Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Share how COVID-19 Quarantine has affected you.

1to1scale

To me the argument isnt, "is covid real or bad, etc..."   The argument is the need to balance decisions based on the multitude of factors involved.   Dr Dave's position makes sense.  He's a doctor his goal is to save those lives that are in immediate danger.   Same with Fauci, the goal being sabe as many lives as possible from covid.  That's easy, just lockdown.   No contact, no spread, problem solved.  The larger issue is how those decisions have a ripple effect.   Lockdowns are destroying the economy, and therefore people's ability to support themselves and their families. Its causing rampant mental health issues related to stress, loneliness, and anxiety.  Its causing health issues in those already dealing with pre existing conditions because they cant get to their appointments to handle their medical needs. A failure to make decisions without considering ALL these variables and just locking down to save a few lives now will cost us so much more later.  Live normal, with some increased safety measures.  Find the most risk based population and work towards supporting them through this while the rest of the population keeps the world turning.        

This is merely the opinion of this dumb plastic mangler.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TJTX said:

To me the argument isnt, "is covid real or bad, etc..."   The argument is the need to balance decisions based on the multitude of factors involved.   Dr Dave's position makes sense.  He's a doctor his goal is to save those lives that are in immediate danger.   Same with Fauci, the goal being sabe as many lives as possible from covid.  That's easy, just lockdown.   No contact, no spread, problem solved.  The larger issue is how those decisions have a ripple effect.   Lockdowns are destroying the economy, and therefore people's ability to support themselves and their families. Its causing rampant mental health issues related to stress, loneliness, and anxiety.  Its causing health issues in those already dealing with pre existing conditions because they cant get to their appointments to handle their medical needs. A failure to make decisions without considering ALL these variables and just locking down to save a few lives now will cost us so much more later.  Live normal, with some increased safety measures.  Find the most risk based population and work towards supporting them through this while the rest of the population keeps the world turning.        

This is merely the opinion of this dumb plastic mangler.   

It's also the opinion of a lot of medical professionals who are being ignored by governments. The world leaders are so fixated on the 'Zero Deaths' solution, which is an impossibility, that they hang onto in the hopes it will all be justified in the end.

http://www.bgdeclaration.org

• Like 1

It’s not about zero deaths, it’s about the prevention of ICUs being overwhelmed. That is what will happen without controls and I absolutely believe the lockdown turned off surge one just before we were overwhelmed in the UK. Just in time. 
these

These patients take about 10-28 days of ICU care.  It takes 28 days to die after Covid strikes. You can reckon on about 1% of cases being ill enough to potentially need ICU. Some cities currently have 600+ per 100,000 in England.
My city has 24 beds and could flex Conceivably.to 50 with hazards in an emergency. That’s for 600,000 citizens.  
Then there’s staff attrition and isolation.

Even the German and US systems could not deal with these numbers without attempts to flatten the curve. 

Do not belittle the danger of this pandemic. That is dangerous.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

So....   we babysat our granddaughter this weekend.  She was producing as much snot as any kid can with coughing and sneezing.  It's been this way ever since she started going to daycare. 

Anyway...I started feeling the symptoms yesterday afternoon, and by bedtime I felt like total shit.  Coughing...mucus...  so in the morning I called work and said I wasn't coming.

AS tomorrow is a scheduled day off, I must have a doctor's note if I am sick on the day before or the day after a rostered day off.  So...went and saw the doc this morning just wanting the obligatory note.  Next thing I know the doc is handing me a slip for a covid test.

So...  now I'm off for three days and waiting for the result.  I wish I felt better,  I could get some modelling done.

• Sad 1

We are right back as bad as the first week of April. My ICU is over full. The youngest of the 13 Covid cases is in his 30s. We have 28 patients, for 24 beds and still have to continue elective surgery, by government decree.

It’s bedlam. Alarms, phones, shouts for help. All in PPE, like a sauna. All day. All night.

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Gaz fingers and knees crossed it’s not Covid-19..........thinking of you buddy.....

Thanks Phil.  I'm pretty sure it's just a cold.  There hasn't been a covid case around here in months.  I have a bunch of nasty flu symptoms but no trouble breathing.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Thanks Phil.  I'm pretty sure it's just a cold

Here’s hoping, by the way my company has now cut everyone’s salary by 50%.......so the little furlough money I did get is now even smaller and lower pension contributions......... another kick in the teeth.......

• Sad 2

Just now, Bomber_County said:

Here’s hoping, by the way my company has now cut everyone’s salary by 50%.......so the little furlough money I did get is now even smaller and lower pension contributions......... another kick in the teeth.......

I'm feeling for you, Phil.  I hope it gets better for you soon.

• Like 1

GREAT news Gazz......  and Phil, I'm sorry to hear of what's going on with you, a real kick in the ' nads '..... I'm lucky and am retired, but our illustrious PM has given so much money away, over this virus thing, he now says our Canada Pension Plan that we all PAID into for our life time at work is now in jeopardy of being broke... HUH....

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Jeff, pensions broke WTF.............I reckon everyone over 60 is going rolled over by this......

yeah, no kidding........... somewhat irresponsible I'd venture to say , but the 'Leader" knows best................... NOT !

• Like 2

And to make sure that Canadians are assured of a proper response from government during this serious crisis B.C. Ferries has decried a mask at all times will be needed.

They even came up with this new sign:

image.jpeg.c28ceaf44034d3543ee560bc6a84d067.jpeg

Its prolly best that Canada has outlawed critique of any kind ( hey , like model forums!) as we need this sort of top level design and decision making without the hindrance of logical input.

As  40+ year veteran on the B.C. custom sign industry I can assure you this is one of the worst things I've ever seen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Jeff said:

And, because some folks can't behave themselves :popo:  , we seem to be on some sort of 'Lock down" again.... they say for just two weeks...........:(................ but..............................:unsure:

Then please explain how in areas where people have been behaving themselves, and have done so since the beginning, the cases are rising at the same rate or even faster than in areas where they have not.

• Like 1

Absolutely correct.  If we lock down here in the us again I know for certain I'm doomed as is my family and many others.  I'd rather risk infection than destroy our future.  That's my personal feeling on the matter.  Not saying it's right or wrong, it's just the decision my wife and I have agreed is best for our family.  And I believe in the right to make that choice for my family. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

Then please explain how in areas where people have been behaving themselves, and have done so since the beginning, the cases are rising at the same rate or even faster than in areas where they have not.

I don't know , BUT  in our area my wife and I HAVE done as we are TOLD, as a lot of others, maybe the large gatherings on our west coast and in our south central interior,when asked by the 'experts' not to do.... may have some effect and folks traveling and being complacent, all I know is I am SICK of always paying the bills for someone else's CRAP. This is getting very old.....  just one old guy's opinion....

• Like 1