The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

So, today I made something.

1to1scale

I sat at my workbench for a couple hours this morning, I didn’t feel like working on anything, the bench was a cluttered mess, and I was just wanting to do something different. My compressor and airbrush are on the far right of my bench, I paint on the far left, so I’m always stretching the air hose across everything in the middle, knocking things down and on the floor.  

For a few weeks I have been kicking around ides for a new bench. But everything is just a cluttered mess, so i decided to add a second separate painting station. I already had most of the parts, so off to the hardware store I go. 

I used an ikea table Top leftover From a project I did for the wife, I also used my old tool cart from when I worked on cars. I then got a paper towel holder and a pair of hinges from the hardware store. A grand total of $16, I lucked out and the hinges bolted on to the cart in the right spot using existing bolts, and six screws into the tabletop...done! This was the easiest and least problematic thing I have done n a long time! 

B91F343B-4216-4CBE-8BED-BF3CD62ADB42.thumb.jpeg.29e1fd7baa9909598934ce851cde204f.jpeg

AM parts, Accessories, and decals go under the top, this is stuff I don’t access very often...basically just storage. You can see the paper towel roll holder on the right. I will also be adding a small narrow shelf on the side to hold my air compressor and power strip. 

Paints and thinners on the second shelf, this is my most used stuff for painting.

Finally, the bottom shelf is for less frequently used stuff and larger tools.

Later I am going to add my paint booth and paint drying area on the top, I’m going to secure it so things don’t slide off when I lift the top.

6F11DAED-6030-4032-B5A3-E8D0934BB3CA.thumb.jpeg.c98c291a726b98df988ac42c86a4b933.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That's awesome!  My bench is on casters, but it's becoming more and more crowded.  I think I should make a second roll-away like yours for more stuff.  And I've been thinking about something like this to hand on one end:

acrylic-wall-mounted-brochure-magazine-h

....  for holding sprues.  I'm now building a Dragon kit and it has a few...  ahem...   sprues.

• Like 5

Great idea!  I have a very similar cart I usually keep a piece of old plywood on top of.  It’s a cheap Harbor Freight cart and for some reason one side is taller than then the other, so if I don’t take time to modify it, it won’t have a level top.  But I’m looking into building something very similar but more of a fold up paint booth with a fan and ducting. I’ll keep the fan unit on it along with the air compressor and cleaning supplies.  

• Like 3

22 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Great idea!  I have a very similar cart I usually keep a piece of old plywood on top of.  It’s a cheap Harbor Freight cart and for some reason one side is taller than then the other, so if I don’t take time to modify it, it won’t have a level top.  But I’m looking into building something very similar but more of a fold up paint booth with a fan and ducting. I’ll keep the fan unit on it along with the air compressor and cleaning supplies.  

Yes, this is a harbor freight cart, although this one is maybe 10 years old now. The top was a IKEA 40” x 24” which was And ikea tabletop I used for extra deep shelving in my wife’s closet, I happened to have one leftover and it was only $9 On sale. The hinges were flat gate hinges that cost $12, and $6 for a paper towel holder. Done.

I have a fold up paint booth, but I’m going to mount it to the top and create a custom hood for it so it can hold larger than 1/32 single engine fighters. The booth came with three LED strips that are actually very good, the main issue has always been the width. So I am going to see if I can find some sheet coroplast and make some new sides that extend out about 24-30 inches. I may also consider using thin 1/4” plywood, as I have some of that laying around too. And finally, I want to put in a separate switches for the fan and lighting, as they currently come on together, and the fan is annoyingly noisy.

Currently, I paint with the garage door open, but as the weather will get colder, I’ll vent the booth outside through the window.

• Like 3