The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Relationship Trumpeter & Hobby boss?

They are both retail brands of Huihuang Electric Appliance Co., Ltd in China. I believe Trumpeter is the primary outlet for HEA but both companies have slightly different things they focus on although IMO it is getting harder to tell them apart lately.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ern, I think it's

"H-wee H-wong" with a half gutteral "H" like the French put in front of 'Renault' only not as emphasised.

I deliver to a Mr. Huang and he's never corrected me. Hope I'm not insulting him

• Like 4

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, Artful69 said:

:D ...:rofl::rofl:

ok ... I’m being juvenile ... but also not giving a rolling rats rear end!!

Rog :)

Hehehe. I know. I asked it in all seriousness, but with a wee bit of biting my lower lip to keep the incipient smile at bay.

But remember Rog, we can’t benupright and serious 100% of the time. 

• Like 4

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Wumm said:

Ern, I think it's

"H-wee H-wong" with a half gutteral "H" like the French put in front of 'Renault' only not as emphasised.

I deliver to a Mr. Huang and he's never corrected me. Hope I'm not insulting him

Despite the obvious comedy here, my question was semi serious, because I didn't honestly know. We have all the stuff in the news these days about “Wah Way” and it spells nothing like it sounds to a halfwit Yank like me.

Im now just nicely understanding Korean pronunciations... 

• Like 3

• Administrators

But back to the serious topic at hand.  For those who know, is there any reason why Huihuang keeps two separate trade names?   I see little to no real differentiation between the two. The B-24 was a Grail kit of mine, so with the obvious let down, it just seems so “Trumpeter” to me, if that makes sense.

But I’m going to build one or two, guaranteed, and take a stab at Iain Ogilvie’s brilliant repair if it pans out.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

The B-24 was a Grail kit of mine, so with the obvious let down, it just seems so “Trumpeter” to me, if that makes sense.

But I’m going to build one or two, guaranteed, and take a stab at Iain Ogilvie’s brilliant repair if it pans out.

As you can see ... my kit arrived last week. I watched on the sidelines while reviewers tore the kit to shreds months ago ... But the B.24 was on my "to get list" so I was excited to see one, no matter who made it. I think it makes for terrific bang-for-buck.

I may or may not alter that wing according to Iains clever guide ... but I will swap the wheels out ... brass barrels are always a must too. The engines are buried way back inside the cowl so no need for Zoukei-Mura like detail in the kit ... If you want to chop up a cowl for a mechanical service dio' - I'm sure Eduard will provide the necessary AM at some point ... and ...

My turrets are clear :D

Rog :)

• Like 7

• Administrators

Awesome news Rog!   Here in the USA, we need to order ours from Hannants or similar, as Squadron somehow set the domestic price Nationwide at $250.00. Hannants allows us to land them at our door for about $175.00. 

Iain’s wing fix is brilliant, and once I’ve finished the Lancastrian and B-36, I’ll certainly give it a go.  There have been several truly monumental builds from the box stock kit, which gives me hope. :)

• Like 5

Mandarin is tonal whereas Cantonese is not. So depending on your inflection, you could be talking about a horse or you mom.  Which can make for interesting conversations if you're not careful.:D

To really screw things up, the way Chinese is translated phonetically into English has had different formats used. One uses the Cyrillic alphabet (!).

Cantonese used to be much more prevalent outside China up to the late '90s but Mandarin has taken over. Not a surprise really as Cantonese is a regional dialect while Mandarin is the national one.  

My grandfather spoke Shanghainese which was similar enough to Mandarin I would reply to him in Mandarin even if I only understood about 75% of what he was telling me..:banned:

Although I was born in Canada, the first language I learned was Mandarin. Oddly enough, when I was in Taiwan for a year of university most of the locals thought my Mandarin was excellent for someone from Hong Kong as I apparently had a Hong Kong accent on my Mandarin. Must have been from growing up saying "aboot" and "ruf" all the time, eh?

Carl

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Carl, and I always heard English was har to learn! 

Yikes!

That's just speaking it Ernie. Learning to read Chinese is on a whole different level. 

Speaking of written Chinese, the Japanese for the longest time didn't have a written language of their own so they started with Chinese characters (keeping the same meaning thankfully) and built off of that. So if you can read Chinese, you can also read a bit of Japanese. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
55 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Mines coming from Lucky Model. Hard to say no to something that big for $115 shipped. That's with their surface option but I'm in no rush. It's not like there isn't anything on my bench at the moment. 

hahahahaha   

"It's not like there isn't anything on my bench at the moment". 

That, my friend, is the absolute Mother of All Understatements.  (as I look at the latest, greatest picture of Carl's bench)

• Like 3

On 8/26/2019 at 11:06 PM, BlrwestSiR said:

To really screw things up, the way Chinese is translated phonetically into English has had different formats used. One uses the Cyrillic alphabet (!).

I am finding more often that new arrivals to the Country are taking on English first names. This helps in work and social situations, but can also be problematic... I was delivering once to a "Susan", but her elderly Chinese Mother who was home and spoke no English didn't know who this Susan was who was living with her!

It can also bite you in the Butt in other ways... 

IMG_20190903_081659.thumb.jpg.eeb5d0886ca630c2c01270534b56ab70.jpg

Trying to work out how to get my mouth around this pronunciation!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wumm said:

I am finding more often that new arrivals to the Country are taking on English first names. This helps in work and social situations, but can also be problematic... I was delivering once to a "Susan", but her elderly Chinese Mother who was home and spoke no English didn't know who this Susan was who was living with her!

It can also bite you in the Butt in other ways... 

IMG_20190903_081659.thumb.jpg.eeb5d0886ca630c2c01270534b56ab70.jpg

Trying to work out how to get my mouth around this pronunciation!

The last name would be pronounced Chew. Why they couldn't just use that, I have no idea. 

As for English first names, my parents gave me one when I was born in Canada to go with my Chinese name. But, they left it off my birth certificate for some reason. So although my passport has my full name on it, my birth certificate and driver's license don't. Which makes things all sorts of fun when people are checking my ID. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The last name would be pronounced Chew. Why they couldn't just use that, I have no idea.

So, you'd be okay being named Fanny Chew?

To put it in a different perspective, my wife once had a friend who was expecting her first child which she thought was to be a girl. Her top pick for a name was Aleek.

I put a stop to that when I said, "So, when she gets married the priest is going to turn to the groom and ask if he takes a leak as his wedded wife".

• Like 1