Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Zoukei-Mura P51D Mustang SWS No 4.

15 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Peter, there was so much AM came with this purchase, it was a shame to leave it in the box. The only trouble is there are figures to do..........when I do do the MK IV should be interesting because I’ll get hung up on the details again...

Phil

And they call this frustration fun :hsmack:

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Actually got some bench time today, Rob mentioned how the the panels on the ZM fit, So far so good, as can be seen by the part panelled fuselage they fit IMHO, perfectly. Yes a coat of paint does make a difference as with WnW but I tend to test fit everything and anything, throw back from the old days I guess. ZM engineering is good, build square and carefully and you will be amazed. So it’s time to fit lower panels, wing fillets and then the wing..........

DFA885AA-1158-418A-A242-5AF140C12881.thumb.jpeg.d1048340c329f096611400ae857d89b3.jpeg

81C93EB8-320A-43A9-85CC-F66F6BFCF5EF.thumb.jpeg.192db74ae4eb4d1b41d29e9c37e04004.jpeg

A664F36B-FBE2-47E5-9D2F-96756AC69952.thumb.jpeg.edf8ac5f4d7c80e05a89bb4897824b30.jpeg

• Like 11

Looking comfortingly good Phil. You are my current dummy, like we say in surfing :D, if the air is clear with your build, my cowardly me is starting mine.
Progress is looking fine and what is to resist, with the powerful lines of a Mustang. Looking at yours, I may change my plan for building it as a British Mustang IV with camo to a NMF one.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Looking comfortingly good Phil. You are my current dummy, like we say in surfing :D, if the air is clear with your build, my cowardly me is starting mine.
Progress is looking fine and what is to resist, with the powerful lines of a Mustang. Looking at yours, I may change my plan for building it as a British Mustang IV with camo to a NMF one.

Cheers Rob

Rob, thanks much appreciated, don’t mind being the point man for you, you could do a NMF with the VI there are some 8th markings in the box. I now clean all my joints with a fibreglass pencil just to make sure they are clean.....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Actually got some bench time today, Rob mentioned how the the panels on the ZM fit, So far so good, as can be seen by the part panelled fuselage they fit IMHO, perfectly. Yes a coat of paint does make a difference as with WnW but I tend to test fit everything and anything, throw back from the old days I guess. ZM engineering is good, build square and carefully and you will be amazed. So it’s time to fit lower panels, wing fillets and then the wing..........

DFA885AA-1158-418A-A242-5AF140C12881.thumb.jpeg.d1048340c329f096611400ae857d89b3.jpeg

81C93EB8-320A-43A9-85CC-F66F6BFCF5EF.thumb.jpeg.192db74ae4eb4d1b41d29e9c37e04004.jpeg

A664F36B-FBE2-47E5-9D2F-96756AC69952.thumb.jpeg.edf8ac5f4d7c80e05a89bb4897824b30.jpeg

That looks really pretty good!

I‘m also from the old days, since test-fitting is something I can’t resist.

So necessary when you are building Italeri and even ZM when I remember how the engine to fuselage installation on the Ta-152 worked...

I‘m curious how your build will go on! 
Really awesome so far! 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, GazzaS said:

all of that work looks great!  Glad to see it coming together so 

Thanks Gaz, really enjoying this build.......you would love a ZM build and you are more than qualified, they do take a different approach but IMHO it’s good.....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

I’m torn, not sure about kit decals........where did you get your alternative schemes Harv?

I'll have to dig them out. But I will let you know, if you don't mine me posting them here.....harv

• Like 3

When I visited Planes of Fame in Chino, California some years ago, I bought a book about the 506th Fighter Group, signed by Abner m. Aust, the last WWII ace. If I do a NMF Mustang, it will be one of the schemes in the book. Luckily the decals are included for some of the planes in different scales and they are printed by Techmod, which is a good sign.

Cheers Rob

This is the book
IMG_8551.thumb.JPG.59a21cb8abaa8aed7bd616c9cdff0d3a.JPG

These are my favorite schemes:

IMG_8547.thumb.JPG.968eb6c0179b825475c8a7ccb8ab65d6.JPG

IMG_8549.thumb.JPG.c54318267af76be01d795af8e90d1441.JPG

This is the signed back cover

IMG_8550.thumb.JPG.9b5ffc81cff91bf476d7e103ca8707ec.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, DocRob said:

When I visited Planes of Fame in Chino, California some years ago, 

The schemes look amazing, getting bored of the same old schemes time and time again.......I’ll have a look for it on Amazon or similar......

55 minutes ago, DocRob said:

they look interesting, I was going to try and make my own......:wacko:....

• Like 3

Phil

Nice progress - looking so good.

Can’t wait for you start the painting stage as I’m about there myself. Still trying to get parts to fit and it’s easy to see you have the fit issues completely under control.

I’ve resolved my painted aluminum paint color For the wings and basic NMF base aluminum for the fuselage. My basic plan is to work from a few reference photos for the major panels. 

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Peterpools said:Can’t wait for you start the painting stage as I’m about there myself. Still trying to get parts to fit and it’s easy to see you have the fit issues completely under control.

Thanks Peter, that sounds like a good plan. I’m going to blu tack the cowls on for painting and decals and then add the engine framing for the open engine bay. As you remember with ZM the become very obvious very quickly if you mess up. 

• Like 1

Phil

Completely agree and you have me thinking about ZM kits in a big way. Right now I've very strongly leaning towards the ZM He219 as my next build. Yes, I know I got pretty far with one on the old Large Plane Forum years ago but once I stopped modelling a few years back, I packed it up and filed it away in the attic.  A good while later after I was diagnosed with cancer, I was forbidden to climb up into the attic and by now, have no idea where the kit would be. Easiest solution, I bought another kit and will doing a new OOB build, starting after finishing the Revell P-51. Just need to order the correct paints and I should be set.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Phil

Completely agree and you have me thinking about ZM kits in a big way. Right now I've very strongly leaning towards the ZM He219 as my next build. Yes, I know I got pretty far with one on the old Large Plane Forum years ago but once I stopped modelling a few years back, I packed it up and filed it away in the attic.  A good while later after I was diagnosed with cancer, I was forbidden to climb up into the attic and by now, have no idea where the kit would be. Easiest solution, I bought another kit and will do a new OOB build, starting after finishing the Revell P-51. Just need to order the correct paints and I should be set.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

That‘s a good idea, Peter! This is an awesome model with beautiful details (although lots of them will be hidden when the build is finished).I have also one in my stash and I will closely follow your posts when you start it. For my build I also have a beautiful how-to-book by Daniel Zamarbide. 
It will look nice next to my HK Lancaster...
Please start as soon as possible...;)

• Like 3