Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Help! Sucking at scribing...

GazzaS

FtoRAR.jpg

This was done with a straight edge, can you believe it?

There is just no room for my fingers to operate.

sIOykP.jpg

When the line is out in the open I can fix and refix until I make a passable straight line.   I need an idea to get over this hump...

Anyone got one?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Dymo tape for me also, plus Lion Roar scribing templates and Airwaves radius scribing templates, for the actual scribing I use a Bare Metal Scriber. I have also use the flexible Tamiya masking tape with some sucess.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

I have to do a master degree soon, as Im going to rescribe a 1:48 B-29. 

I have been using Dymo tape and some Scale Modelling Aircraft rule with some templates and a chinese (unbrand) scriber.

Now, I got Hasegawa tools (several templates) and a scriber.

I got them at a good price at www.sealmodel.com

Fran

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DocRob said:

I use Dymo tape for these occasions.

Ecowell negro Color 9mm Dymo 3D plástico repujado cintas para grabado en relieve para Dymo 1540,

Cheers Rob

13 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

I use a flexible erasure shield, very thin stainless steel, was used on drawing boards......

FB826E52-4D38-4F2C-BD12-00BDDA0FB4FA.thumb.jpeg.098cb119ec73afda65920d841250596e.jpeg

8 hours ago, Spitfire said:

Dymo tape for me also, plus Lion Roar scribing templates and Airwaves radius scribing templates, for the actual scribing I use a Bare Metal Scriber. I have also use the flexible Tamiya masking tape with some sucess.

Cheers

Dennis

1 hour ago, Bill_S said:

What are you using as a scribe, Gaz? I got the UMM ones and I love them. I use dymond tape with them.

Thank you for your replies everyone.  I must have failed to make myself clear.  I have all kinds of straight edges, flexible metal as well as Dymo tape and Tamiya flexible tape.  I have an UMM scriber, razor saw blades, pin vise with needle. 

What I don't have is steady, or small hands.  The proximity to the fuselage is kicking my ass.  In open areas, I can fix and refix my faults as long as I have patience.

I'm sure I'm not alone with this problem.  There must be an answer.

• Like 2

I will often tape the metal ruler I have to the model. This keeps it in place and I don't have my fingers in the way. 

Also, are you using light passes with the scriber or doing a single heavy pass? Doing multiple light passes gives you better control if you're not doing that already.

Otherwise, lasers? :D

Carl

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I will often tape the metal ruler I have to the model. This keeps it in place and I don't have my fingers in the way. 

Also, are you using light passes with the scriber or doing a single heavy pass? Doing multiple light passes gives you better control if you're not doing that already.

Otherwise, lasers? :D

Carl

I guess I'm not really doing anything different from anyone else.  Thank you for the help.

• Like 1

All I could add is physical suggestions.

Secure the model some how , so you hands are free.

Stabilize your forearms , lay them flat or somehow get them relaxed in a solid position.

It takes 30-60 seconds to scribe that line, if ya gotta glue your arms to the table for that then ....what are you waiting for!

• Like 2

On 2/4/2021 at 11:54 AM, krow113 said:

All I could add is physical suggestions.

Secure the model some how , so you hands are free.

Stabilize your forearms , lay them flat or somehow get them relaxed in a solid position.

It takes 30-60 seconds to scribe that line, if ya gotta glue your arms to the table for that then ....what are you waiting for!

Those are great suggestions I hadn't hear before.  Will give them a try.  Thank you,

• Like 1