The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

H 34

I went to a club meeting this Saturday and I was lucky to meet someone who drove the same truck in the Army .  He said that they usually have way more gear  in the truck as well as driving theirs without the canopy on I. i am building  the frame  and will decide if I use it or not.  The armor modelers also told me they usually don't prime their models because they don't want to have extra coats of paints on their models.  
Oliver

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Oliver

WOW, the ground works look great. How did you make it - you must have been a model railroader before scale modeling as the dio base looks so good.

?

Not mine, it's from ammo. Will try to duplicate it the best I know how.

• Like 2

Wouldn’t it be linked to the specific situation (and therefore the helo markings) you are depicting ?

An Alaskan helo would justify a closed canopy more than a Hawaian one for instance, or a GB vs Spain one …

Both look excellent anyway, and, situation notwithstanding, the open frame shows the cabin detailing much better.

Just my :2c:

Hubert

• Like 5

9 hours ago, HubertB said:

Wouldn’t it be linked to the specific situation (and therefore the helo markings) you are depicting ?

An Alaskan helo would justify a closed canopy more than a Hawaian one for instance, or a GB vs Spain one …

Both look excellent anyway, and, situation notwithstanding, the open frame shows the cabin detailing much better.

Just my :2c:

Hubert

I didn't think about markings, good point since the helo is Navy and the truck Army. 

295DDB26-E753-4C0E-9091-2B64F83AADAD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not having much luck with AK paint.

so far not impressed.

Doesn't work with thinner and 50% water diluted has very little coverage.  I need to play around with the thinning ratio and airbrush pressure a bit. I am being told that AK paints are as tricky to apply as LIFECOLORS paints. 

6D8B976D-2F15-4753-AE7A-42586A7CCAF7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Oliver

Wish I could help out, but the AK Acrylics is one paint I haven't used. I am a big fan of AK Real Colors which is an acrylic lacquer, pretty much the as Tamiya acrylics. 

For the acrylics I do use, Mig and Model Air, I exclusively use their thinners as their instructions call for. I've never had any luck thinning with water and when it comes to model air, I have a dedicated air brush for it as it doesn't like any other thinner and will turn to much if the wrong thinner is used.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Oliver

Wish I could help out, but the AK Acrylics is one paint I haven't used. I am a big fan of AK Real Colors which is an acrylic lacquer, pretty much the as Tamiya acrylics. 

For the acrylics I do use, Mig and Model Air, I exclusively use their thinners as their instructions call for. I've never had any luck thinning with water and when it comes to model air, I have a dedicated air brush for it as it doesn't like any other thinner and will turn to much if the wrong thinner is used.

Yeah I am reading in AK paints right now, not a great track record so far. I am gonna try their thinner, if that doesn't work I will go to plan B.

a lot of priming done today. I am gonna give it a few days to dry since I used  Acrylic polyurethane primer. I need to turn everything over and prime the bottom of many pieces. 
 Painted the engine but so little is seen of it once installed.

CE480163-B873-406A-B359-43DC743088D6.jpeg

C05CBAAD-0538-4601-A08A-8E4124652F36.jpeg

E726D2BD-1D06-4E95-806A-4687FC409B64.jpeg

DF069BBE-3A62-42DB-AC3C-04D2989BC71A.jpeg

BC20FF53-79F4-4C9B-B7C3-1610245B771D.jpeg

49352D5A-67AB-4993-ADAA-8EB1775C98E5.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Priming continues. I have purchased other  OD green colors from other companies. I got the thinner for the AK paints after reading and watching many videos, it works better at very low setting on the airbrush as you can see in the palette however the coverage of AK is very poor in my opinion.  I really don't want an uphill battle with the paint that's for sure.  

8905C506-9089-488D-8965-15F1D5E12771.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oliver

Nice work on resolving the primer issue. The Model Air/Vallejo OD actually looks pretty good on my monitor and not too greenish, but the final verdict is how it looks 1:1. I have a zillion bottle of OD paint myself and not one is actually the same shade. Just go with your best feeling as colors and paint can drive you crazy.

• Like 1