Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Crazy paint question. Ever use home interior latex paint on a model?

ScottsGT

I’m about to jump into a 1/350 TOS Enterprise As soon as the Skyhawk is done.  When the Smithsonian restored the 11’ filming model, they used a Benjamin Moore color.  I can get a pint mixed up for $10 in one of their sample cans.   This seems totally out of place for me to use non-model paint, and I’m giving it a harder looks since just today I decanted plasti-coat brand spray paint and used oil based hardner from Tractor Supply to paint the Blue Angels Skyhawk and got very impressive results.  

• Like 5

Scott, I've seen intakes dipped in latex paint (multiple times, building up layers) in order to make them seamless. Other than that, I've never heard of such a thing. Personally, I would be concerned about the paint lifting over time.

• Like 5

On an 11'  model, I can see using latex paint and even a Wagner power sprayer. :lol:   I certainly wouldn't want to airbrush something that big. 

Plus I think the Enterprise filming model was made from wood so latex again would make sense. 

Maybe check out Starshipmodeler.com and see what they suggest. When I had the 1/350 Refit, my plan was to do the base in white and do the Aztecing in pearl. Never got around to it and sold it. 

Carl

• Like 3

I guess it would depend on how well it adheres to plastic and whether or not you can thin it down enough to spray good and provide coverage without drowning detail. I know people use those cheap craft acrylics you buy for kids projects with no problems.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

On an 11'  model, I can see using latex paint and even a Wagner power sprayer. :lol:   I certainly wouldn't want to airbrush something that big. 

Plus I think the Enterprise filming model was made from wood so latex again would make sense. 

Maybe check out Starshipmodeler.com and see what they suggest. When I had the 1/350 Refit, my plan was to do the base in white and do the Aztecing in pearl. Never got around to it and sold it. 

Carl

Carl, appreciate the starshipmodeler tip.  I’ve signed up, waiting on approval.  Some of the sub forums you cannot even see unless you are a member.  

Hmmm, I do have a Wagner sprayer still in the box. :rolleyes:  Doing some reading, very popular method of painting large scale RC airplanes is using latex.

FWIW, I’m planning on picking up a small HVLF detail gun from Harbor Freight when I have to spray this big thing.   Looking at builds on YouTube, the popular method is to pre-paint the model and then do touch ups on all the seams after gluing it together and filling the seams.  

• Like 4

I did some digging on the ‘net and found where some guys use Tamiya light ghost gray in spray cans.   I’ve got 4 or 5 cans on order to hopefully make life easier.  

Soooooo many different variables with the paint since there is the filming model colors and then how it appears on film/TV.   I’m going for the look on TV that I grew up watching.  The actual model has a green hue to it that cannot be seen once it was put on film.   The other option was Tamiya XF-12 Japanese Gray lightened 10% with white. This one has the green hue.

Going to be a different kind of build for me with all the lighting and wiring I’m going to do.  

• Like 4

On 5/25/2020 at 7:26 PM, Clunkmeister said:

I’ve actually used interior latex. I’ve used white as a way to smooth the interior of jet intakes.

Same here....harv

• Like 2

Smooth saucer in hand!  I bought it years after I bought the kit.  

Already thinking of kit bashing the engraved one into something.  

Supposedly the saucer was detachable in an emergency. I just watched the entire TOS shows and in one episode Kirk tells Scotty to detach and get out of the area if he doesn’t save the universe they are in, or something along those lines.  But if warp engines are dead they can move the crew to the saucer and detach.  I think they did this in one of the movies.   Might look into building this.  

• Like 2

I go to my local big box store and have 'em mix up small sample jars of paint. Any color you can think of.  I get a pint of paint for $2.50 American. Here where I by model paint a tiny, 17ml bottle of Mig is about $8.00 American.  I have been doing this for years and the paint has not lifted off any of my models.

• Like 4