The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Share how COVID-19 Quarantine has affected you.

1to1scale

On 11/28/2020 at 7:14 AM, BlrwestSiR said:

We're all glad he wasn't hurt worse after we saw the car.

That's crazy Carl! Sure glad he's ok!

Unfortunately, my week has been a little similar. After avoiding family for Christmas because of of illness, my wife and I visited some family and were exposed to COVID on Dec. 31, and true to form my wife and I both now have it, as do both my sisters, their husbands, and my dad. My 19 year old daughter escaped it, but one of our two teenage boys is now showing symptoms. My 82 year old Dad was the worst, as he has congestive heart failure (along with a raft of other problems), so we figured when he went to the hospital Tuesday, he wasn't coming back. Surprisingly, he went home today with an oxygen tank and a wheelchair! He's not over it yet, and could still take a bad turn, but I didn't think he'd get this far, so that's good. He's a tough old farmer!

My poor, exhausted, 79 year old mom was driving home from the testing place a couple of days ago, and was so happy that she tested negative, she failed to stop at an intersection, and got hit by a pickup right in her door. Thankfully, the car had side curtain airbags and it saved her life, nothing but bruises. Sure tore up her nice Subaru that she bought 6 months ago.

If this is any indication of how 2021 will go, I want off this train, now! Maybe 2020 is trying to lash out at us from the grave.....

Tim

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

11 minutes ago, biggtim said:

Thankfully, the car had side curtain airbags and it saved her life, nothing but bruises. Sure tore up her nice Subaru that she bought 6 months ago

Tim, glad to hear your mom is ok. Your dad too. I'm glad the way they design cars these days to protect the occupants. Even if it does make them a bit less fun. 

Carl

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Tim, glad to hear your mom is ok. Your dad too. I'm glad the way they design cars these days to protect the occupants. Even if it does make them a bit less fun. 

Carl

100% agreed !

• Like 5

On 1/8/2021 at 8:15 PM, GazzaS said:

So sorry,buddy.  IGA...  not Coles.  BTW... this kinda shit is driving the profits up, up, up.

Well, Sunday here now and everything back to normal, at least on the Groceries front. No crowds, no queues, plenty of supplies at the shops, and hardly any traffic...

IMG20210109091313.thumb.jpg.0fbadb6997025e55aea89dd4b2c29730.jpg

The Queensland Government pulled this lockdown out of their backside on a whim at 8am on Friday morning. The Health Department weren't informed and had no idea it was happening; they admitted as much to my Wife when she called them at 9am find out if her Factory workplace was considered "essential"... They had no idea, as they told her there had been no communication from the Government and as such no guidelines put in place. Subsequently, plenty of Businesses quite understandably took this official indecision to mean "Whoopee, 4 day weekend Boys" and quickly shut up shop (especially as there's Test Match Cricket on the 'telly).

The Woman who set this all in motion tested positive on Wednesday. There have been in excess of 50 thousand test done since, and not one single more positive test has been recorded. On the face of it, it seems like an abundance of caution has been applied. Inconsistencies abound; at first, the wearing of masks was mandated for everyone leaving their place of residence. Travelling in a private vehicle was not addressed specifically, then after people began asking it came through as not required...IMG_20210110_121541.thumb.jpg.aae1830b10cbfa38b32b6e41d031413e.jpg

A couple of hours later this changed completely!

IMG_20210110_123214.thumb.jpg.bff59dff7a1fc57238eef0278f0459de.jpg

There are further inconsistencies... A Woman flew into Melbourne from Heathrow after Christmas, and tested positive to the new UK strain while in quarantine. Vic Health allowed her to leave isolation after 10 days when she was no longer displaying symptoms, but without testing her! She then flew into Brisbane, and then went on by road to the Sunshine Coast hinterland to stay with her Parents. After she was in the Community there for 2 days, Victorian authorities finally decided to do their job properly, and advised Queensland health of her travel intentions. She was subsequently tested, and found to be still positive for Covid 19, and therefore still shedding live Virus. But for some inexplicable reason, the Sunshine Coast has not been put into lockdown like Greater Brisbane has, despite both areas having only a single known case in the Community.

We are in a very fortunate situation here, in that we are all wetting our collective pants about having single cases of Covid 19 to deal with, rather than the thousands daily we see in other parts of the World. Yet I can't help the feeling that the authorities here are just making things up as they go.

S

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Not sure how you guys are doing out there, I’ve got a couple of months work on three projects which is a godsend.......the bad news is there is very little in work after they have finished.........2 months salary is good........hope everyone and their loved ones are coping........

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Not sure how you guys are doing out there, I’ve got a couple of months work on three projects which is a godsend.......the bad news is there is very little in work after they have finished.........2 months salary is good........hope everyone and their loved ones are coping........

Glad you have something for now, Phil.  Hopefully afterwards, something new will appear.

• Like 1

That sounds pretty good, Phil, considering .... I guess..... I must say, you 'sound' quite positive about it all, which is really good for your health.... I have to say, this is getting a bit old. Cathy and I here in B.C. are doing 'ok', following the rules as they change on a regular basis, trying to stay out of the 'hot' spots, but locally we don't have any cases which is REALLY good. It is a bit difficult to see my 99 year old dad at the care home, but I do get to chat with him on the phone, with luck later today actually... but over all we seem to be coping, but after a year of this stuff and all the promises made by our 'leaders' , we really don't seem to be a whole lot further ahead than we were a year ago....... so with all that in mind, this forum seems to be my 'tonic' to keep me sane, and connect with al my friends world wide. Thanks for checking in on daily life, for me it is always of interest, .......stay safe !!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Glad you have something for now, Phil.  Hopefully afterwards, something new will appear.

Thanks Gaz, it’s all dependant on developers having the confidence to start new projects.......:thumbsup2:

15 hours ago, Jeff said:

That sounds pretty good, Phil, considering .... I guess..... I must say, you 'sound' quite positive about it all, which is really good for your health.... 

thanks Jeff, I’m glad to be back for awhile. Having had a 43 year career, 33 years of which I commuted for 4 hours a day then 4.5 months furlough, it does mess with your brain.....I can’t complain, there are a lot of people in a worse situation than I ............

• Like 1

Back into 5 days lockdown cos our government screwed up again. Cricket cancelled just when I was back in form (51*, 84, 29, 38 in my last 4 digs), can't go out, can't have visitors, can't drive more than 5kms from your house. Well I think I'm building models for 5 days.

• Like 3

That's a bummer Brad as that's a decent run of form. You've almost made my career total in 4 innings - in 300+ games I made a grand total of 247 runs! Guess what number I batted at? Would have been 12 if I could have. Did take 500+ wickets so did contribute something.

Just watched them chucking the spectators out at the tennis which shows how sudden this must have been. At least your government acts quickly, ours announces stuff then does bugger all for weeks before finally getting round to implementing it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GusMac said:

That's a bummer Brad as that's a decent run of form. You've almost made my career total in 4 innings - in 300+ games I made a grand total of 247 runs! Guess what number I batted at? Would have been 12 if I could have. Did take 500+ wickets so did contribute something.

Just watched them chucking the spectators out at the tennis which shows how sudden this must have been. At least your government acts quickly, ours announces stuff then does bugger all for weeks before finally getting round to implementing it.

500 wickets is pretty good, I have 3 wickets in 280 games! We have a team mate who we plan on clapping his 100th career run :)

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, BradG said:

500 wickets is pretty good, I have 3 wickets in 280 games! We have a team mate who we plan on clapping his 100th career run :)

I only made double figures 4 times in my career and remember vividly getting clapped the first time it happened. Did once have a run of 5 completed innings where I only faced 4 balls. One run out without facing! 

• Like 3

This is great news Phil; both for the Bank balance, and the confidence hopefully.

On 2/12/2021 at 6:03 AM, Bomber_County said:

Meanwhile...

12 hours ago, BradG said:

Back into 5 days lockdown cos our government screwed up again. Cricket cancelled just when I was back in form (51*, 84, 29, 38 in my last 4 digs), can't go out, can't have visitors, can't drive more than 5kms from your house. Well I think I'm building models for 5 days.

Don't be surprised if 5 days morphs into a fortnight Brad. Their website says as much...

IMG_20210213_130401.thumb.jpg.60ab6302d58c27d43c80726a2bbde8e5.jpg

Time will tell.

S

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2021 at 5:53 AM, JohnB said:

I'm pleased to say I've had both of my vaccine shots so I feel "safer" now. Still will wear my mask when going to the store, etc. 

That great to hear John...

They have been slowly rolling out the Pfizer vaccine for the last month here now. The AstraZeneca variant will be manufactured locally in Melbourne at the Commonwealth Serum Laboratory. On March 4th, Italy decided to suspend supply of the AZ vaccine to Australia; citing the fact that we don't need it as much as they do because we have kept Covid-19 largely under control... and the European Commission backed them up. Then, some EU Countries (including Italy) stopped their own vaccinations of the AZ variant due to blood clotting concerns. So for all it mattered, they may as well have just sent what we ordered a year ago.

Meanwhile, Queensland where I am has started vaccinations with about 30 thousand given to Critical Care workers. We have about another 70 thousand in stock, so the rollout is happening very slowly. A Doctor treating Covid patients in a Public Hospital tested positive to the Virus last week... Inexplicably, she had not been given even the first of the two vaccine jabs! 

Some of the Australian stock of Vaccines is being sent up North to Papua New Guinea. The Virus is beginning to spread up there, and the Au Government is becoming concerned that it may become a back-door entry for the Virus. Parts of PNG are within sight of the Australian coast, and groups of Islanders often commute by boat and trade between the two Communities. With only 18 ICU beds in Port Moresby, the situation may get out of control there really quickly.

S

• Like 2

Good to hear your government is taking the bigger picture and helping out PNG. As you say, the EU situation is a mess with some major ass covering going on amongst some of the leaders. They've also done a good job of blowing confidence in their own vaccination programme with some of their non-scientific statements. Hope your rollout goes to plan. As a healthcare worker I've had both doses of the Pfizer vaccine and had no noticeable side-effects. 

• Like 1

It's the least we can do. Until 1975, PNG was an Australian Territory, and even now Australian Mining concerns rip billions of dollars of resources out of the Country. But I'm not convinced that we're looking after them from a largely philanthropic point of view; rather than we don't want the collateral Health risks from incidental contact between Traders, or the Virus being brought back into the Country by fly in / fly out Australian workers.

Apart from the Towns and the Mining settlements; it's still a Jungle up there, both literally and figuratively. Lots of lawlessness and superstition abounds.

3 hours ago, GusMac said:

As a healthcare worker I've had both doses of the Pfizer vaccine and had no noticeable side-effects. 

I think that most people deep down realise that reactions can occur to vaccinations, but that severe reactions when they happen are extremely rare and anomalous (as are cases of re-infection of Covid-19). My former Partner had a severe reaction to Gadolinium dye during an MRI, and the shock to her system brought forward her M.S. symptoms almost instantaneously... Many people would equate that as being similar to examples of a Vaccine causing an unrelated Medical condition, and therefore a justification of an anti-Vaccine stance. It's always a personal choice when it comes down to it, but everything in life comes with risks and consequences, and so it is with vaccinations.

FWIW, I'll be getting one when my time comes.

S

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Wumm said:

FWIW, I'll be getting one when my time comes.

S

Had my first one yesterday, the number of people who have said which one did you get etc etc, my answer who cares as long as it works and gives some quantum of protection. My question would be, if everyone didn’t get the vaccine, how are we going to get anywhere close to returning to some semblance of normal......as Steve said in the end of the day it’s personal choice and I support that......

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Had my first one yesterday, the number of people who have said which one did you get etc etc, my answer who cares as long as it works and gives some quantum of protection. My question would be, if everyone didn’t get the vaccine, how are we going to get anywhere close to returning to some semblance of normal......as Steve said in the end of the day it’s personal choice and I support that......

EXACTLY !!!!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

So here we are again. After 8 weeks of extreme pressure to deliver two projects it’s now back to being put on furlough for the foreseeable future or until the company makes more people redundant. Deep joy.....

Sorry to hear that ,Phil, man you guys sure keep taking it on the chin.... we are kind of locked down here too, sorta.... I just wish folks would STOP partying, that 'might' help a bit, but we all seem to be paying the price and it is getting really OLD!  Best wishes my friend, lets hope we are nearing the end of this nonsense  !

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Sorry to hear that ,Phil, man you guys sure keep taking 

Thanks Jeff, we had two nice days of weather and people went mad in the parks etc.......I think pandemic period has made the selfish even more selfish IMHO......As for work, I work in a sector which is purely development/ developer led. If they don’t want to spend money, we don’t work.....

• Sad 2