The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Happy New Year Everyone

Bomber_County

18 hours ago, GusMac said:

My grandfather was a farmer so I know it's a damn hard life Alan. He would never leave the farm at Xmas or New Year even if invited to one of his kid's for Xmas lunch, etc. Cattle always had to be fed. I take my hat off to you for what you do and it's one of the reasons we always try to support the local farmshops rather than the faceless supermarkets. Quality is also sooo much better!

Absolutely !!!, I support a local ranch for my AWESOME beef order........ it is incredible how much better it is, and I am supporting a young couple whose family has been ranching for over 100 years, so they are doing something right....  local ranchers and farmers are the only way to go !

• Like 4

7 hours ago, harv said:

We do that too !.....harv

Oh, sweet..... how much do you get, and do you got to the ranch to get it? We had a prime rib roast the other day, and it was 'fork' tender..... incredible stuff..... I could eat it everyday....

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

You guys are making me hungry. Going to to have to dig out the BBQ now thanks to all this talk of cow. 

Carl

I know, I was going to mention to Harv that between you and Tony, with the BBQ pics you guys send me, I have to get more recipes and skills to keep up with you two guys ! :rofl:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We're having BBQ'd chicken tonight...    Had steak last night.  I don;t know that I've ever heard of another way to get beef other than the local butcher or grocery store here in my corner of Australia.  Besides...  I don't know if my little chest freezer could deal with a quarter of a cow.

• Like 4

I worked a couple years in the local butcher shop. Man, seeing half a side come in was just a crazy amount of meat. No way it would fit in our freezer that's for sure. I think I could do a whole lamb though. That would be just as tasty too.

I broke down and grabbed a whole pork shoulder.  Got it in a brine and will throw it on the grill Sunday. 

• Like 2

I dated a Girl in the 80's, who lived on a Rural property between Rocky and the Coast. Every now and then, they would send a Cow off to a Mate they knew, and the deal was he'd keep half after butchery and send them half back all sliced and diced. Seems I've heard of this since as well from others about the place.

I came over one Saturday morning, and their Pig was strung up headless in an adjacent tree, being bled ready for collection. Let's just say, that kind of sight leaves a lasting impression on a young Man courting a Farmer's Daughter.

S

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I worked a couple years in the local butcher shop. Man, seeing half a side come in was just a crazy amount of meat. No way it would fit in our freezer that's for sure. I think I could do a whole lamb though. That would be just as tasty too.

I broke down and grabbed a whole pork shoulder.  Got it in a brine and will throw it on the grill Sunday. 

So, what's in your brine?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, GazzaS said:

So, what's in your brine?

I use

- 3 tablespoons salt 

- 2 tablespoons brown sugar 

-  2 tablespoons maple syrup 

- 2 tablespoons Chivas 

- 2 1/2 cups of water

I put the meat into a large Ziploc and squeeze as much air out so don't need as much brine. I used to make a couple litres and drop it in a huge cooler but this is much more efficient.

I let it brine for at least 24 hours but usually 48.  I've used it on brisket, pork, and turkey so far. 

• Like 2

One of the bonuses of buying directly from the ranch is the price,  the whole thing works out to under 6 bucks a pound... and we get some of the finest cuts in that as well, comes cut, wrapped and frozen, for that price, as an example, a very SMALL rib roast, at the Safeway store was over $90.00 ! Easily consumed by 4 people in one sitting........... and who knows what kind of chemicals and hormones were used in raising that animal.... Cathy and I know the animals that are raised at the ranch we get ours from is absolutely grass fed, and well acres for, they have over 35,000 acres fro them to graze, which with the different grasses makes the flavor that much nicer.... we enjoy the beef, and feel as there are no 'extras' in the meat we can eat it with confidence.....  that's our take anyway... pictures, Carl, picture ! ;)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I use

- 3 tablespoons salt 

- 2 tablespoons brown sugar 

-  2 tablespoons maple syrup 

- 2 tablespoons Chivas 

- 2 1/2 cups of water

I put the meat into a large Ziploc and squeeze as much air out so don't need as much brine. I used to make a couple litres and drop it in a huge cooler but this is much more efficient.

I let it brine for at least 24 hours but usually 48.  I've used it on brisket, pork, and turkey so far. 

Thanks for that recipe!  I'll give it a go on my next roast.

After last years bush fires, beef an lamb prices went very high.  Because both are range animals, they died out there in millions. 

But I was raised on grain fed beef grown on my uncles farm.  But it's been so long since then that I really couldn't tell you how it was different.  I know they didn't get fed hormones, just grasses, grain, dried corn, and silage.

ugh...  this fat man needs to quit thinking about food!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1