The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Chipping: Which method do you prefer?

GazzaS

Chipping: hairspray/chipping fluid or sponge or brush  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which method of chipping do you prefer? If you want to tell us why, that would be great, too.

• Hairspray/chipping fluid
    • sponge
    • paiuntbrush

Not really any of the above

1. Undercoat with spray can lacquer...

2. Brush paint with half/half acrylic paint and weathering pencil solution...

3. Scratch away with toothpick while still wet...

4. Finish rough areas and highlights with Micromesh.

IMG_20210215_080839.thumb.jpg.4910b95dbe190764d8a24bbb9e0dc48f.jpg

Et viola!

• Like 5

Tried using the hairspray method and failed every time. So now i use AK Worn Effects (AK088). I also use paint to place chips too for a more precise control . But imho the AK solution is perfect. The Worn Effect solution gives you more control as it removes a smaller amount of paint then their other product 'Heavy Effects'. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AlanG said:

Tried using the hairspray method and failed every time. So now i use AK Worn Effects (AK088). I also use paint to place chips too for a more precise control . But imho the AK solution is perfect. The Worn Effect solution gives you more control as it removes a smaller amount of paint then their other product 'Heavy Effects'. 

Is this acrylic  ?....harv

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlanG said:

That is a perfect recommendation.

• Like 2

Hi Gaz, I will not give my vote to one option, because it so much depends on what you want to achieve. One method is adding layers (acrylics) another is to remove layers (hairspray) and the sponge or whatever you use is only an addition to the first method. Mostly, I will use the method, which is incorporated by the original. Chipping in reality is to get rid of layers and show what is beneath. If I want to get it right, I will use hairspray, sometimes multi layer hairspray, like primer colour, hairspray, base colour hairspray, second colour (if necessary) and expose different layers, by using various tools for abrasion. Then I add weathering effects on top, if needed.

Here is an example, the base layer is aluminum on the sides, wood on top, then hairspray, then semi gloss black, hairspray again and finally Nato black. The chipping was achieved after dampening the surface and use toothpicks tweezers, sanding tools and old stiff brushes. The idea was to replicate a tin like surface covered with a tar like colour, which has a different shining, where rubbed off. Finally algae and salt effects were added.
You get the idea, if you want to do it right, do it as if it is right, understand the material and the coatings and the kind of usage or surrounding influences.

P1150910.thumb.JPG.b1dca95c8dbd8bab07ca83ad6f8d5306.JPG

Dabbing on with a brush or sponge is simple and fast, can be enhanced, simulating multi layer dents and abrasions and can be good enough, if well made.

Here is a cheapo, not really convincing, but one of my examples for that second method.

P1140970.thumb.JPG.0a08bfb7badb5312362f738aadccf095.JPG

Chipping to me is a technique of imagining the real thing in it's surroundings and therefore an important part of the weathering process, to get a realistic result. There is a lot of experimenting involved, and a basic knowledge about the real thing, material wise, coating wise and an idea about the conditions.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

Thank you for your answers, fellas.

I'm not really confident of adding chips with a brush.  Maybe I need more practice....  but if kind of goes against my feeling that chipping is removing. 

sometimes my painted chips get too big or look too round.

I haven't been overly successful with hairspray.  I just feel I have too little control over how that hairspray comes out.  Like I just did the propeller on my fw 190 this AM...  and I can see texture from the hairspray.  I'm going to have to invest in some chipping fluid, I think.

I've done a little sponge chipping, and sometimes it comes out alright.  I actually think this has a lot more uses...  For instance, I've tried speckling on a few aircraft builds, and think some of the spots look out of scale.  But I am weathering some tires right now...again on my FW190...  whre I used the sponge method with oil paints to try to get that look of tires that have been over various surfaces and are no longer just black on the contact areas.

• Like 2

I've used chipping fluid a couple times but it took a couple tries to get the results and didn't always work. 

IMG_20200713_155235-600x450.jpg

I've tried rubber cement dabbed on with a sponge with mixed results. The spots were sometimes too big but in this case it worked. 

IMG_20170314_194206-338x450.jpg

For finer chips, I find the most control I have is with a Prismacolor pencil. I used it on the seats of my Corsairs. You keep a sharp tip and just randomly scribble on the seat. I think you have more control than using a paint brush. 

IMG_20161019_160100-600x450.jpg 20171216_001931-600x338.jpg

The best result for worn paint look was like Rob, I put down the base colour, then the primer and finally the colour topcoat. I then very lightly sanded through the paint until I got the worn look.  

IMG_20161216_214103-600x450.jpg

IMG_20161231_183100-600x450.jpg

It took a couple tries here as well but I think it gave me the result I wanted.

Carl

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Never had any luck with actual hairspray but the Ammo chipping and scratches effects fluids work very nicely. On bigger airframes like the 1/24 Typhoon I'm doing at the moment liquid frisket applied with a sponge or cocktail stick works great for biggish areas like the wear on the leading edges of the wings.

• Like 3