The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Another Ft build.

Crap, you did it before I had a chance to tell you, you can mask with silly putty or blue-tac. It gives you a much smaller feathered edge, similar to the wood masks that were used back then. I used it when I want a hard line, but with a tiny bit of a softness to it. I think it gives a good scale effect. All you have to do is roll it to a snake on your mat, then stick it down to the model. It’s a good way to mask over hatches, rivets, etc. (note: I use white tac, same but white color).

i never thought to take any pictures when I am using it for masking, but here are a few pictures I found on the web.

B60DBAFF-31BA-456E-AA39-2286B1E7C514.jpeg

2DFC8633-D362-47B5-92C7-728908711620.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Harv, work from dark to light.

If this is a the darkest you want to go, switch over to lighter color pigments or paint and flick the color on to it with a tooth brush.

Practice of course, but you'll have great fun doing it.

PS, you may even want to flick some same color paint first to better transition to the lighter dried mud effect.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Harv, think of it like this....picture a dirty rainbow with the inside edge of the rainbow being wet or dark mud..and last or outside portion of our dirt rainbow as light dry dust. The color range of the rainbow is a gradual decrease in the bottom color of the mud until you get to the very top...dust.

The smallest particles of dirt is dust, to simulate this you see armor guys (me included) spray a thin veil of Buff or Dust color first. This this the broadest range of color you can start with (all other colors will fall within this dust boundary). after that you can go with the darkest color and just like our dirty rainbow apply it via stippling to the lower surfaces.

The magic happens with the mid color between dark mud and light dust, this is flicked onto the model to give a smooth transition from dark to light.

I hope this makes sense I was struggling with the "dirty rainbow" imagery. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's all about personal preference, I like my armor to look like it was in dirt at some point but then went over roads for a period of time. I think I achieved that with the T26 above.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, harv said:

And what is this? And Ryan, I kind of understand........harv

Exactly as stated , you can search the suppliers. The flicking is good , and I set my airbrush to splatter as well.

Lots of ways to do things.

If I was you I would go back in with a wet brush and remove what you have applied. There will be a stain from it , that will bea good start.

Then go on youtube and watch a few vids , pick one you think you can do and ffsake have some fun with it!

WW! muddy!?

IMG-0045.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

Harv, you made me do it. I ordered an FT for myself.

Great ! Cant wait to see what you do with it !.....harv

• Like 2

Two suggestions, if you don't mind my input , this vehicle was not fast, I mean it was literally .... snail pace slow . So easy with some "talkfest" splatters. And the best thing to mimic dirt is to use as guide a real time machinery (logging tracks, bulldozers). Often less is more.excavator-tracks-n6ab.jpg?width=1024&heiexcavator-dirty-track-close-up-old-tract

img.axd?id=6026532811&wid=4326159703&rwl

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1