Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Our low last night was 1 degree! Right now it's a scorching 20 degrees. We have about 3 inches of snow and expect more snow and freezing rain late this evening. That's what I call toucas freezing weather! Pretty darn cold for NW Louisiana. I'm keeping my feet and lower legs warm by wearing a pair of my Luftwaffe flying boots. Still a useful item after something like 80 years. :)

boots.jpg

2-15-21 001.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well crap! Now my water lines have frozen even though I let them run. City is experiencing low water pressure and we are under a boil advisory. I'm glad I have enough H2O in my kettle for my morning coffee!

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Did you get more snow as well, John? Rather rare for your neck of the woods isn't it?

Yes, a bit more snow and more to come. Right now it's sleeting. Rather rare is a understatement! We MIGHT get a sprinkling of snow every winter but THIS is unheard of.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Since all my water lines are frozen I'm having to melt snow in order to be able to flush the crapper. I sure will be glad when they un-freeze!:unsure:

Now that some of the stuff on the roof is melting a bit just stick a bucket under it. No labor to speak of involved.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, krow113 said:

lol

ya gots to keep atap dribbling to avoid freeze up!

I'm not stupid. I had 'em all running last night but they froze anyway. Likely due to the low water pressure we are having.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

If you have a paint stripper gun, you could use that to try and defrost the pipes. 

Nope. SOL At least it seems the worst is past us although it will stay very cold at night. I think the main cause of the water problem is the city wasn't prepared for how cold it got (1 degree). Lots of distribution lines froze and broke plus the elevated water tanks are mostly empty. Latest prognostication from our esteemed mayor is up to 48 hours and maybe more before we can see relief. I have a small supply of drinking water on hand but it won't last long. I might have to try to get to a store and pick some up IF THEY HAVE ANY. BUMMER! :unsure:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnB said:

Nope. SOL At least it seems the worst is past us although it will stay very cold at night. I think the main cause of the water problem is the city wasn't prepared for how cold it got (1 degree). Lots of distribution lines froze and broke plus the elevated water tanks are mostly empty. Latest prognostication from our esteemed mayor is up to 48 hours and maybe more before we can see relief. I have a small supply of drinking water on hand but it won't last long. I might have to try to get to a store and pick some up IF THEY HAVE ANY. BUMMER! :unsure:

Whiskey, John..... it's natures own anti-freeze ! :rofl:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Is that a litre or a gallon?

Litre, apparently we went to the 'metric' system many years ago as our 'Mother Country" ( England) was ALL metric.... LOL!! I very roughly convert it to a gallon and it would be about just under 5 bucks a gallon give or take....

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jeff said:

Litre, apparently we went to the 'metric' system many years ago as our 'Mother Country" ( England) was ALL metric.... LOL!! I very roughly convert it to a gallon and it would be about just under 5 bucks a gallon give or take....

Except the UK has never gone 'properly' metric. They still teach the kids a hybrid mix in schools, speed limits and distance signs still use miles and most people still do heights and weights in imperial. I'm surprised after Brexit we haven't all had our minds wiped to get rid of the nasty metric stuff!

As a scientist I switch kind of automatically in my head but there's always the odd cock up. Best I remember was the Mars probe that suffered a rather hard landing due to an error in conversion. Bet someone got a new calculator after that one!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy Cow :omg:,

It's snowing again today here on Long Island :hsmack:. We still have a boat load of snow left from the last storm and this latest storm should leave close to another foot of snow. From two straight years of almost no snow 9close to our average of a few inches, to a good size snow storm every week. Right now the worst effect of the storm is missed chemo sessions. But the bright side, we have heat and electic.

Guys - stay safe and warm

Peter

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Holy Cow :omg:,

It's snowing again today here on Long Island :hsmack:. We still have a boat load of snow left from the last storm and this latest storm should leave close to another foot of snow. From two straight years of almost no snow 9close to our average of a few inches, to a good size snow storm every week. Right now the worst effect of the storm is missed chemo sessions. But the bright side, we have heat and electic.

Guys - stay safe and warm

Peter

 

Things are supposed to get better here tomorrow although the low tonight and tomorrow night is forecast as 16. Still too damn cold! At least I too have lights and heat, just NO FRIGGIN' WATER. And due to all the snow on my steps that has turned into 3" thick ice sheets I can't go out past my porch. Now they are telling us we should have SOME water by Sunday. Give us a break already!!!!

  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, JohnB said:

My front steps.

2-19-21 002.jpg

HOLY !!!!  Even we don't get that kind of ice here, you must've got a LOT of freezing rain.............. I have never seen anything quite like that..... I suppose the next thing will be local flooding..... I wonder what all the 'reptiles' are doing to stay ahead of this?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...