The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Carl

You're amazing!

Of course, where in the world do you display all the completed kits?

😉

2 hours ago, CANicoll said:

I'm glad you posted the pick of the clamps for the Tomcat.  I have replacement resin intakes for my plane so now I see what I may be faced with!

Agree with Peter: where do you put all of these terrific builds??

Happy holidays!
Chris

Thanks guys! 

I try to find space where I can for the finished builds. I'm planning to build a new display case in the new year that should hold some of them. But it's definitely getting to be a bit of a challenge. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Thanks guys! 

I try to find space where I can for the finished builds. I'm planning to build a new display case in the new year that should hold some of them. But it's definitely getting to be a bit of a challenge. 

Show us what you build, please.  Storage/display space is always a challenge.  Chris 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

Show us what you build, please.  Storage/display space is always a challenge.  Chris 

Will do. My first try was taking two Ikea Detolf display cases and joining them together to make one bigger cabinet plus adding 4 extra shelves. 

IMG_20200611_160831-L.jpg

IMG_20200611_165650-L.jpg

The new one will be similar in width but double the depth. 

Unfortunately Ikea seems to have recently discontinued the Detolf case but I have two already. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The reason folks buy the Detolf is for the glass and door hardware. They were originally around $50-60 for one so super cheap. 

Meantime, work on the Regult has progressed nicely. 

Cockpit pod:

PXL_20231225_025532487.thumb.jpg.a509e69013704e405a25d218183eab3f.jpg

PXL_20231225_025547126.thumb.jpg.6fe1a06de95371d5cbe37dcf0966e94e.jpg

Legs are coming together. 

PXL_20231225_025526463.thumb.jpg.7309ca01baa1fac859d815be6a7521d9.jpg

PXL_20231225_030539850.thumb.jpg.6e705d04c3944ded653a881e085f5ad2.jpg

Now they look like the birds that Sunny occasionally leaves for us at the back door. Or at least parts of the birds...

• Like 5

100% agree on the old Detolf. This is my entire collection of built models , if it fits, it can stay , if there is shelf space it can stay , otherwise it gets sold  . I periodically clear out the 2/3 year old models to make room for new ones, as I get bored looking at the same stuff. Maybe a bit brutal but means I don't keep models/ dust collectors all over the house. 

Sadly though, as Carl says ,  the corporate schmucks at IKEA killed it off in the usual corporate stupid way .

"We have a product that has sold well for years and has a huge following including aftermarket....lets make it smaller , cheaper , crappier and make more profit ...oh look non one is buying the new one because it's smaller and crappier  ...we'd better delist it ". How much profit do you need IKEA , are times getting hard ...??

"Marketeers" and accountants .....once they get hold of your company .....the product turns to schizzle . 

image.jpg

• Like 5

All Ikea products are getting lower in quality. Another best-seller is the Billy bookshelf. You would imagine a shelf of a bookshelf would be designed to withstand the weight of books … It used to be, but the new ones just take a few weeks to bow under the weight :wallbash:  …

And, btw, as a former marketeer, my #1 preoccupation was always product quality, to answer consumers’ and customers’ needs…

If you want to blame someone, go looking for the « gurus » of the « financial economy », and the traders operating on the stock-exchange to get their next Rolex, or Porsche …

Hubert

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Got the first two coats of blue on the Phantom.  Found a few spots that multiple layers of paint cannot hide.  Going to let it dry and wet sand with 1200 and shoot 2-3 more coats.  
Hell, might get brave and lay on one good coat straight out of the can and then use the airbrush to lay down some Leveling thinner to gloss it out.  
IMG_1215.thumb.jpeg.2861ecd56750b6e2715807c41c024274.jpeg

• Like 7

Starting over on an old build. Pegasus Models made some excellent dinosaur models out of solid vinyl that I picked up. Unfortunately they needed some fettling with regards to the fit and I botched the first time. I managed to get the legs off and after some time tweaking the joint, I got a much better fit. So first leg is on. 

PXL_20231228_035138543.thumb.jpg.2a2ecf1b67b71b673f50f5c852227148.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Starting over on an old build. Pegasus Models made some excellent dinosaur models out of solid vinyl that I picked up. Unfortunately they needed some fettling with regards to the fit and I botched the first time. I managed to get the legs off and after some time tweaking the joint, I got a much better fit. So first leg is on. 

Jeeeeez Carl! You keep yourself busy! Anyway, curious about what paint

to use on vinyl figures...Years ago, I painted a Mercury Astronaut figure

with..as memory serves me, Tamiya silver lacquer spray. Well, the dude never dried properly... He remained sticky. So, very interested in the correct

paint to use....I have my eyes on a Pegasus 1/8 Martian figure.. I'm sure

Tamiya acrylics would probably be fine, but, other products? Fillers, putty, thinners, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Got the first two coats of blue on the Phantom.  Found a few spots that multiple layers of paint cannot hide.  Going to let it dry and wet sand with 1200 and shoot 2-3 more coats.  
Hell, might get brave and lay on one good coat straight out of the can and then use the airbrush to lay down some Leveling thinner to gloss it out.  
IMG_1215.thumb.jpeg.2861ecd56750b6e2715807c41c024274.jpeg

Scott

Looking might good as the Blue Angels Blue is looking mighty smooth and glossy. I would just keep doing what you are doing, as the results speak for themselves - a sunglasses shine. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Carl

Pretty neat redo project and now even a dinosaur is sharing space on the bench. Looking forward to seeing him/her in paint and ready for action.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Jeeeeez Carl! You keep yourself busy! Anyway, curious about what paint

to use on vinyl figures...Years ago, I painted a Mercury Astronaut figure

with..as memory serves me, Tamiya silver lacquer spray. Well, the dude never dried properly... He remained sticky. So, very interested in the correct

paint to use....I have my eyes on a Pegasus 1/8 Martian figure.. I'm sure

Tamiya acrylics would probably be fine, but, other products? Fillers, putty, thinners, etc.

Paul, definitely don't use enamels or lacquers on vinyl models  as the paint won't dry which you found out. I generally use Tamiya acrylics and haven't had any issues. 

For filler, I'm using Vallejo putty as it's acrylic. Deluxe Perfect Plastic Putty works too. 

Hope that helps. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Carl

Pretty neat redo project and now even a dinosaur is sharing space on the bench. Looking forward to seeing him/her in paint and ready for action.

Peter, this is going to be an interesting painting exercise that's for sure. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Having received the Dspiae circle cutter I thought I’d give a shot on the Zero. This cutter is the cheapest out of their range, this one at £20 next up £35 and top level £75. Very impressed…….

IMG_0319.thumb.jpeg.4b90dea1c2601e6facf7159863a6e7d2.jpeg

Phil

Nice going and I'm glad you found the Dspiae Circle Cutter easy to use and works well. I've had mine for well over a year and haven't used it as of yet but surely will. The masks you made for the markings worked perfectly.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The second leg is glued on now. 

PXL_20231228_144057331.thumb.jpg.cae9c79e70277ef373fea597332cd165.jpg

The sanding sticks help to keep the clamps from slipping off since the T-Rex isn't exactly smooth. 

Carl

Nice surgical work for sure and looks like you're zeroing on the painting stages of the rescue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Having received the Dspiae circle cutter I thought I’d give a shot on the Zero. This cutter is the cheapest out of their range, this one at £20 next up £35 and top level £75. Very impressed…….

IMG_0319.thumb.jpeg.4b90dea1c2601e6facf7159863a6e7d2.jpeg

I also have the Dspiae cutter..... Very useful, especially when doing

the wheels on tanks. I use vinyl sheets for the masks...those intended

for use on Cricut cutters. These work well, and if careful, can

be used again. Nice work on the Zero!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, belugawhaleman said:

I also have the Dspiae cutter..... Very useful, especially when doing

the wheels on tanks. I use vinyl sheets for the masks...those intended

for use on Cricut cutters. These work well, and if careful, can

be used again. Nice work on the Zero!

Thanks Paul, didn’t have any big tape available so for the wing roundels I had to use DIY tape albeit some good quality one…….the fuselage were 18mm Tamiya tape……..

• Like 4