Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Fw190A-8 3/JG1 crash Vreeland

3 hours ago, JeroenPeters said:

So I couldn’t really understand why Eduard did not produce the wingroot mg151 gun bays. Found Aires does so ordered it:

A1E0CE47-3C6A-4AA8-9D9F-4D0F2833A82D.jpeg

There is huge plastic box... somewhere in The Netherlands... which contains these parts... ;);)

All you had to do was send the new owner a message! ;)

• Like 6

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Rowdy said:

There is huge plastic box... somewhere in The Netherlands... which contains these parts... ;);)

All you had to do was send the new owner a message! ;)

Pffff.. this was made especially for the Revell kit so might need less surgery. On the other hand: it is Aires so might need more.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Wumm said:

You've really skipped along with some great work here Jeroen.

Ok, so can I ask... What have you used for the breather pipes between cylinder heads?

S

Thnx! I used 0,4mm greencard rod. Cut them to length as per instructions (6,1mm) and they fit tight and stay secured even without glue. 

• Like 6

21 hours ago, JeroenPeters said:

So i learned that the pushrods go in before you glue the cilinders. No problem to correct but it could have gone easier.

7836ADE9-583C-4014-B135-8FECFCB09274.jpeg

Wouldn't you want to paint the cylinders, pushrods and the like before fitting them? Reaching all those different colored items looks to me like being a pain in the sphincter after assembly....

As you may remember from the SIG-chat, my personal theory is that the cylinders were made of steel and painted black (so as not to rust) while the cylinder heads and valve covers were aluminium...

I know the American radial engines had black cooling baffles around the cylinders and atop the cylinder heads. In one of my books on the Fw 190, a restored museum engine had aluminium colored baffles fitted....

If that is accurate, the Americans probably used stamped sheet steel, painted black, while the Germans used stamped aluminium sheet?

• Like 5

The BMW 801 at the IWM:

BMW_801D_Duxford.jpg

The rust on the cylinders shows it's steel, while the cylinder heads are aluminium. BMW 801 at Fort Veldhuis Museum:

14_cylinder_BMW_801_D-2_radial_engine_as

And some photo documentation from warbirdsnews.com. The photos are via Andor Burnáczki:

801-1.jpg

801-2.jpg

11_1.jpg

121.jpg

20.jpg

3-Balde.jpg

16.jpg

102-2.jpg

23.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 3/11/2021 at 5:41 AM, JeroenPeters said:

Thnx! I used 0,4mm greencard rod. Cut them to length as per instructions (6,1mm) and they fit tight and stay secured even without glue. 

What company is the 0.4mm rod from? I can't find any that small anywhere. Smallest i can find is 0.5mm.

NB. Found some now. Plastruct do a 0.38mm rod :)

Edited by AlanG
Found some in the required size
  • Like 4

• Administrators

A small break from the engine. Working on the gun bays. Made one mistake: i glued in the reinforcement spar on the lower wing. Dont use this part if you’re planning to install the gunbays. Carving it out now with the Dremel, since the glue won’t let go.

Not a big problem. Just a lot of extra work. In any case: you’ll have to sand the wing and resin down to the nitty gritty to make it fit...

9F441F3F-25C2-4EE1-9DF4-68441BE9B758.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1