The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Share how COVID-19 Quarantine has affected you.

1to1scale

11 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Just my 2 cents worth.  We're now at over 3/4 of a million Covid 19 deaths.  Regarding the stats, people make all kinds of claims and counter claims.  For many, it seems that this "small percentage" doesn't matter" when 50,000,000 people died from Spanish Flu.

I'm guessing that many of these people are sharing their opinions because their businesses are failing, their stuck at home, or otherwise inconvenienced.  Call it self-interest.  No other name for it.  My father's 5th wife (yeah, I know all of the jokes) is always putting out shit on farcebook about fake stats and the small percentage not mattering.  I know she's happily sitting on 'Blessed Assurance'.  Both my wife and I have put her on 'hidden' a couple of times because we're so sick of reading the crap.

Governments are giving away a lot of money to stave off collapse.  Though I live in Australia, I've received a letter from Donald Trump saying that I'll be receiving a check for 1,200 dollars.  I don't know how I feel about cashing it, yet.  It's still in the mail.

I haven't missed a day of work or otherwise been troubled by the Covid mess other than having to queue up at a few places for groceries or hardware.  I haven't taken an opportunity to get ten thousand dollars from my superannuation fund, though many have fibbed about their economic straits.  I know one guy who bought a new motor for his boat with it.  I have trouble about lying on federal forms.  I know if I was jobless, faced with losing my home...  I would probably have a stronger opinion.

Personally I feel sorry for everyone adversely affected by the pandemic.  But I love to see what it's done for the environment.  We've fucked the environment, and now...  just maybe, it's fucking us back.

But I don't know how long that millions can stay out of work.  Some countries have already stated that they cannot survive further lockdown.

I've no idea what's next.  Hopefully a vaccine.

Has your father considered a wife number 6.....?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I still believe that Sweden had the only viable response; protect the old, protect the sick and protect the vulnerable, but the rest of society had to get on with things. They now have almost no deaths as the reach herd immunity. Unfortunately in Australia, our governments were so incompetent they couldn't even protect the old and sick in nursing homes, absolute disgrace. 

Anyways I saw something in all this that made me laugh. A little while ago, the local councils went nuts with power and closed play grounds and filled up skate parks with soil to stop kids using them. I seriously doubt a few kids using a skate park was going to spread the virus, but you know, give petty bureaucrats a sniff of power and this is what happens. The funny part was I saw a bunch of kids out there with shovels; they'd taken the soil and made themselves a dirt bike track. I had to laugh, you matched wits with a bunch of 10 year olds and lost!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BradG said:

I still believe that Sweden had the only viable response; protect the old, protect the sick and protect the vulnerable, but the rest of society had to get on with things. They now have almost no deaths as the reach herd immunity. Unfortunately in Australia, our governments were so incompetent they couldn't even protect the old and sick in nursing homes, absolute disgrace. 

Anyways I saw something in all this that made me laugh. A little while ago, the local councils went nuts with power and closed play grounds and filled up skate parks with soil to stop kids using them. I seriously doubt a few kids using a skate park was going to spread the virus, but you know, give petty bureaucrats a sniff of power and this is what happens. The funny part was I saw a bunch of kids out there with shovels; they'd taken the soil and made themselves a dirt bike track. I had to laugh, you matched wits with a bunch of 10 year olds and lost!

Now THAT'S funny !!!  The ingenuity of kids, gotta love it  ...........

Sweden are nowhere near herd immunity. Analysis of antibody levels in a random sample showed they were at a similar level to London at the beginning of August, just over 17% of the population infected, so not even close. Their approach has had some benefits but they are still a lot of deaths ahead of the rest of Scandinavia and have also had huge problems in their Care homes, so the jury is definitely still out on how best to approach this.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BradG said:

The Swedish experiment is not entirely based on pushing through and carrying on regardless. My Wife works for a Swedish company; Australia was the only factory in the World in the Group that didn't shut down, and the only parts they've received from Sweden so far this year were sent pre-Covid.

I agree with the sentiment of protecting the vulnerable. My Uncle is 85 and in a Nursing Home in regional Queensland; from the outset of Covid 19, he has been limited to only one visit per day from a maximum of two people who must wear masks when doing so. The State Government here is of the same political persuasion as that of Victoria; so this isn't about the politics of those running the show, but more about the specific management practices undertaken. There has been only one case attributed to Covid 19 in Queensland Aged Care facilities, and 1650 in Victoria; so it's completely possible to isolate the vulnerable properly.

• Like 2

Well, that’s it, just finished my last project (architectural). No more work in our sector so it’s furlough from now until the end of September and then who knows after that. If I survive this, it will be a miracle. 

With Scale Modelworld (Telford) being cancelled, it takes away that temptation, albeit I haven’t spent a penny on modelling since this start of this crisis. The past has taught me that my industry always gets decimated in a downturn etc. Only trouble is supply’s are getting a little low, have to slow up........

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Well, that’s it, just finished my last project (architectural). No more work in our sector so it’s furlough from now until the end of September and then who knows after that. If I survive this, it will be a miracle. 

With Scale Modelworld (Telford) being cancelled, it takes away that temptation, albeit I haven’t spent a penny on modelling since this start of this crisis. The past has taught me that my industry always gets decimated in a downturn etc. Only trouble is supply’s are getting a little low, have to slow up........

I would gladly ship you a kit or two, but the South African post offices useless bunch arent working. I have a parcel that landed in JHB International mail service in January, it's still there. They only work one or two days a month due to "Covid".

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that, Phil. This whole thing is getting rather old I must say. I am lucky as we are retired, but I do feel your pain. We ( Cathy and I ) have cut way back as well.... on all sorts of things......and that doesn't help your cause, but it sure does show a life style change that has been forced upon us, and that you are doing you are doing your best. Hang in there as best you can, Phil.  I am certainly hoping we will soon see the back side of this turbulence and get back to the life we used to know. Cheers buddy.....

Thanks Drifter and Jeff for your kind words, thoughts and offers. The biggest problem is if I do get cut, no company is going to employ me as I’m only five and a half years away from state retirement age!!!!.........problems, problems........Luckily I’ve got small stash to keep me going........just build slowly.......:lol:

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that Phil. My dad got made redundant about the same age and went self-employed which worked out pretty well for him. However the building industry was a lot more buoyant back then in the late 90s. Doesn't look like anyone is going to be rushing to design and build new offices, etc at the moment! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

I must admit, they are rather cool.....  comfy  on a chilly rainy day....

I like the ideas and designs too, but have some neighbours here, who built tiny wooden houses for themselves. I always imagine how live in these is when we have 37 degrees and a sandstorm like last weak in these not too well isolated houses. Our so called Bruma (a dense heavy fog) we have very often mainly in spring with the humidity up to 90% dosen't sound like fun in these houses as well.
On the other hand they are better off, than lots of other people on the islands with tiny flats, surrounded by lots of noise, with having a patch of earth around their houses.

Cheer Rob

• Like 2

My stepdaughter has built two of those already, and is currently living in one of them (was there not 4 hours ago). Not my idea of comfort, but I have to say it’s a very smart build and you get all  basic amenities within 14 sqm and 3500 kgs. Definitely very ingenious designs, well isolated btw, easy to warm in winter, albeit a bit warm in hot summers.

Hubert

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HubertB said:

My stepdaughter has built two of those already, and is currently living in one of them (was there not 4 hours ago). Not my idea of comfort, but I have to say it’s a very smart build and you get all  basic amenities within 14 sqm and 3500 kgs. Definitely very ingenious designs, well isolated btw, easy to warm in winter, albeit a bit warm in hot summers.

Hubert

We have those in Texas.

We keep rabbits in them. Only the small rabbits, though.

• Haha 3