Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Arado 234 Nachtigall on Speed

After all that grinding, cutting and sanding, it was about time for some finer works. I continued with the cockpit, where I added the Yahu dials and bezels to the side consoles. The instruments were then treated with Revell contacta clear, not only for clarity, which was given on the Yahu instruments, but to secure the bezels as well, which tended to pretend, they are food for the carpet monster sometimes.
The instruments got a 0,3 mm lead wire glued in on the backside, which then were painted with a drop of titanium gold for the connector and yellow for the cable itself.

Cheers Rob

On the pic the consoles are only dryfitted. They need some cleanup and some more detail painting as well, but it's good enough for a first impression.

IMG_9430.thumb.JPG.6ac83bac620d3e70bcac17b82da41b60.JPG

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Great looking pit! Are the decals you used included in the kit? 

35 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Fantastic looking cockpit Rob. The placards add a nice touch. 

Muchas gracias Amigos, the placards are from the kit and from Airscale. When I remember it right, it's the first time, I used some in a German plane, because normally not a lot is visible under the canopy, here, it's quite different.
The kit supplied decal sheet is very extensive and of good quality, hopefully for the large markings too.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Brilliant detail work on the front office. Details are crisp and clear and oh, those seat belts 👍

2 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Perfect looking pit, Rob

Thank you fellas, the resin parts for the cockpit and operator area are among the best, I've ever seen. Sharp detail and perfect fit. Opposite to the plastic they are absolutely flawless and to me that's what always motivates me while working on the shortcomings of the kit.
Is there another kit out there with that kind of glass house, where you wouldn't buy some extras for detailing.
OK, I did with the Yahu instruments and the HGW belts, but with the supplied PE belts and decals for the instruments, you can build that area easily oob.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Today, I glued the lower non clear section of the canopy to the fuselage, which needed some fixation, before the glue settled, because the used plastic is way thinner, than that of the fuselage. I then added first the side consoles, then the left and right wall section and then the devices onto them. with that order, I ensued, that everything fits well into the tub.
I did some more detail painting and highlighting and then glued the PE front in place. On the pictures, the pit looks dusty and I don't know why, because there is no visible dust there, but there are still some areas for touch ups, after all has cured.

Cheers Rob

IMG_9431.thumb.JPG.5a510b899fd9e9d8837a00f7c53f1b89.JPG

IMG_9433.thumb.JPG.7702f2fd4236668f1ab1099c42237007.JPG

IMG_9436.thumb.JPG.b165961771bb11660aa4b01fad26c101.JPG

IMG_9437.thumb.JPG.56bdd0d474a8d1e48f2f28ceb7f73af5.JPG

IMG_9439.thumb.JPG.e91301601a20da65d494ec31750beecf.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Very nicely done there Rob. It does bring back memories of working on mine. 

19 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Great looking pit Rob. And much of it will be visible in the end!

15 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Awesome looking front office ... some mighty nice, precision work.

Gracias hombres, the kit's front and back office are an invitation, to do something good with it. Now the real fun begins with the IP in the glasshouse, which will be challenging, along with an error I made in the beginning of the build. Fingers crossed for that critical section.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

The cockpit looks great, Rob!  Should look great, covered, too.

Lets hope so, I spent some hours to find the best way, to mask the glasshouse and try to figure the best way to add the IP, antennas and other bits to it. 

Cheers Rob 

Rob, with the canopy on mine I glued it on a section at a time to make sure it lined up correctly. 

I found the rest of the pics from my  build in my old Photobucket account. I'm trying to figure out how I can download them but may not succeed. 

This link will take you to it so you can see the pics there. Hopefully they'll be of some use to you.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/FG2Si/a/a9225881-37ab-42cf-93f2-f4ab099afb00

Carl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for giving me access to your pics Carl. I did a fast scan and found some interesting elements.
I thought the same as you did, beginning to apply the underside of the canopy first, with it's installations and then move to the upper part. 
Where I thought of progressing differently, is the placing of the IP, which I took from my sources as suited a bit higher in the upper canopy part, but will recheck. To do it your way is a bit simpler and may I change my mind. 

I have to consider the antennas with their struts of course, which doesn't make the whole assembly any easier. The placement of the struts inside the cockpit is a bit vague to say the least. I decided to take the typical 'poco a poco' approach for this delicate section, taking my time and working step by step.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

It has been a while, since I was working on the Nachtigall, but the kit, resting on the shelf was never forgotten. I need all my cojones to continue with it and after finishing some builds lately, I initially wanted to start the 1/32 HKM Do-335 B2, but then remembered the Arado. I love planes that may look quirky, but are so much ahead of their time engineering- and design wise, that they immediately attract me, the unusual the better. The Arado even beats the Pfeil in that subjective category and now, I hope I can pull the build through, having most of the difficult work already done.

After evaluating, what I had done, re-reading my thread to catch up, I wanted to close the canopy now and started to add detail to the cockpit and bezeled and wired the instrument panel with the Yahu PE parts, which are cleverly done. The manual calls for 1mm pre drilling, where the dials should go and the backside of the dials has a protrusion, to place them. The bezels have a little nub for aiding the placement, which has it's counterpart on the dial. This way, you can be sure, the instruments are orientated correct.

P1000557.thumb.JPG.747e0839d625f934978864d61ba4f4f0.JPG

P1000563.thumb.JPG.7eea99ac85c3b95337676bf90302d5ac.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, KevinM said:

That looks Good Rob but the thread opens another question "where the Heck is Kai?":dontknow:

32 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Glad to see this one back in business.  As before, the pit looks wonderful.  I agree, the Arado is a fascinating machine.

Thank you Kevin and Gary, I hope I can finish the Nachtigall this time. It's one of those kits, throwing a lot of trouble your way, but is somehow rewarding on the other hand. Closing the canopy is most critical, as there are many paarts to glue into the clear parts while closing, making it really hard to align everything.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

Rob

YES So glad the juices and desire to pick up the Nachtigall again are flowing at high speed. Very nice start on detailing the rear of the panel and once the 'canopy is closed up, the balance of the build will hopefully downhill and picking up speed.

I did try a while ago to reach out to Kai by PM but no response. Gaz did say he was in contact with Kai and all is well but that's all I know. Wish he would stop by from time to time and same with Wolf.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Rob, has it been that long since the last update, looking forward to more progress……

Indeed Phil, I'm a bit of a coward, when it comes to the canopy. You have to add structural parts, IP and IP framing, the antennae posts and some levers and instruments into the clear parts. Yesterday, I did a bit of test fitting and after some minutes, there was a bunch of parts cluttered on my desk, ready to be puzzled again.

Cheers Rob

• Haha 1