Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Academy Sufa

As I slowly creep towards completion of the Bardahl Mustang,  I started contemplating the next build.  I fondled my Wingnut Dh2, Special Hobby Tempest, and Fisher Panther, but ultimately felt the pull in a different direction.   I've been wanting a jet to haul around to some contest since I tend to live in the prop world lately and this kit has been pulling on me since it arrived.   I decided to go with the Academy F-16I Sufa.  I got this from Peter awhile back for an amazing deal and was absolutely shocked with how much stuff came with it.  Wolfpack cockpit, Aires wheel well, Wheeliant wheels, Wolfpack exterior set, Isracast bombs, and I've added the Zacto intake.  I am tremendously excited about this build and I'll start work on the cockpit while the Mustang dries.  So far, I'm blown away by the fit of the resin cockpit.  The hope is to have it ready for Nationals in San Marcos, but that will be a tight window.

20190704_180132.jpg

20190704_173906.jpg

20190704_180155.jpg

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Funny, I just got the AFV Club version of that kit.  I was deciding between Israeli and Polish.

Now it’s simple... the Poles for the win.

Pulling up a chair here.

This Pole votes for Pole.

• Like 4

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

This Pole votes for Pole.

And I’ll be following your build closely. I’ve built exactly one jet in a whole bunch of years, and that was earlier this year for a friend.

So a Pole opened a poll to build a Pole.  Hmmmmm

• Like 3

I'm glad you guys are joining in.  I figured this wouldn't get much interest actually.   I started on prepping the upper fuselage parts.  I joined the spine halves and trimmed the conformal fuel tanks. Fit certainly isnt Tamiya, but it's not too bad really.  A little squeezing and some Mr Surfacer should leave a good result up top.  Tomorrow is paint the Mustang day then while it dries I'll come back to this.  

20190706_181655.jpg

• Like 3

Started working in cleaning the spine and rescribing lost areas.  I also installed the gun port and started to work in cleaning it up.  To me, the spine and conformal tanks are stand out features of the "Sufa" look so I'm really trying to make sure if get those looking clean.  I also started to clean up the Zacto intakes.  These are absolutely beautifully crafted parts.

20190709_111908.jpg

20190709_112154.jpg

• Like 4

• Administrators

Martin asked me not to share this, so...

Here are a few very rare pictures of his personal Soviet era archive with him at work researching aircraft for builds and a picture of his office the Workers Party Research Directive

2B41982C-FF73-461E-9452-F2E5F33574A8.jpeg

43ACC8B9-BE0C-4961-BDB0-EC416257B2CD.jpeg

• Like 4