The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

advice needed - painting engines on a flanker

npb748r

I have my new flanker kit - it's massive and doesn't look too complicated. I'm hoping some of you can give me some advice though as in all of my decades of kit building this will be the first for me where the engine covers remain unpainted.  I just wondered what the best approach to painting the engines are and how you get those colourful blue (I assume) heat stains randomly across the covers.  Understanding how those of you have mastered this aspect of painting would be appreciated, how you do it, paints and colours used, etc and if you use any additional weathering products.  I have to say, I am slightly shocked that in 50 years of modelling I've not built an aircraft with this characteristic before.  

thanks in advance for any suggestions or pointers.

neil   

• Like 2

The hard way is to airbrush a few clear colors on it, you can get clear colors from Tamiya and MRP to name a few, however, the easiest way is to us Tamiya weathering powders, they make one set that has metallic blue, red, and smoke, perfect for heat staining engines.

Tamiya 
Weathering Set D Burnt,Red,Oil

C827CAC7-759E-4B25-8551-3CBBB244E328.jpeg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

The hard way is to airbrush a few clear colors on it, you can get clear colors from Tamiya and MRP to name a few, however, the easiest way is to us Tamiya weathering powders, they make one set that has metallic blue, red, and smoke, perfect for heat staining engines.

Tamiya 
Weathering Set D Burnt,Red,Oil

C827CAC7-759E-4B25-8551-3CBBB244E328.jpeg

2 hours ago, Sir Desmond Glazebrook said:

Go to an art store and buy a complete set of pastel chalk. There are colour mixing guides online. You will save LOADS of cash. IMHO Modelling companies selling tiny grams of powder top dollar are ripping customers off. It is criminal.

Pastel mixing guide.

:thumbsup2:

The question is : does this cost more or less than an eye make-up set ? This looks awfully like my wife's ...

Most likely, women are even more ripped-off than modellers ;)

Hubert

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I like to use metal Colours first, depending on the area of the jet, aluminum, jet exhaust, titanium or others.
Last week I sprayed the burner cans of my Mig-31 and used Jet exhaust as a base, pale burnt metal foe highlighting (AK-Extreme Metal) and then some Clear dark blue (also AK) to get the tint.
There will be further treatment with washes and pigments but this method works for me.

BTW:: These Colours are an Indicator of the amount of heat, depending on the used metal. They spread from yellow to blue-black depending on the temperature on the given spot. I think the English word for this effect is annealing Colours, but I'm not sure.

Cheers Rob

IMG_6803.thumb.JPG.a7e123ad9f6eddae9263bc85e223d1da.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

I believe the term is heat staining, I believe annealing is when you apply heat to change the properties of metal, like hardness and malleability.

I'm sure you are right here , due to my time in university and as as a former engineer, I now a lot about metals but unfortunately mostly in German language :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

I believe the term is heat staining, I believe annealing is when you apply heat to change the properties of metal, like hardness and malleability. 

Annealing will also change the colour of certain metals, particularly titanium. Quite often used for jewellery such as earrings.

An old friend of mine was the chief jewellery technician at our local art college and told a great story of a student who came back one summer thinking he'd got a great deal on a load of cheap titanium for making stuff. Turned out it was useless as it was 'aviation grade' and was treated in some way that meant you could do what you liked to it but it wasn't going to change in any way!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

Correct.

I know a bit about heating metal. I am a fully qualified industrial blacksmith. I used to make large hooks for cranes. Terrible job. The furnace is 2600 C° and we worked the metal at 1900 C°. Our tongs were 1 meter in length. Completed my apprenticeship at 18, and never worked a day at it since. Drumming was way less hot.

:D

• Like 5