Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Paul, that's a lot more wheels than I'm dealing with. 

The Tiger only has 48 which I glued on last night. 

PXL_20240707_023800899.thumb.jpg.77fc6785813884e60a4a28300b81ccef.jpg

PXL_20240707_023747959.thumb.jpg.aa2ae34abaebfa8fafa77bce9a668378.jpg

Where’s the truck and Sea Fury…………I can’t keep up……and…..…😬

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Where’s the truck and Sea Fury…………I can’t keep up……and…..…😬

The Sea Fury is behind the Tiger and the LUV is to the left of the Tiger. I know, there's so much clear space on my bench I need to find stuff to fill it up. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Paul, that's a lot more wheels than I'm dealing with. 

The Tiger only has 48 which I glued on last night. 

PXL_20240707_023800899.thumb.jpg.77fc6785813884e60a4a28300b81ccef.jpg

PXL_20240707_023747959.thumb.jpg.aa2ae34abaebfa8fafa77bce9a668378.jpg

That bottom view looks veird with all those wheels...what were those german engineers thinking😵

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Here's the LUV.

PXL_20240708_020210125.thumb.jpg.37e39e4ee87f49d62b3e6d2f8f10308f.jpg

And here's the paint supervisor making sure there's at least a hair or two in the paint. 

PXL_20240708_020133425.thumb.jpg.6f14ae91c3df580e8fdd296f20b088dd.jpg

Looks like you got a raspberry for your efforts! 

• Haha 5

A big boat !

In spite of my bench being wide (5 Hobbyzone modules wide, so that’s 1.5 meters of « free » space, it’s pretty full with it :) …

i-gw8bdxF-600x450.jpg

Some time ago, I showed some pics of a model of « Columbia », the 1899 / 1901 winner of the America Cup. It is not my build, but a model, probably made in Mauritius, that I bought off-the-shelf some 23+ years ago. It is not a scale-model per se, with a somewhat « rustic » feeling in some areas, but the overall shape is accurate enough to make it an unmistakable reproduction of Columbia.

After some 10 or 11 moves in the same time-lapse, it was badly in need of a major careening : flaking paint on the hull, some rigging gone astray, some missing bits and pieces, the bowsprit which I had replaced a few years ago bending up under the jibs tension, etc. So I went through the restoration process. This was the last tick on the to-do list of the works in my (rebuilt) new house, so an important milestone for me: I have now a free mind to come back to modelling :piliot:! The idea was to keep the feeling of the model, and the unique features of the hand-made model.

The cracks and flakes in the paint were puttied, sanded and the above-waterline hull repainted in the original white that adorned Columbia (the underwater part was probably green, but again, this is not a true scale model …)

Some new brass fittings were made, especially by adding some cross-bars to keep the bowsprit straight and true, even though  they were not on the model in the beginning. My soldering skills are still not great, btw :( …

i-gX76Sxf-600x450.jpg

And here it is now, repainted, remasted, and re-rigged … 

i-PfHj6Pj-600x450.jpg

i-2Vz66wt-338x450.jpg

i-SPRKr5k-338x450.jpg

By the way, in my restoration effort, I decided to replace the model’s original steering wheel, small and toy-like IMHO, with a new home-made one, more in-line with the scale size of the model …

i-tbkQ37g-338x450.jpg

Now, on to clearing the scale aircraft models SOD !

Hubert

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely a stunning restoration. And of course, you new "cave" is awesome as well. Looking forward to build threads on 'clearing the scale aircraft models SOD !' 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hubert, your skills and knowledge of subjects have always impressed me. This one is no different!  And what a perfect location to display it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

Hubert, your skills and knowledge of subjects have always impressed me. This one is no different!  And what a perfect location to display it. 

I always loved the America Cup sailing ships. The pride of my library is the Taglang & Chevalier « America Cup racers ». 15 pounds of America Cup history, drawings, pictures. Yes, you read it right : one book weighing (at last) 15 pounds … The Columbia was not described as such in the shop I bought it from, but there is no mistaking the magical pencil of Nathanael Herreshoff’s creations.

Hubert

• Like 6

More on the Tamiya Mk. IV........

Assembly is mostly done. Assembled the tracks today in no time !

Probably the easiest to assemble tracks out there; just "click" together

and I think they look good...needing no cleanup at all. 87 links per side,

but I may add another link to ease assembly. We'll see. Not sure how to paint these tracks yet. The instructions call out XF-84, Tamiya's "Dark Iron".

I think I'll use Tamiya's lacquer for this.....I think it's more durable. Also

on the ditching beam I used a razor saw to add some wood grain effect.

We'll see how convincing that looks after painting.

DSCN1838_kindlephoto-29450136.jpg

DSCN1836_kindlephoto-29394309.jpg

DSCN1839_kindlephoto-29480877.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

More on the Tamiya Mk. IV........

Assembly is mostly done. Assembled the tracks today in no time !

Probably the easiest to assemble tracks out there; just "click" together

and I think they look good...needing no cleanup at all. 87 links per side,

but I may add another link to ease assembly. We'll see. Not sure how to paint these tracks yet. The instructions call out XF-84, Tamiya's "Dark Iron".

I think I'll use Tamiya's lacquer for this.....I think it's more durable. Also

on the ditching beam I used a razor saw to add some wood grain effect.

We'll see how convincing that looks after painting.

DSCN1838_kindlephoto-29450136.jpg

DSCN1836_kindlephoto-29394309.jpg

DSCN1839_kindlephoto-29480877.jpg

Paul

Nice progress on the Tamiya Mk IV. Tracks look nicely detailed and nice to see they went together without any fuss.

:construction:

• Like 2

21 hours ago, HubertB said:

A big boat !

In spite of my bench being wide (5 Hobbyzone modules wide, so that’s 1.5 meters of « free » space, it’s pretty full with it :) …

i-gw8bdxF-600x450.jpg

Some time ago, I showed some pics of a model of « Columbia », the 1899 / 1901 winner of the America Cup. It is not my build, but a model, probably made in Mauritius, that I bought off-the-shelf some 23+ years ago. It is not a scale-model per se, with a somewhat « rustic » feeling in some areas, but the overall shape is accurate enough to make it an unmistakable reproduction of Columbia.

After some 10 or 11 moves in the same time-lapse, it was badly in need of a major careening : flaking paint on the hull, some rigging gone astray, some missing bits and pieces, the bowsprit which I had replaced a few years ago bending up under the jibs tension, etc. So I went through the restoration process. This was the last tick on the to-do list of the works in my (rebuilt) new house, so an important milestone for me: I have now a free mind to come back to modelling :piliot:! The idea was to keep the feeling of the model, and the unique features of the hand-made model.

The cracks and flakes in the paint were puttied, sanded and the above-waterline hull repainted in the original white that adorned Columbia (the underwater part was probably green, but again, this is not a true scale model …)

Some new brass fittings were made, especially by adding some cross-bars to keep the bowsprit straight and true, even though  they were not on the model in the beginning. My soldering skills are still not great, btw :( …

What a nice start to inaugurate the new cave, Hubert. The Columbia looks absolutely fantastic and from the small pictures, it is not visible, that it is not a real scale model. The place to display the beauty is also wonderful and I like the rigged sails.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2024 at 10:03 PM, BlrwestSiR said:

Here's the LUV.

PXL_20240708_020210125.thumb.jpg.37e39e4ee87f49d62b3e6d2f8f10308f.jpg

And here's the paint supervisor making sure there's at least a hair or two in the paint. 

PXL_20240708_020133425.thumb.jpg.6f14ae91c3df580e8fdd296f20b088dd.jpg

Is that her general opinion of things??

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Nice! Are those Friulmodel tracks?

Yes they are ....... the ones included in the kit were a little painful to work with ...... I ended up with a little too much much glue and then they were not flexible in some areas. I had a set of the Fruil in the stash. They are not bad to work with. Just have to drill and open the holes for the wire to slide in. I have used Fruil previously on a Merkava IV build and with that set, it was one wire per link. The way the Leopard Fruils tracks are designed, you insert a very short wire on each side of each link. 80 links per side X 2 wires each X 2 sides = 320 very short pieces of wire !!!!

On the home stretch of the assembling the tracks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scott_t said:

Yes they are ....... the ones included in the kit were a little painful to work with ...... I ended up with a little too much much glue and then they were not flexible in some areas. I had a set of the Fruil in the stash. They are not bad to work with. Just have to drill and open the holes for the wire to slide in. I have used Fruil previously on a Merkava IV build and with that set, it was one wire per link. The way the Leopard Fruils tracks are designed, you insert a very short wire on each side of each link. 80 links per side X 2 wires each X 2 sides = 320 very short pieces of wire !!!!

On the home stretch of the assembling the tracks.

I've used Friuls on my last three builds I think they're great. 

They have become more available here than they were in the past and in

they last months I've purchased a bunch for the kits in my stash. Most

recently I bought some for the type 95 Japanese tank.......Man, those links

are small! I found that my little Dspiae rotary tool thing speeds up

drilling the tracks. I have an adapter thing for this that allows it

to take small bits. I have yet to figure out a fast way to cut the

wires to length....I've been cutting them to length as I go.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

I take a 6-8 inch piece of wire and slice off 1/4 inch (6mm) lengths with an Xacto blade. Cutting that short because as I said, for this one you are putting a short piece of wire on each end of the link.

Tracks are now assembled ..... now have to paint, wash, dry brush, etc.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

I have had no issues ordering from Fruil directly. Just takes a little more time to get them delivered to the U.S.

• Like 2