Welcome to Large Scale Modeller: The home of the large scale military model builder. 

Jackster

Airfix 1/48 Lightning F1 111 Sqn

Just cleared this from my workbench, my fourth model since returning to modelling. Learnt a lot from this one, first use of a airbrush, a Flory wash. Kit is straight out of the box apart from 111 Sqn decals and added details to the ejection seat.

IMG_4668.thumb.jpeg.ba50eb87f3f5f707d00a91c74ba0e715.jpeg

IMG_4669.thumb.jpeg.1a10ba9df8c9b4a3034258fceb000d6b.jpeg

IMG_4670.thumb.jpeg.d4d99a79de3b888e3380919df4810290.jpeg

IMG_4671.thumb.jpeg.da90216254244eff8d23367f396ade93.jpeg

IMG_4674.thumb.jpeg.517ca4f014f6472d4a09897ac56964c6.jpeg

Cheers

Kev

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Nice Lightning Kev, I always liked the design of the bird, which put brute force and some elegance in a very attractive frame. You did this appearance great justice with that cool NMF look.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

I’m a pure prop guy but some jets I do like such as the Lightning. Looks great, well done.

Cheers

Ceed

• Like 4

Nice finish. I remember those as my uncle was an AC2 at Leuchars in the 70s. They made one hell of a racket!

• Like 4

Cool. I remember building a 1/48 Lightning F1a ... some 25 years ago. It was an ID model vac-form. I was very proud of it, and then my children thought it was a cool toy too, to go flying around the house 'Whoooooooooooooshhhhh !" :)

Hubert

• Like 3

They do, and despite their typically British ungainly design, they somehow looked cool (at least until they got pregnant - and useful at last - with the big tank).

As for the kit:

1) This is life when you have young children at home

2) I should have stored them better if I wanted to keep them longer

3) it was just an advanced call on their ultimate fate. Until recently, and my new wife, I was binning the finished kits after some time. It was a way of keeping some free shelf space, and also a reflection that I was more interested in the building process than the finished kit ;)

Nice work again on that icon of Britishness.

Hubert

• Like 5