The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

OV-10 Bronco

Life has kept me away from modeling for a bit but my genealogy hobby has got me inspired again.  I discovered a third cousin that was shot down in 1970 flying a Bronco for the Marines on his third combat tour.  He and his copilot/observer spent the night evading capture.  The following day after hearing small arms fire in the direction of my cousin he was picked up with a Spad pilot also shot down flying cover.  My cousin was never heard from again, listed MIA.

I’ll be building the Kittyhawk 1:32 Bronco in the livery of VMO-2 in his memory.  It won’t be a quick build but I’ll post my progress.

Mike

17C9D9FB-19A2-47B5-B395-DACFBCF996CD.jpeg

53F189FE-0154-43CF-AFF3-74392A079824.jpeg

B09FE1E4-DA21-44ED-A087-B89AC7FBAC47.jpeg

5E447468-C4E1-4F35-ACC3-A525796B0C66.jpeg

• Like 11

Started working on some sub assemblies prior to some painting.  Nice molding details in this kit.  Have found some heavy flash on some parts and the usual mislabeled parts in the instructions and wrong paint call outs.

This is going to be a heavy one and the way the Bronco landing gear is designed (rough field) I think I better invest in some metal gear.

So far so good.

Mike

38706F6A-46F9-4D57-A080-11EA0013204B.jpeg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Buckeye82 said:

Thanks for that information, I was just about to order the SAC white metal gear.  Will definitely go with the brass! 

Mike

It’s a simple rule to remember: NEVER EVER buy a SAC white metal gear for a 1/32 kit. If you have doubts about the strength of the plastic part, you can be certain that it still will be twice stronger than the crapium used by SAC ;) ...

Hubert

• Like 5

Guest Dekenba
24 minutes ago, HubertB said:

It’s a simple rule to remember: NEVER EVER buy a SAC white metal gear for a 1/32 kit. If you have doubts about the strength of the plastic part, you can be certain that it still will be twice stronger than the crapium used by SAC ;) ...

Hubert

Couldn't agree more.

Absolute crap, with apologies to crap.

Very poor copies of the kit gear, but with the strength of a 2 week old blancmange. Needs a ton of clean-up, straightening, sanding & priming, and even then they won't last as long as a pair of toothpicks.

The Aerocraft gear looks absolutely amazing. That's what I imagined a SAC set would look like, before I actually ponied up the dosh to buy a set.

Generally speaking, G-Factor gear is also outstandingly good.

11 minutes ago, Buckeye82 said:

Thanks Hubert!  What do you use to assemble the brass parts, super glue?

Mike

Not CA. CA is only good for resisting tensile forces, and the LG design of the OV-10 implies torsion and shearing forces for which CA is not the best. So, use two-component epoxy instead. The queen of epoxy glues is JB-Weld : old product, but still unbeatable.

And, yes, the KH kit absolutely needs replacing. The Aerocraft landing gear is really great.

Hubert

• Like 5

Buckeye 82 Mike   Also Harold of AMS Resin does the Wing tanks, seats, wheels, and center drop tank I recommend those as well. Highly recommend you get his seats and center tank.  contact info is in this thread

Let us know what you want as a load out in weapons! eduard does a 4 shot ZUNI pod. Harold (AMS) has some stuff to.

https://www.hbhobbies.com/collections/rexx-exhausts/products/rx32048-ov-10a-c-exhausts

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Vandy1 VX-4 said:

Buckeye 82 Mike   Also Harold of AMS Resin does the Wing tanks, seats, wheels, and center drop tank I recommend those as well. Highly recommend you get his seats and center tank.  contact info is in this thread

Let us know what you want as a load out in weapons! eduard does a 4 shot ZUNI pod. Harold (AMS) has some stuff to.

https://www.hbhobbies.com/collections/rexx-exhausts/products/rx32048-ov-10a-c-exhausts

Nice, will check this out.  Thanks!!

Mike

• Like 4

Got one of the engines, mounts and bulkhead ready for paint.  Kit has some nice photo etch included.  I think I’ll close up the second one.

Only complaint so far is some thick attachment points on some fragile parts and the part numbers on the trees are hard to read for these aging eyes. ;)

29D53874-BA44-4DE3-9366-599FA69E47FF.jpeg

FFA43305-F08A-409C-942C-C9DCBE279F2B.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Mike  Just a heads up!  Look close at your reference photos for the screens on the engine intakes!!!!!  A lot of them are museum birds and have screens in the intakes to keep birds out

garrett-t76-g1012-turboprop-engine-on-a-

33239450065_56f2d029be_b.jpg

004.jpg

TpwLm1m0mRz-cLXBTRrSr4Xjj7hksFedStN-qh_j      You have the semi round screen that should not be there on the Motor.

North-American-Rockwell-OV-10A-Bronco-67

I also had a distant relative that flew for the NAVY VAL-4 Black Ponies. He was killed on a Mission there. I also found out He ( Pete Russel ) had a unconfirmed Mig  kill in a Skyradair to.  

On the landing gear?  I know of some guys glue the gear inwards to counter the gear from splaying outwards. But it still does or breaks.

Cheers

Danny

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2