can ) and I know that the new Ford Coyote engine will tear your shorts off, it is so powerful, and it does get good mileage...so I am told..... but I DO know about Chevy LS engines, and they are incredible...................... bullet proof too... this pic is NOT my engine but identical, mine would NEVER be so filthy....

50455306.jpg

• Like 3

My buddy has a same premium trim Mustang GT five litre as myself . And his average gas mileage id 7l/100km. My average is in the ballpark of 17l per 100km. Maybe he blacked out the appropriate part of the display panel :)

Having said that, that's not the reason why I bought the car either  :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Wow, just thought Corvette or similar equals big engine equals low mpg.......learn something everyday........

It is an unpopular myth these days Phil, and that is what REALLY Pi$$es me off, when every thing over here is called a "Gas Guzzler" my new Tahoe goes into 4 cylinder mode when the 8 cans are not needed....... but yes my '03 is my economy car, and a buddy in Washington State, has an '03 Corvette Z06, LS 3 engine and he consistently gets 34 - 36 mpg on the highway..... I've seen the data it's true.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

My buddy has a same premium trim Mustang GT five litre as myself . And his average gas mileage id 7l/100km. My average is in the ballpark of 17l per 100km. Maybe he blacked out the appropriate part of the display panel :)

Having said that, that's not the reason why I bought the car either  :)

I'm kind of not a metric guy....... how long has it been?? LOL... My new Tahoe shows me at a consistent 11L/100 with a best at 9.2L/100...... not too bad for a 5000 lb truck I'd say................ do you think the 342 rear end, High PerfCold air induction and the Borla exhaust might be part of those good numbers?  I do....

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

That's great mileage for big truck, our minivan has 9l/100 on highway. This partial engine engagement system is brilliant idea. I guess everything boils down to the driving style. 

Yeah, and tire pressures, easy on the throttle, don't dive into corners, not on the gas on the brakes like I see lot do.... etc, etc, etc, BUT the ONE thing going against you is the CITY driving, that is a killer, if you get that hot rod out into Wild Rose Country for a good spin, I bet your mileage will go way up..... most of my driving is NOT city driving and that is HUGE....  take that puppy on a road trip..... LOL YES AFM ( active fuel management) is incredible, absolutely seems less, and my exhaust doesn't sound like a tuner either :rofl:

• Like 2