Jump to content

DB605 Engine 1/18 scale HPH


Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

I am going for the construction of the famous DB605 engine that powered most of the Me 109's. It's a kit that had my attention for a while now, it's released a number of years ago bij HPH , they also do the Packard Merlin engine in 1/18 scale, ( that will probably be my next build)

But here's the kit,

IMG_0285.jpg.3d5c1367e43a57c7c2936c9a05cfeff5.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg.f7f3e600ffa264fe883fb6e9d142eb19.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg.daf1ea95b529bd0c66c5678060fb9d2b.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg.5684229d7b4860b82b652be53c81c95c.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg.908c0630608349b26380c4fde795ab7f.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg.c0f7ad6d13514d74661239da95a3ded1.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg.f4b37d6abc7ecc1ed6043271f95a2a5e.jpg

 

 

IMG_0294.jpg.4dcfc66824043cb411670153ed9f26ea.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg.c924cab31aa63824d2003758a9e2160a.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg.c1aeb17ae4e70fa5c2e7d7c47a9b4c6c.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg.e92bae9038634fee2bdca46bae039fa2.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg.f59203c9379a6cf7aab217cb31a5567b.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg.b3d114da7253f24405696b25d8e8d063.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg.2262a0d4a3cb1aa8b7d394e5fba41b39.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg.ef1042825892f2bb65cdcf7517beb47e.jpg

The box is full of resin parts, the detailing of the parts is excellent, and in 1/18th scale they are HUGE , I hope I can do this famous engine justice, when done it should look like this,

IMG_0276.jpg.a9c7e131de7fa9609985532e0e2e61a9.jpg

In the box is also a cd with building instructions and a parts breakdown, I also ordered the stand, (doesn't come with the kit) , it's worth it's money, and I want to display it as good as possible

there is also a nice pe fret with the exhaust gaskets and a plate that is to be glued on the stand with the engine number,

 

IMG_0283.jpg.ff32a73b28e50d1643a64e17890e5bb5.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg.fa689f50f84288f81edf7973864e4724.jpg

Enough said , so on with the build.................

Fiets I cleaned up al the parts from the resin sheets and started with the main construction of the engine block ,

IMG_0322.jpg.6205c651d0b3fe5aa7ebca298d5e9c5f.jpg

Glued the cilinder heads to the engine block, and added the ignition wires with the tube that holds them , also mounted the supercharger

(The DB 605  is an inverted V12 ) After that I added the fuel injection pump on the bottom of the engine and added the injection lines to the pump,

The injection system was a great advantage of this engine over the merlin engine that had a carburetor , the 109 could fly inverted and the engine would still be running thanks to the fuel injection system, while in the early spitfire's the engine would shut down when pulling negative G's, the carburetor didn't get any fuel under those circumstances and the engine would shut down. They English solved this problem later on, but at first the Germans made grateful use of this flaw,

IMG_0324.jpg.474bd9a826822ebf4c65704377092480.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg.3f8294f432f3dc6c0a61646ef1ca2123.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg.7a81b41a404a948a1b301ec7e4531529.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg.d080beb43daba9a2bc9124e14344e711.jpg

Fuel pump and fuel lines in place , made of lead wire

That is it for now, will try to update regularly , (als got the HPH Catalina going on), so stay tuned,

 

Frank

 

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Trigger said:

Hi guys,

I am going for the construction of the famous DB605 engine that powered most of the Me 109's. It's a kit that had my attention for a while now, it's released a number of years ago bij HPH , they also do the Packard Merlin engine in 1/18 scale, ( that will probably be my next build)

But here's the kit,

IMG_0285.jpg.3d5c1367e43a57c7c2936c9a05cfeff5.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg.f7f3e600ffa264fe883fb6e9d142eb19.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg.daf1ea95b529bd0c66c5678060fb9d2b.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg.5684229d7b4860b82b652be53c81c95c.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg.908c0630608349b26380c4fde795ab7f.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg.c0f7ad6d13514d74661239da95a3ded1.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg.f4b37d6abc7ecc1ed6043271f95a2a5e.jpg

 

 

IMG_0294.jpg.4dcfc66824043cb411670153ed9f26ea.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg.c924cab31aa63824d2003758a9e2160a.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg.c1aeb17ae4e70fa5c2e7d7c47a9b4c6c.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg.e92bae9038634fee2bdca46bae039fa2.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg.f59203c9379a6cf7aab217cb31a5567b.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg.b3d114da7253f24405696b25d8e8d063.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg.2262a0d4a3cb1aa8b7d394e5fba41b39.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg.ef1042825892f2bb65cdcf7517beb47e.jpg

The box is full of resin parts, the detailing of the parts is excellent, and in 1/18th scale they are HUGE , I hope I can do this famous engine justice, when done it should look like this,

IMG_0276.jpg.a9c7e131de7fa9609985532e0e2e61a9.jpg

In the box is also a cd with building instructions and a parts breakdown, I also ordered the stand, (doesn't come with the kit) , it's worth it's money, and I want to display it as good as possible

there is also a nice pe fret with the exhaust gaskets and a plate that is to be glued on the stand with the engine number,

 

IMG_0283.jpg.ff32a73b28e50d1643a64e17890e5bb5.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg.fa689f50f84288f81edf7973864e4724.jpg

Enough said , so on with the build.................

Fiets I cleaned up al the parts from the resin sheets and started with the main construction of the engine block ,

IMG_0322.jpg.6205c651d0b3fe5aa7ebca298d5e9c5f.jpg

Glued the cilinder heads to the engine block, and added the ignition wires with the tube that holds them , also mounted the supercharger

(The DB 605  is an inverted V12 ) After that I added the fuel injection pump on the bottom of the engine and added the injection lines to the pump,

The injection system was a great advantage of this engine over the merlin engine that had a carburetor , the 109 could fly inverted and the engine would still be running thanks to the fuel injection system, while in the early spitfire's the engine would shut down when pulling negative G's, the carburetor didn't get any fuel under those circumstances and the engine would shut down. They English solved this problem later on, but at first the Germans made grateful use of this flaw,

IMG_0324.jpg.474bd9a826822ebf4c65704377092480.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg.3f8294f432f3dc6c0a61646ef1ca2123.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg.7a81b41a404a948a1b301ec7e4531529.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg.d080beb43daba9a2bc9124e14344e711.jpg

Fuel pump and fuel lines in place , made of lead wire

That is it for now, will try to update regularly , (als got the HPH Catalina going on), so stay tuned,

 

Frank

 

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

Interesting subject Frank! I haven’t even heard of a DB 605 engine in that scale. 
Since I‘m a fan of the 109 I will follow your build with great interest.

You made a good start on the subject! Curious how it will go on!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Guys,

Here's an update on the DB605, done with the prop, put some metal rods in the propellor blades for strength/support, the propellor hub is a one piece solid cast and is pretty heavy, painted the hub black and the spiral in white, looks good in my opinion. the color callout from HPH states that the blades are black, so I painted them in that color (dark green would also  have been an option), but look for yourself..

IMG_1611.jpg.d6dfcf6c395f3cf2c5d0fc1b32fa5e5f.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg.2ec4a23c87c23529fa128c287b75b24d.jpg

still need to align the blades in the right angle, just test fitting,

also build the firewall with the MG mounts and munition feed belts

IMG_1613.jpg.8665f5730235562d4d8a662576ba6d87.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg.d781fc4000a9d0169be5d114b1662b92.jpg

I must paint the MG's in gun metal, they are only test fitted foR NOW,

And then of course the eingineblock, painted it black, put the decals on.....

IMG_0331.jpg.645f0eaf4b2e647dc788779736cbf6c5.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg.a8fed36f7a4ff42308c71cf99d01fe04.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg.fb74f25d05349ff75bd8444e6d91e842.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg.d821a9ca2384efba2c38204e33e6cda8.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg.d821a9ca2384efba2c38204e33e6cda8.jpg

image.jpeg.72fcb238666138ab93a863a12cd37756.jpeg

And withe the exhaust gaskets in place.....

IMG_0347.jpg.90b06c0e6c3618e2db843f13a9781f37.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg.da5401b8c4a112efb99d1aef13b013c4.jpg

Awesome engine, and a pleasure to build, beware though you must test fit everything before you glue anything, and think two steps ahead, but I think i'am getting there,

Until the next update......

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Trigger said:

Hello Guys,

Here's an update on the DB605, done with the prop, put some metal rods in the propellor blades for strength/support, the propellor hub is a one piece solid cast and is pretty heavy, painted the hub black and the spiral in white, looks good in my opinion. the color callout from HPH states that the blades are black, so I painted them in that color (dark green would also  have been an option), but look for yourself..

IMG_1611.jpg.d6dfcf6c395f3cf2c5d0fc1b32fa5e5f.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg.2ec4a23c87c23529fa128c287b75b24d.jpg

still need to align the blades in the right angle, just test fitting,

also build the firewall with the MG mounts and munition feed belts

IMG_1613.jpg.8665f5730235562d4d8a662576ba6d87.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg.d781fc4000a9d0169be5d114b1662b92.jpg

I must paint the MG's in gun metal, they are only test fitted foR NOW,

And then of course the eingineblock, painted it black, put the decals on.....

IMG_0331.jpg.645f0eaf4b2e647dc788779736cbf6c5.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg.a8fed36f7a4ff42308c71cf99d01fe04.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg.fb74f25d05349ff75bd8444e6d91e842.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg.d821a9ca2384efba2c38204e33e6cda8.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg.d821a9ca2384efba2c38204e33e6cda8.jpg

image.jpeg.72fcb238666138ab93a863a12cd37756.jpeg

And withe the exhaust gaskets in place.....

IMG_0347.jpg.90b06c0e6c3618e2db843f13a9781f37.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg.da5401b8c4a112efb99d1aef13b013c4.jpg

Awesome engine, and a pleasure to build, beware though you must test fit everything before you glue anything, and think two steps ahead, but I think i'am getting there,

Until the next update......

 

 

 

 

Great and awesome progress on the DB 605 Frank! 

The propeller is beautiful especially the cap with the spiral on it. I personally would paint the propeller blades Black-Green RLM70. This is how I painted mine on my 32nd Scale 109s.

Test-Fitting and thinking 2 steps ahead ? Is HPH a sister company of Italeri? ;)

Curious how this will go on!

Kai

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Great and awesome progress on the DB 605 Frank! 

The propeller is beautiful especially the cap with the spiral on it. I personally would paint the propeller blades Black-Green RLM70. This is how I painted mine on my 32nd Scale 109s.

Test-Fitting and thinking 2 steps ahead ? Is HPH a sister company of Italeri? ;)

Curious how this will go on!

Kai

 

Ha, Ha, ha, well at least you still have your humor, in the end that is going to save you, (I think you are also right about the color of the blades, I didn't seem right to me too in black, so I think I'll repaint them in rlm70 as you suggested).

Thanks for the response,

Frank

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Guy's

Time for another update on the DB605, really put some effort in to it, got a lot of things done, first I repainted the propellor blades in rlm70, black/green

looks better in my opinion, although the HPH color callout says it should be black. I have built a few 109' s, and the propellers where RLM70, so here they are

IMG_1622.jpg.c6f22e49bd35346e1327313a54066a86.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg.d956e101f71b952dd9563e074ad0a1e8.jpg

Then I went for the construction of the motorframe/ engine supports. Took a lot of testfitting/ sanding to get the engine properly aligned 

Had to adjust the firewall a bit to get the side supports in to place, the lower struts were a nightmare to get right, broke both of them

Drilled tiny holes in the length of the lower engine bearers and inserted 0.2 mm metal rod to get the necessary strength to hold the engine, (it's one big lump of massive resin) so it weighs a lot. Also put metal pins in to the side of the engine block to support the main bearers, only ca glue didn't do the trick, the engine is just to heavy. (like the real thing I can imagine). But finally got there, once the engine was in place I started constructing some coolant pipes from lead wire, and put some tanks on the side of the engine. I am no trying to get the front coolant tank in the right position so I can align it withe the propellor. It is not going as I want, but I will get there in the end, (you can see three copper metal rods sticking out of the tank, used the same rods to get the engine in place and attach the supports to the engine), Got a lot done I think,  until the next update......

IMG_1628.jpg.af66b486986c12ddbb6c704cd20fd1ef.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg.e68ad331d7b05a9d186fe785f3c8a073.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg.883a5b7c1dd15d55c80721bfba3311dd.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg.afd0c1677b59c1bc89f50c382a45054c.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg.8510eb797b8726cd6cae4c8e69fd35af.jpgIMG_1633.jpg.46c11f60e2a98a12cfc80ee5ed16d1a4.jpg

It's really coming together now, it's a nice kit to build, but not without it's challenges, it is really beginning to look like an operational DB 605 , what do you guy's think?

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trigger said:

Hello Guy's

Time for another update on the DB605, really put some effort in to it, got a lot of things done, first I repainted the propellor blades in rlm70, black/green

looks better in my opinion, although the HPH color callout says it should be black. I have built a few 109' s, and the propellers where RLM70, so here they are

IMG_1622.jpg.c6f22e49bd35346e1327313a54066a86.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg.d956e101f71b952dd9563e074ad0a1e8.jpg

Then I went for the construction of the motorframe/ engine supports. Took a lot of testfitting/ sanding to get the engine properly aligned 

Had to adjust the firewall a bit to get the side supports in to place, the lower struts were a nightmare to get right, broke both of them

Drilled tiny holes in the length of the lower engine bearers and inserted 0.2 mm metal rod to get the necessary strength to hold the engine, (it's one big lump of massive resin) so it weighs a lot. Also put metal pins in to the side of the engine block to support the main bearers, only ca glue didn't do the trick, the engine is just to heavy. (like the real thing I can imagine). But finally got there, once the engine was in place I started constructing some coolant pipes from lead wire, and put some tanks on the side of the engine. I am no trying to get the front coolant tank in the right position so I can align it withe the propellor. It is not going as I want, but I will get there in the end, (you can see three copper metal rods sticking out of the tank, used the same rods to get the engine in place and attach the supports to the engine), Got a lot done I think,  until the next update......

IMG_1628.jpg.af66b486986c12ddbb6c704cd20fd1ef.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg.e68ad331d7b05a9d186fe785f3c8a073.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg.883a5b7c1dd15d55c80721bfba3311dd.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg.afd0c1677b59c1bc89f50c382a45054c.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg.8510eb797b8726cd6cae4c8e69fd35af.jpgIMG_1633.jpg.46c11f60e2a98a12cfc80ee5ed16d1a4.jpg

It's really coming together now, it's a nice kit to build, but not without it's challenges, it is really beginning to look like an operational DB 605 , what do you guy's think?

 

That looks great Frank! And the propeller blades are much better now !

Your work really make me think about to buy one too. Have to look if it’s still available and at which price.

Looking forward to the next update! 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Frank
Yikes, what a fantastic project - your DB looks brilliant. You are easily on your way to bringing the DB 605 to life.

I just started ZM’s Heinkel He219 with inverted dual DB 603 Engines and the delicate plumbing has been a struggle as my hands just aren’t perfectly steady yet. Glad to see you went with semi gloss black for the block color instead of Aluminum as ZM’s call for. I went with semi gloss black  As you. Should be starting my build thread in a few days

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

That looks great Frank! And the propeller blades are much better now !

Your work really make me think about to buy one too. Have to look if it’s still available and at which price.

Looking forward to the next update! 

Hello Kai,

I agree on the prop blades, looking way better now, and I think color wise also more accurate, this kit is stil for sale direct from hph. (www.hphmodels.cz),

for €60,- euro's. I think the price is good, you get a lot of extra's, a pe fret, decals and some wiring. You don't have to get anything extra to build this kit, it's very complete, and builds in to a fantastic (iconic) engine.( They also have the Packard Rolls Royce Merlin as mounted in the Mustang, I have ordered that one too, looks great when mounted on a stand, and I also love the Merlin, talking about iconic engines.)

Thanks for the response, The Mirage already looks better with the IDF colors on the intakes, painting is always the reward for the preparations you have done, and keeps you motivated to keep going, following with interest,

Frank

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Frank
Yikes, what a fantastic project - your DB looks brilliant. You are easily on your way to bringing the DB 605 to life.

I just started ZM’s Heinkel He219 with inverted dual DB 603 Engines and the delicate plumbing has been a struggle as my hands just aren’t perfectly steady yet. Glad to see you went with semi gloss black for the block color instead of Aluminum as ZM’s call for. I went with semi gloss black  As you. Should be starting my build thread in a few days

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Hello Peter,

Wow, the ZM kit is a real challenge, I have been wanting to buy a HE219 for some time now, I am not sure to buy the Revell kit or the ZM kit, the ZM kit is without a doubt much more detailed. I think you are right about the color of the engines, the only reason the Germans didn't paint them black is because the HE219 came out late in the war, and they where running low on supplies, so they made use of what they could get their  hands on. The HE219 was by the way the first aircraft with an ejector seat, so the design was very cutting edge for that period. Looking forward to your build thread, the UHU is one of my favorite German aircraft. I hope your hands do improve, no better way to do that while modeling. It must be a nightmare to lose control over your hands, I certainly would be frustrated when you have to do things with your hands that normally would be "simple" , and now takes hours to get right.

Keep going, (although it might be a struggle), it's so rewarding to see a model grow in to a complete aircraft,

Cheers,

Frank

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Your engine looks brilliant Frank, time to build an opened up 109 around in a maintenance scene :D. The scale seems to be perfect for representing these ionic engines. Keep up your nice work.

Cheers Rob

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Your engine looks brilliant Frank, time to build an opened up 109 around in a maintenance scene :D. The scale seems to be perfect for representing these ionic engines. Keep up your nice work.

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the response, an opened up 109 is a great idea, (they do make a scale 1/18 version of a BF1O9E at hph, without an engine), so who knows, I might just do that, the only setback is the price  costs "just" €475,- euro's :wacko:, but I like the idea, and I think no one has done it before in this scale.

Cheers,

Frank

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Frank, I saw this kit some time ago on the HPH page. Too big for me, but after mastering the Cat, what can really hinder you? ;)  

Cheers Rob

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...