The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Thoughts for our friends down under

HubertB

49 minutes ago, HubertB said:

Hi guys,

I hope that you and your houses have been spared by the floods in Eastern Australia.

Hang tight if its near you.

Hubert

Not near enough to flood me out.  But I will say, that is is the rainiest summer in my 19 years in Australia.

• Like 3

It's very serious in some parts Jeff...

Not so much where Gaz and I are in South East Queensland, some localised flooding in parts of Brisbane, the Gold Coast and Hinterland. Last week; one place halfway up the coast got half a metre's rainfall in a day, half the yearly average in one 24 hour period. My Mum lives 30 miles away, and got absolutely nothing on the same day!

IMG_20210323_045607.thumb.jpg.bfa92c7b6e2e634ffe5225ca0e32981a.jpg

New South Wales is copping it worst. There is a mass of warm tropical air moving eastwards, mixing with moisture-laden air out over the Coral Sea coming back west after the remnants of Cyclone Niran from a fortnight ago. Some parts of NSW received almost a metre of rain in the past 96 hours, and the Dams and road infrastructure just can't cope. Parts of the Country that were subject to a once in a Century Fire season last year, are having once in a Century floods this year. However, they knew we were due for a La Nina year after years of drought, so the Authorities can't say they weren't warned.

S

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wumm said:

It's very serious in some parts Jeff...

Not so much where Gaz and I are in South East Queensland, some localised flooding in parts of Brisbane, the Gold Coast and Hinterland. Last week; one place halfway up the coast got half a metre's rainfall in a day, half the yearly average in one 24 hour period. My Mum lives 30 miles away, and got absolutely nothing on the same day!

IMG_20210323_045607.thumb.jpg.bfa92c7b6e2e634ffe5225ca0e32981a.jpg

New South Wales is copping it worst. There is a mass of warm tropical air moving eastwards, mixing with moisture-laden air out over the Coral Sea coming back west after the remnants of Cyclone Niran from a fortnight ago. Some parts of NSW received almost a metre of rain in the past 96 hours, and the Dams and road infrastructure just can't cope. Parts of the Country that were subject to a once in a Century Fire season last year, are having once in a Century floods this year. However, they knew we were due for a La Nina year after years of drought, so the Authorities can't say they weren't warned.

S

That's crazy ...........................  hope everyone will be able to plow through this...........................

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

That's crazy ...........................  hope everyone will be able to plow through this...........................

This is part of the problem Jeff...

Stoopid people out driving around, pushing waves of floodwaters through other's houses, instead of staying at home.

IMG_20210323_123236.thumb.jpg.481d9b17a5eb4de426f2302521c2f2f6.jpg

S

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Glad to hear you're not affected but you're right about those folks not staying home causing further grief for others. Nevermind if they should then get into trouble and need rescuing and thereby putting others in danger. 

Sigh.

• Like 3

Well ...

Here in Perth Western Australia it's pretty much same old same old ...

We did have a 1 week patch of rain in January following a slightly unusual weather system combination of a Cyclone out in the middle of the Indian ocean coupled with a weird seasonally unusual intense low pressure storm of the southern most tip of the west coast. 

But my greatest sympathies go out to that lot over east ... if it isn't a major famine ... its a well overcooked flood!!

Rog :)

• Like 2

Yeh, they call us the land of fire and flood for a good reason.  Ironically all the "climate experts" were telling us how rain would never come back to Australia and "global warming" would mean endless drought.....Tim Flannery, calling Tim Flannery...nope he's nowhere to be seen at the moment. In Victoria the state government was so scared by Flannery and his alarmism that they built a billion dollar desalination plant.....that has barely produced a drop of water and costs us tax payers 1 million dollars a day NOT to produce water, because it started raining again. *sigh......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Wumm said:

The up-shot is...

It's great weather for Frogs!

IMG_20210323_205145.thumb.jpg.d4c6feaed2282adf221efbacd7867dde.jpg

S

I have read not so much for snakes and spiders, who find refuge in the houses. Knowing how nasty the Australian fauna can be, I’d be extra cautious going back home after the flood :o

Hubert

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yeh that is the one thing you have to be careful of if there is a fire or flood; all those critters will be looking for dry ground away from the water/fire too. Good news is once the water goes down, they will move off, they really don't want to be around you anymore than you want to be around them. I've lived next to and around open fields for many years (not so much these days as the area has been built up) and I've only seen a snake in the wild a couple of times. 

As a kid the freeway that goes at the back of my house was just a huge open field of long grass, friends and I use to go walking through it down to the river near by, there were 100% snakes in that field, never saw one. If walking in long grass, stomp your feet, snakes are deaf but they will feel your footsteps and quickly get out of your way.

• Like 2