The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RR Spey powered RAF Phantom conversion

Beautiful Cees!  

Do your printed tailpipes fit ok?  I think they work for the Revell kit maybe, but they are too small for Tamiya.  The outlet dia should be 30mm but the base is 30, making the outlet too small.

I wonder if I can get one scaled up a wee bit or borrow the STL file for my mate to print a larger one??

@Jeroenveen1 was it you that did the file?

EDIT, sorry @JeroenPeters it was....sorry

Anyway, great work all round chaps.  Cees, I have a feeling I might want to do a cammo one when I see yours finished!!

Cheers Anthony

• Like 3

Aaaah but this is where all those details really add to your finished model.  

Yours is looking amazing...I only hope I can finish mine and not get too bogged down.  I really look forward to each update.

Are they Skyflash missiles for the belly?  Where did you get them?  Or are they converted sparrows (not that I can tell the differences

Cheers Anthony

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JeroenPeters said:

Lovely. I hate spraying white almost as much as i hate yellow but this looks good!

Yes me too, yes it really does look good!  I must catch up about upscaling the Spey cans you did as they are too small for the Tamiya back end, but work for the Revell one.  Thanks for doing them by the way!

Cheers Anthony

• Like 1

Oh right....I trying to see what you didnt see coming and couldnt figure it out.

I would trim the missiles down or put the blue ballast ones in the front wells only.  From what I understand they were only ever fitted if no missiles were carried on the belly at all.  I could have gotten that wrong of course as I havent got to this point in mine yet.  But trim them down would be the best option at this point.

I never saw that coming either!

• Like 2

Ah I thought they were some sort of elint devices but now you mention that it's a balance thing. I can use that or check the Tamiya ones first. I haven't put any decals on yet so nothing to worry about when I shorten the things with my trusty hungry razorsaw.

Ordnance comes in last so I will make sure to finish the decalling first (those hmm checquers) and then assemble the airframe, after weathering the ordnance will be fitted last.

That's the plan Fran.....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has still been made but not interesting enough to post. I did put off the chequers but using solid decal didn’t work so painting is the only option. Masking off for the yellow base. Afterwards red squares will be masked off. If this works then we are really on the homestretch.

Happy Christmas to you all!

246CC699-5E5D-4841-9AC4-509D137C9010.jpeg

0C7F9170-A018-42D0-8261-72C9E4DC3C78.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1