Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

17 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

A look at the Tamiya Mk.IV I've been working on...

Got the decals and the clear on...not sure if I'll do any more. The color came

out a little lighter than I expected. Still got to attach the ditching beam. Didn't weather the tracks as , you may remember, Tamiya

put a motor in these . I will rub the tracks with graphite and then

clear flat.

DSCN1922_kindlephoto-2391126.jpg

DSCN1916_kindlephoto-2356168.jpg

DSCN1918_kindlephoto-2320317.jpg

Thats looking good , like and armoured hedgehog. 

Martin Kovac reckoned this was one of the best ever armour models to make , what's ya thoughts on that ? I fancied building one a couple of years ago and then forgot about them . The kit has got expensive since then sadly .  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

Thats looking good , like and armoured hedgehog. 

Martin Kovac reckoned this was one of the best ever armour models to make , what's ya thoughts on that ? I fancied building one a couple of years ago and then forgot about them . The kit has got expensive since then sadly .  

Check out Plaza Japan. It sells for about 30-something US dollars.

If you bundle a few items it makes shipping cost worthwhile.

Yes, it's a nice kit that goes together easily . I messed up the color

by mistakenly mixing buff instead of deck tan with flat earth as the

instructions stated. The only reason I got this was I saw it was on

the Plaza Japan website while I was buying other items. The $107.00

price on US online sites put me off for years! I recommend

the kit as a fun, easy, and quick build.

https://www.plazajapan.com/4950344300570/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

Check out Plaza Japan. It sells for about 30-something US dollars.

If you bundle a few items it makes shipping cost worthwhile.

Yes, it's a nice kit that goes together easily . I messed up the color

by mistakenly mixing buff instead of deck tan with flat earth as the

instructions stated. The only reason I got this was I saw it was on

the Plaza Japan website while I was buying other items. The $107.00

price on US online sites put me off for years! I recommend

the kit as a fun, easy, and quick build.

https://www.plazajapan.com/4950344300570/

Cheers works out about £55 which is not bad . 

• Like 2

Bit more progress on the Hitachi excavator. Arm has been painted and chipped - undercoat of dark rust, then two layers of chipping fluid after a layer of white then the final top coat of orange. Gives a nice appearance of some of the chips just going through to the undercoat rather than right through to the metal.

IMG_20240906_202027.thumb.jpg.d3eeba9227b6e04b693e3f33bf22d0b6.jpg

IMG_20240906_202035.thumb.jpg.7a2e09f6289e065e087aac65af7164e0.jpg

The chassis base is now assembled and has had a coat of primer since the photo was taken.

IMG_20240906_202107.thumb.jpg.70f9bcd5c890a7193c5f577e0a34d64c.jpg

• Like 7

• Not a lot of benchtime at the moment, the LRDG jeep cracks on. 0.5” robbed from a Eduard Sherman and some nice Resikit sand channels bought for the LRDG Chevy. Base coat on more to follow and a lot of weathering plus then loading of all equipment…….all wheels are detachable at the moment…..

IMG_8425.thumb.jpeg.e3d7f725f5a0b7600a3effff1630acc8.jpeg

• Like 8

Pulled this one out of the stash. 
IMG_2374.thumb.jpeg.62522fb7f6e742ff4062fc4100cf57d8.jpeg

Trying to figure out which Aleutian Tiger to build.  I’ve been holding onto these decals forever waiting on this day.  The Barracuda sheet is for an un-named pilots aircraft while the SSI set is for Major Chennaults aircraft. 
As you can see, one set has the small side tigers missing that goes with the sharks mouth   

IMG_2375.thumb.jpeg.667cf697d968c5a9095b85f8c6b3e495.jpeg

IMG_2376.thumb.jpeg.47504cf512274c901717d72bc80c167a.jpeg

The SSI set appears to have a larger cutout for the exhaust area.  Probably for the old Revell kit.  Also the yellows are different. SSI set is closer to insignia yellow, but both are going to require a drop of red to orange up the spinner paint a touch.  
Eventually I’ll probably build both, but for now one will do.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Scott

Nice decision for some serious bench time :popcorn:

Yea, unfortunately I cannot start on it for a while.  Tomorrow is booked with Dr.’s appointments and we leave for Virginia on Wednesday for our sons graduation from Captains Career school.  I did spend a little time today reading over the instructions.  

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

I did spend a little time today reading over the instructions.

Heathen!! 

Next thing you're going to say is you follow them!! 

If you said destructions i would have let it slide. 

On a more serious note, I haven't had a chance to make it to the post office with the K tail. Hopefully tomorrow.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Heathen!! 

Next thing you're going to say is you follow them!! 

If you said destructions i would have let it slide. 

On a more serious note, I haven't had a chance to make it to the post office with the K tail. Hopefully tomorrow.

I’m looking forward to see how this all pans out.  Could be a win-win for everyone that loves P-40’s. 
Edit: follow them?  Meh…I read up so I can rewrite them! 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2024 at 8:13 PM, ScottsGT said:

Yea, unfortunately I cannot start on it for a while.  Tomorrow is booked with Dr.’s appointments and we leave for Virginia on Wednesday for our sons graduation from Captains Career school.  I did spend a little time today reading over the instructions.  

Scott

Read instructions - that's only for rookies! But maybe if I did, I might avoid a lot of the pitfalls I always seem to find.

• Haha 2

Bit more progress on the Hitachi excavator. Got the chassis painted and chipped - looks a bit OTT at the moment but once it's weathered I'm hoping it'll be fine.

IMG_20240912_123055.thumb.jpg.758b36fd4bd15d9009a285d77b0f0675.jpg

Also started on assembling the main body. Needs 30g in the rear according to the instructions to counterbalance the arm, so this old barrel connector from a scrapped scanner at work was just the job. Glued in with 5 minute epoxy just to make sure it doesn't rattle about later on.

IMG_20240912_123024.thumb.jpg.b744e0c796e21491bd86f594c7117975.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GusMac said:

Bit more progress on the Hitachi excavator. Got the chassis painted and chipped - looks a bit OTT at the moment but once it's weathered I'm hoping it'll be fine.

IMG_20240912_123055.thumb.jpg.758b36fd4bd15d9009a285d77b0f0675.jpg

Also started on assembling the main body. Needs 30g in the rear according to the instructions to counterbalance the arm, so this old barrel connector from a scrapped scanner at work was just the job. Glued in with 5 minute epoxy just to make sure it doesn't rattle about later on.

IMG_20240912_123024.thumb.jpg.b744e0c796e21491bd86f594c7117975.jpg

Try using some drybrush silver to chassis then filter and dirt. Will be excellent for sure👍

• Thanks 1

Sad post time.  😢

I spent the past few days out of town thinking of everything I must get done before surgery hopefully in early November.  
I’ve decided that I needed to pack up the P-40 for now and step away from the bench and get a few projects done. 
My bench until I’m on the road to recovery…..

IMG_2414.thumb.jpeg.1682348eb8f3f1c7891ae77613ec0ad2.jpeg

So basically I’m looking at surgery 6 weeks out from now, maybe 7.  I’m not going to pretend to be John and knock a kit out before then.  
We have two cruises scheduled before then, I still need to hang the new 65” TV we bought a few months back on sale, fall yard project that need to be done before I’m down and out, boat maintenance needed and the waverunner needs to come out and get stored away for winter. 
And I haven’t even mentioned that I’m starting PT Tuesday, MRI later this week, follow up pre surgery appointments, possible steroid injections…see where this is going?  
I’ll still be hanging out here harassing those that get out of line and trying to egg on others to be bad too.  But no glue sniffing for a while.  

• Like 5

Scott, that's a spooky looking bench. Unnatural almost.

But for a good reason. Get through the cruises and the doctor stuff. Just make sure none of them have a phone# that's 1-800-DOCTORB (the B is for Bargain!).:lol:

• Haha 5

I remember being almost a kid but yet an adult looking up to the older docs as knowledgeable and experienced.  They were always older than me. 
Now I’m looking at this young guy that’s about to go inside my body and fix things and I keep telling myself I’m glad I don’t have some old guy set in his ways doing this procedure like it was 1989 still.  
He’s talking about all of the technology they use to see things while they work and it reminds me of a soldier in the field using night vision.  

• Like 3

Scott

The right decisions are the toughest and you've made them. Just stay the course and you'll be good top go and back at the bench. pain free faster then you think. So glad you will be still hanging out with us and checking in on our doings.:popcorn:

Mark

Nice to see you jumping in on the GWH Flanker - their kits are great. I built their P-40 and after the GB, will be back on their A-10C.

Looking forward to following your progress and I'll be along for the ride. :popcorn: